Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
      Forget grepping the html documentation. Let Windows do it for you:
      Install the me.hlp file (Windows help file), open it, and use the
      Search>Find feature (which indexes every word in the file).

      If you insist on operating under Unix, I would suggest one of the
      html2txt commands that will strip out all the html. Then at least
      grepping would become easier.

      Searching for "history" brought up all kinds of interesting stuff,
      including HistoryGroupVariables(4) which may be what you want.

      Good luck

      -Th

      Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
      > for the region aware replace-string macro I want to access
      > the history ("previous replace-string entries") from within that
      > macro.
      >
      > I have grepped through the me-doc with the keyword "history" which
      > gaves me a lot of mostly unreadable html code.
      >
      > I have used ^h-a with the keywords "history" and replace and found
      > nothing, which seems to be appropiate -- at least for me, who tries
      > to search for something which has to be identified by this search.
      >
      > So I want to ask in this mailing list, where I can search further --
      > or -- what keywords will point me to a match, which will explain,
      > what I am searching.
      >

      > Kind regards,
      > Meino
    • Meino Christian Cramer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
        Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700

        Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
        HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
        also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
        to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
        longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
        matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
        express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
        "real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
        Windows.

        Grrrmpfff...

        It seems that -- despite the the fact that in design and look&feel Microemacs
        is rooted in the Unix world -- if one needs help one better switch to
        Windows...

        Ah..by the way ... me.ehf is installed...

        Have a nicer weekend,
        Meino

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
          > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
          > Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
          > Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
          >
          > Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
          > HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
          > also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
          > to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
          > longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
          > matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
          > express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
          > "real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
          > Windows.

          Help -> GeneralHelp

          search "HistoryGroupVariables"

          There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?

          Jon.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
            Jon Green wrote:
            > Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
            >
            >>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
            >>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
            >>Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
            >>
            >>Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
            >>HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
            >>also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
            >>to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
            >>longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
            >>matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
            >>express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
            >>"real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
            >>Windows.
            >>

            > Help -> GeneralHelp
            >
            > search "HistoryGroupVariables"
            >
            > There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?
            >
            > Jon.

            Help -> GeneralHelp

            search "history"

            Brings up loads more references (as would be expected as the search is wider) and I'm still
            on UNIX ?

            Jon.
          • Meino Christian Cramer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
              From: Jon Green <jon@...>
              Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:45:35 +0100

              Ok :)

              MicroEmacs : Newbie Meino

              1 : 0

              :))

              Thanks for the Hint, Jon!

              Meino

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
                command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
                Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
                the Help commands.

                Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
                they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
                double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
                for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
                exactly the same.

                Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

                -Th

                Jon Green wrote:
                > Jon Green wrote:
                >
                >>Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                >>

                >>>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                >>>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
                >>>Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
                >>>
                >>>Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
                >>>HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
                >>>also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
                >>>to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
                >>>longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
                >>>matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
                >>>express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
                >>>"real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
                >>>Windows.
                >>>

                >>Help -> GeneralHelp
                >>
                >>search "HistoryGroupVariables"
                >>
                >>There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?
                >>
                >>Jon.
                >>

                > Help -> GeneralHelp
                >
                > search "history"
                >
                > Brings up loads more references (as would be expected as the search is wider) and I'm still
                > on UNIX ?
                >
                > Jon.
              • Meino Christian Cramer
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                  From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                  Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

                  > HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
                  > command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
                  > Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
                  > the Help commands.
                  >
                  > Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
                  > they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
                  > double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
                  > for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
                  > exactly the same.
                  >
                  > Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

                  I am not CC'ing you...it is my EMailer.
                  The header of the mail I am getting from the list looks like this:

                  From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                  To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

                  Pressing 'a' for 'answer' (which is the normal way I respong to mail
                  results in a mail with this header:

                  To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com, thundt@...
                  From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
                  Fcc: +sent_mail

                  which in turn sends the mail to you personally and to the list, since
                  my mailer does not know. that you are reading the list and your
                  personal mails.

                  I will remove the extra entry manually so that you will no longer get
                  a "personal copy".

                  On the other side: It would be interesting to figure out, why this
                  happens not with other mailinglists (I am subscribed to a few).

                  Any idea?

                  -mcc