Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi,

      for the region aware replace-string macro I want to access
      the history ("previous replace-string entries") from within that
      macro.

      I have grepped through the me-doc with the keyword "history" which
      gaves me a lot of mostly unreadable html code.

      I have used ^h-a with the keywords "history" and replace and found
      nothing, which seems to be appropiate -- at least for me, who tries
      to search for something which has to be identified by this search.

      So I want to ask in this mailing list, where I can search further --
      or -- what keywords will point me to a match, which will explain,
      what I am searching.

      Kind regards,
      Meino
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        Forget grepping the html documentation. Let Windows do it for you:
        Install the me.hlp file (Windows help file), open it, and use the
        Search>Find feature (which indexes every word in the file).

        If you insist on operating under Unix, I would suggest one of the
        html2txt commands that will strip out all the html. Then at least
        grepping would become easier.

        Searching for "history" brought up all kinds of interesting stuff,
        including HistoryGroupVariables(4) which may be what you want.

        Good luck

        -Th

        Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
        > for the region aware replace-string macro I want to access
        > the history ("previous replace-string entries") from within that
        > macro.
        >
        > I have grepped through the me-doc with the keyword "history" which
        > gaves me a lot of mostly unreadable html code.
        >
        > I have used ^h-a with the keywords "history" and replace and found
        > nothing, which seems to be appropiate -- at least for me, who tries
        > to search for something which has to be identified by this search.
        >
        > So I want to ask in this mailing list, where I can search further --
        > or -- what keywords will point me to a match, which will explain,
        > what I am searching.
        >

        > Kind regards,
        > Meino
      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
          Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
          Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700

          Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
          HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
          also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
          to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
          longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
          matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
          express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
          "real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
          Windows.

          Grrrmpfff...

          It seems that -- despite the the fact that in design and look&feel Microemacs
          is rooted in the Unix world -- if one needs help one better switch to
          Windows...

          Ah..by the way ... me.ehf is installed...

          Have a nicer weekend,

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
            Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
            > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
            > Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
            > Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
            >
            > Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
            > HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
            > also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
            > to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
            > longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
            > matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
            > express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
            > "real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
            > Windows.

            Help -> GeneralHelp

            search "HistoryGroupVariables"

            There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?

            Jon.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
              Jon Green wrote:
              > Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
              >
              >>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
              >>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
              >>Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
              >>
              >>Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
              >>HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
              >>also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
              >>to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
              >>longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
              >>matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
              >>express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
              >>"real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
              >>Windows.
              >>

              > Help -> GeneralHelp
              >
              > search "HistoryGroupVariables"
              >
              > There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?
              >
              > Jon.

              Help -> GeneralHelp

              search "history"

              Brings up loads more references (as would be expected as the search is wider) and I'm still
              on UNIX ?

              Jon.
            • Meino Christian Cramer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                From: Jon Green <jon@...>
                Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:45:35 +0100

                Ok :)

                MicroEmacs : Newbie Meino

                1 : 0

                :))

                Thanks for the Hint, Jon!

                Meino

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                  HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
                  command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
                  Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
                  the Help commands.

                  Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
                  they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
                  double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
                  for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
                  exactly the same.

                  Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

                  -Th

                  Jon Green wrote:
                  > Jon Green wrote:
                  >
                  >>Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                  >>

                  >>>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                  >>>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Accessing history entries of replace-string from within a macro
                  >>>Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:04:51 -0700
                  >>>
                  >>>Neither ^h-a HistoryGroupVariables nor describe-variables
                  >>>HistoryGroupVariables brings up anything. With list-commands there is
                  >>>also nothing like that. For a newbie like me it is a sub-optimal way
                  >>>to first convert the documentation, which comes with ME to another no
                  >>>longer linked format, then use a simple grep to blindly find all words
                  >>>matching a ... guess: for what I am searcing and what way ME may
                  >>>express this ? ... and then search again taht lines for what may the
                  >>>"real stuff". And finally read then, it may be better to switch to
                  >>>Windows.
                  >>>

                  >>Help -> GeneralHelp
                  >>
                  >>search "HistoryGroupVariables"
                  >>
                  >>There are 4 references which link to a page "HistoryGroupVariables(4)" and I'm on UNIX ?
                  >>
                  >>Jon.
                  >>

                  > Help -> GeneralHelp
                  >
                  > search "history"
                  >
                  > Brings up loads more references (as would be expected as the search is wider) and I'm still
                  > on UNIX ?
                  >
                  > Jon.
                • Meino Christian Cramer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                    From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                    Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

                    > HistoryGroupVariables is the name of a help page, not a variable or
                    > command. So, of course, Apropos is not going to give you anything.
                    > Apropos is not part of the help system. As Jon says, you have to use
                    > the Help commands.
                    >
                    > Jon's results are the same as what I get using the Windows help file (as
                    > they should be!). I'm talking about me.hlp (NOT me.ehf) which you
                    > double click on, outside of ME. I find it a little easier to use that,
                    > for whatever reason. But it looks like the results from within ME are
                    > exactly the same.
                    >
                    > Meino: Please stop CCing me on these mails. I'm getting them all twice.

                    I am not CC'ing you...it is my EMailer.
                    The header of the mail I am getting from the list looks like this:

                    From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                    To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:00:29 -0700

                    Pressing 'a' for 'answer' (which is the normal way I respong to mail
                    results in a mail with this header:

                    To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com, thundt@...
                    From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
                    Fcc: +sent_mail

                    which in turn sends the mail to you personally and to the list, since
                    my mailer does not know. that you are reading the list and your
                    personal mails.

                    I will remove the extra entry manually so that you will no longer get
                    a "personal copy".

                    On the other side: It would be interesting to figure out, why this
                    happens not with other mailinglists (I am subscribed to a few).

                    Any idea?

                    -mcc