Re: [jasspa] feature request: dropdown menu flag chars

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2005
      Okay, will do.

      One question, ME already uses a '>' for some sub-menus, it supports 2 types of
      sub-menu, auto open (shown as '..', soon to be '>') and manually opened (shown
      as '>'), the manually opened form is not commonly used and requires the user to
      select the item before it opens. Is there a standard on how this type should
      be displayed? If not, as it opens another dialog (i.e. its a '...') and its a
      sub-menu as well (i.e. a '>'), how about a cross, i.e. '.>'?

      Steve

      > Subject: [jasspa] feature request: dropdown menu flag chars
      > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      > Date: Saturday, June 25, 2005, 7:34:25 PM
      > There are a couple of inconsistencies in the way ME 20050505 displays
      > dropdown (OSD) menus vs the way typical GUI software does. This affects
      > ease of use by confusing the user. I humbly request this be fixed.

      > ME uses ".." next to a menu item to indicate a submenu will be popped
      > out to the side when you cursor to it. Windows (and other GUIs) use a
      ">>" (actually, triangle pointed right) character for this, which usually

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2005
        Cool.

        I can't see any instance of manually opened submenu in the current
        version. Can you give me an example of one? I don't think Windows
        supports it, so I can't tell you. Maybe use a plus sign? (I would
        avoid two-char flags.) (Note that the "..." goes right after the menu
        item name, not flush right as the ">" [or 0x10 char] flag does.)

        -Th