[jasspa] Setup Path Problems

  • fourje
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
      I've just got the latest binaries of Jasspa - I am VERY pleased with
      it. On my Win95 system it will quickly replace my other editors.One
      problem though (as yet) - when I go into user setup and set the "Setup
      Path" to a user directory I created (f:\username) and then save the
      profile (with username as the default user). When I go back into user
      setup, the "Setup Path" has reverted back to e:\me (where I installed
      Jasspa). If I make any changes to the setup and sae without changing
      the path again, the process creates an empty username.emf file in e:\me.

      Just a minor frustration - what am I doing wrong??
      Thanks in advance - and apologies if this has already been asked - I've
      just joined the list and I can't seem to find any archives.

      Dave E
      dedwards@...
    • fourje
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 1999
        Steve,
        I have MEPATH set in my autoexec.bat, and MENAME is set in default.emf. However,
        whenever I open user setup, the setup path is always reset to e:\me and the file
        dedwards.erf in e:\me is the one that gets updated every time.
        A puzzler!!
        Thanks
        Dave E.
        dedwards@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 1999
          Dave,

          Assuming your MEPATH is set to f:\username;e:\me me32 will search for the
          first occurrence of $MENAME.erf (the setup registry file). If that file does
          not exist in f:\username then it will look in e:\me, if it does exist there
          then Setup Path will be set to this (in fact it will be set to e:\me if
          $MENAME.erf is not found at all).

          To fix this simply move the $MENAME.* files from e:\me to f:\username, now
          me32 should find the correct one in the correct place and set Setup Path to
          f:\username.

          If this does not fix the problem then can you please send me your MEPATH
          setting and the contents of default.emf so that I can try and reproduce the
          problem. Can you also send me your variable settings (use the main menu's Help
          -> List Variable) and probably best just filling my mail box rather than the
          whole egroup.

          Steve

          > Subject: [jasspa] Re: Setup Path Problems
          > From: fourje <fourje@...>
          > Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:04:57 +0000
          > To: jasspa@egroups.com
          >
          > Steve,
          > I have MEPATH set in my autoexec.bat, and MENAME is set in default.emf. However,
          > whenever I open user setup, the setup path is always reset to e:\me and the file
          > dedwards.erf in e:\me is the one that gets updated every time.
          > A puzzler!!
          > Thanks
          > Dave E.
          > dedwards@...
          >
          > Steven Phillips wrote:
          >
          > > Dave,
          > >
          > > The Setup Path usage is obscure and does not do what first impressions would
          > > suggest. The Setup Path does two things:
          > >
          > > 1) On opening the User Setup dialog it shows you where it found the
          > > current profile. For new users this will probably be the main macro
          > > directory (e.g. e:\me).
          > >
          > > 2) Can be used to set the output directory, i.e. where the user setup
          > > files will be written when you use the Save button (e.g. f:\username).
          > >
          > > One thing that Setup Path does not do is change your environment, so when you
          > > exit me32 and restart it will not know about f:\username and therefore it will
          > > not find you setup files.
          > >
          > > The simplest way to setup you environment is to set two environment variables,
          > > as follows:
          > >
          > > set MENAME=username
          > > set MEPATH=f:\username;e:\me
          > >
          > > These two environment variables tell me32 who you are, where your setup files
          > > are and where the system setup files are. You should now find that me32 finds
          > > your username.erf in f:\username so Set Path should be automatically set to
          > > f:\username.
          > >
          > > Hope that solves the problems,
          > >
          > > Steve
          > > <snip>

          > Meet your Match! CLICK HERE to go to One & Only Internet Personals
          > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1705

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=jasspa&m=1

        • Detlef Groth
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 13, 1999
            By the way Steven has given me an other useful tip some months ago, which seems to be for me the best.

            Create something like the following batch-files:

            REM me32a.bat
            set MENAME=user1
            set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/user;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
            c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe -c %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

            -----
            REM me32b.bat
            set MENAME=user2
            set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/user;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
            c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe -c %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

            ---
            and so on. Best is for each project on which you are working a separate file.

            Remove the Me32.ini from the Windows-directory, remove the Me-statements from the autoexec.bat.

            Just run the Me-batch-files adjust user setup to your Mename. If you want to share the same macros in both profiles write at the beginning of user2.emf the command
            execute-file "user1.emf"
            you will have in each profile the same macros but a different session. Be aware that you use the same user-directory !

            I never get different profiles with the Me32.ini or the autoexec.bat working.
            May be using a special command line would be useful for avoiding use of bat-files
            like me32.exe -usera -c ...

            for invoking ME32 without history try a separare profile:

            REM me32.bat
            set MENAME=userx
            set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/user;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
            c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
            REM -c is removed >> no history for userx

            ---

            for invoking ME to work with the DJGPP-tools I use the following:

            REM medjgpp.bat
            set MENAME=djgpp
            set MEPATH=C:/jemacs99/dgroth;C:/jemacs99/macros;C:/Me/Mehelp
            set INFOPATH=C:/djgpp/info
            REM this sets the infopath from c:/info to the djgpp-directory
            c:\windows\command\start /max C:\jemacs99\me32.exe -c %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

            move this file into your path and you can load each file always with me32 myfile.txt

            Regards,
            Detlef