Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
      HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
      command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
      Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
      the Help commands.

      Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
      they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
      double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
      for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
      exactly the same.

      Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

      -Th

      Jon Green wrote:
      > Jon Green wrote:
      >
      >>Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
      >>

      >>>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      >>>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
      >>>Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
      >>>
      >>>Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
      >>>HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
      >>>also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
      >>>to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
      >>>longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
      >>>matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
      >>>express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
      >>>"real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
      >>>Windows.
      >>>

      >>Help -> GeneralHelp
      >>
      >>search "HistoryGroupVariables"
      >>
      >>There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?
      >>
      >>Jon.
      >>

      > Help -> GeneralHelp
      >
      > search "history"
      >
      > Brings up loads more references (as would be expected as the search is wider) and I'm still
      > on UNIX ?
      >
      > Jon.
    • Meino Christian Cramer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
        Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

        > HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
        > command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
        > Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
        > the Help commands.
        >
        > Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
        > they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
        > double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
        > for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
        > exactly the same.
        >
        > Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

        I am not CC'ing you...it is my EMailer.
        The header of the mail I am getting from the list looks like this:

        From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

        Pressing 'a' for 'answer' (which is the normal way I respong to mail
        results in a mail with this header:

        To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com, thundt@...
        From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
        Fcc: +sent_mail

        which in turn sends the mail to you personally and to the list, since
        my mailer does not know. that you are reading the list and your
        personal mails.

        I will remove the extra entry manually so that you will no longer get
        a "personal copy".

        On the other side: It would be interesting to figure out, why this
        happens not with other mailinglists (I am subscribed to a few).

        Any idea?

        -mcc