Re: [jasspa] ME problems resizing with multi-monitor

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2005
      Thomas Hundt wrote:
      > I have a three monitor setup, and ME freaks out when I drag it to one of
      > the outlying ones and attempt to resize it. "Freaks out" being defined
      > as: On the #2 monitor (to the left of the primary) it will move itself
      > back onto the primary monitor, and very narrow. On the #3 monitor, it
      > will similarly move itself back to the primary one (#1), but a ghost
      > image will appear in the original spot while I'm resizing it. When I
      > let go of the mouse button, it stays on the primary monitor.
      >
      > Here is a diagram:
      > +-----+-----+-----+
      > | 2 | 1 | 3 |
      > +-----+-----+-----+
      >
      > The center being the "primary" monitor; Windows calls this the "number
      > one" in the display properties settings dialog where you can tell it how
      > the physical displays are arranged. (BTW I'm running Win2k here.)
      >
      > Each one is 1280x1024. Thus, the #2 monitor is at offset (-1280,0) and
      > the #3 is at (1280,0).
      >
      > This sort of thing happened before with only two, also. ME must be
      > detecting the monitor size (as opposed to the overall desktop size) and
      > using that to set the limits of what it is willing to do, perhaps with
      > some kind of modulo arithmetic. Note that all other Windows apps run
      > just fine.
      >
      > It does NOT happen when I use a card (e.g., Matrox) that has dual-head
      > circuitry built in. But in this case, both monitors look like one
      > 2560x1024 display to Windows. (Meaning, it does wonderful things like
      > center dialog boxes smack in the middle -- half on one screen, half on
      > the other.) I ran for some years with this configuration and I'm tired
      > of it. So, I got myself two more video cards for a total of three.
      >
      > -Th

      Yes we are aware of this problem. This is caused by the smart frame re-size. When you drag
      across multiple displays (especially if they are different sizes) then it goes horribly
      wrong. This is on the list of things to fix, just not managed to build up enough enthusiasm to:-

      a) Move off Solaris back to a conventional Windows box (I use SunPCI when I need MS Windows
      - Windows in an X-Window).
      b) Dust off PC, make sure it still works - find any bits that are missing.
      c) Open the PC and install a 2nd graphics card.
      d) Dig up another monitor and cable and physically move it to the required location.
      e) Run up MS-DEV and find out whats going wrong.

      These are pretty lame excuses (but (a) is compelling) so I guess I should make a bit more of
      an effort now that dual head configurations are a little more common. Will see what can be done.