[jasspa] Re: Setup Path Problems

  • fourje
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 1999
      Steve,
      I have MEPATH set in my autoexec.bat, and MENAME is set in default.emf. However,
      whenever I open user setup, the setup path is always reset to e:\me and the file
      dedwards.erf in e:\me is the one that gets updated every time.
      A puzzler!!
      Thanks
      Dave E.
      dedwards@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 1999
        Dave,

        Assuming your MEPATH is set to f:\username;e:\me me32 will search for the
        first occurrence of $MENAME.erf (the setup registry file). If that file does
        not exist in f:\username then it will look in e:\me, if it does exist there
        then Setup Path will be set to this (in fact it will be set to e:\me if
        $MENAME.erf is not found at all).

        To fix this simply move the $MENAME.* files from e:\me to f:\username, now
        me32 should find the correct one in the correct place and set Setup Path to
        f:\username.

        If this does not fix the problem then can you please send me your MEPATH
        setting and the contents of default.emf so that I can try and reproduce the
        problem. Can you also send me your variable settings (use the main menu's Help
        -> List Variable) and probably best just filling my mail box rather than the
        whole egroup.

        Steve

        > Subject: [jasspa] Re: Setup Path Problems
        > From: fourje <fourje@...>
        > Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:04:57 +0000
        > To: jasspa@egroups.com
        >
        > Steve,
        > I have MEPATH set in my autoexec.bat, and MENAME is set in default.emf. However,
        > whenever I open user setup, the setup path is always reset to e:\me and the file
        > dedwards.erf in e:\me is the one that gets updated every time.
        > A puzzler!!
        > Thanks
        > Dave E.
        > dedwards@...
        >
        > Steven Phillips wrote:
        >
        > > Dave,
        > >
        > > The Setup Path usage is obscure and does not do what first impressions would
        > > suggest. The Setup Path does two things:
        > >
        > > 1) On opening the User Setup dialog it shows you where it found the
        > > current profile. For new users this will probably be the main macro
        > > directory (e.g. e:\me).
        > >
        > > 2) Can be used to set the output directory, i.e. where the user setup
        > > files will be written when you use the Save button (e.g. f:\username).
        > >
        > > One thing that Setup Path does not do is change your environment, so when you
        > > exit me32 and restart it will not know about f:\username and therefore it will
        > > not find you setup files.
        > >
        > > The simplest way to setup you environment is to set two environment variables,
        > > as follows:
        > >
        > > set MENAME=username
        > > set MEPATH=f:\username;e:\me
        > >
        > > These two environment variables tell me32 who you are, where your setup files
        > > are and where the system setup files are. You should now find that me32 finds
        > > your username.erf in f:\username so Set Path should be automatically set to
        > > f:\username.
        > >
        > > Hope that solves the problems,
        > >
        > > Steve
        > > <snip>

        > Meet your Match! CLICK HERE to go to One & Only Internet Personals
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1705

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=jasspa&m=1

      • Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 1999
          By the way Steven has given me an other useful tip some months ago, which seems to be for me the best.

          Create something like the following batch-files:

          REM me32a.bat
          set MENAME=user1
          set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/user;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
          c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe -c %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

          -----
          REM me32b.bat
          set MENAME=user2
          set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/user;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
          c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe -c %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

          ---
          and so on. Best is for each project on which you are working a separate file.

          Remove the Me32.ini from the Windows-directory, remove the Me-statements from the autoexec.bat.

          Just run the Me-batch-files adjust user setup to your Mename. If you want to share the same macros in both profiles write at the beginning of user2.emf the command
          execute-file "user1.emf"
          you will have in each profile the same macros but a different session. Be aware that you use the same user-directory !

          I never get different profiles with the Me32.ini or the autoexec.bat working.
          May be using a special command line would be useful for avoiding use of bat-files
          like me32.exe -usera -c ...

          for invoking ME32 without history try a separare profile:

          REM me32.bat
          set MENAME=userx
          set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/user;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
          c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
          REM -c is removed >> no history for userx

          ---

          for invoking ME to work with the DJGPP-tools I use the following:

          REM medjgpp.bat
          set MENAME=djgpp
          set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/dgroth;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
          set INFOPATH=C:/djgpp/info
          REM this sets the infopath from c:/info to the djgpp-directory
          c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe -c %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

          move this file into your path and you can load each file always with me32 myfile.txt

          Regards,
          Detlef