Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2 1:59 AM
      From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
      Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700

      Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
      HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
      also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
      to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
      longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
      matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
      express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
      "real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
      Windows.

      Grrrmpfff...

      It seems that -- despite the the fact that in design and look&feel Microemacs
      is rooted in the Unix world -- if one needs help one better switch to
      Windows...

      Ah..by the way ... me.ehf is installed...

      Have a nicer weekend,
      Meino

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2 5:45 AM
        Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
        > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        > Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
        > Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
        >
        > Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
        > HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
        > also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
        > to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
        > longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
        > matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
        > express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
        > "real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
        > Windows.

        Help -> GeneralHelp

        search "HistoryGroupVariables"

        There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?

        Jon.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2 5:51 AM
          Jon Green wrote:
          > Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
          >
          >>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
          >>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
          >>Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
          >>
          >>Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
          >>HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
          >>also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
          >>to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
          >>longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
          >>matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
          >>express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
          >>"real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
          >>Windows.
          >>

          > Help -> GeneralHelp
          >
          > search "HistoryGroupVariables"
          >
          > There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?
          >
          > Jon.

          Help -> GeneralHelp

          search "history"

          Brings up loads more references (as would be expected as the search is wider) and I'm still
          on UNIX ?

          Jon.
        • Meino Christian Cramer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2 6:03 AM
            From: Jon Green <jon@...>
            Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:45:35 +0100

            Ok :)

            MicroEmacs : Newbie Meino

            1 : 0

            :))

            Thanks for the Hint, Jon!

            Meino

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2 10:00 AM
              HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
              command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
              Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
              the Help commands.

              Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
              they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
              double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
              for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
              exactly the same.

              Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

              -Th

              Jon Green wrote:
              > Jon Green wrote:
              >
              >>Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
              >>

              >>>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
              >>>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
              >>>Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
              >>>
              >>>Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
              >>>HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
              >>>also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
              >>>to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
              >>>longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
              >>>matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
              >>>express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
              >>>"real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
              >>>Windows.
              >>>

              >>Help -> GeneralHelp
              >>
              >>search "HistoryGroupVariables"
              >>
              >>There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?
              >>
              >>Jon.
              >>

              > Help -> GeneralHelp
              >
              > search "history"
              >
              > Brings up loads more references (as would be expected as the search is wider) and I'm still
              > on UNIX ?
              >
              > Jon.
            • Meino Christian Cramer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2 11:14 AM
                From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

                > HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
                > command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
                > Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
                > the Help commands.
                >
                > Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
                > they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
                > double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
                > for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
                > exactly the same.
                >
                > Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

                I am not CC'ing you...it is my EMailer.
                The header of the mail I am getting from the list looks like this:

                From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

                Pressing 'a' for 'answer' (which is the normal way I respong to mail
                results in a mail with this header:

                To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com, thundt@...
                From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
                Fcc: +sent_mail

                which in turn sends the mail to you personally and to the list, since
                my mailer does not know. that you are reading the list and your
                personal mails.

                I will remove the extra entry manually so that you will no longer get
                a "personal copy".

                On the other side: It would be interesting to figure out, why this
                happens not with other mailinglists (I am subscribed to a few).

                Any idea?

                -mcc