feature request: dropdown menu flag chars

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2005
      There are a couple of inconsistencies in the way ME 20050505 displays
      dropdown (OSD) menus vs the way typical GUI software does. This affects
      ease of use by confusing the user. I humbly request this be fixed.

      ME uses ".." next to a menu item to indicate a submenu will be popped
      out to the side when you cursor to it. Windows (and other GUIs) use a
      ">" (actually, triangle pointed right) character for this, which usually
      points to the submenu (unless said submenu gets popped out to the left,
      for space reasons). (Using a single char also saves space.)

      ME uses nothing at all next to a menu item to indicate a dialog box will
      be popped up when you select it. Windows (and other GUIs) use "..." to
      indicate this. It would be really nice if ME would follow the
      convention of all other software in this regard. (This is useful
      because, for example, with SOME programs "File>Print" immediately prints
      the current item, and some OTHER programs will pop up a cancellable
      dialog box for this, meaning you have a chance to abort the operation.
      To the user, this indicates "it's safe to experiment and try this one
      and see what this does" as opposed to "better have a ream of paper ready
      in case this doesn't do what you want".)

      Thanks for your consideration,

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2005
        Okay, will do.

        One question, ME already uses a '>' for some sub-menus, it supports 2 types of
        sub-menu, auto open (shown as '..', soon to be '>') and manually opened (shown
        as '>'), the manually opened form is not commonly used and requires the user to
        select the item before it opens. Is there a standard on how this type should
        be displayed? If not, as it opens another dialog (i.e. its a '...') and its a
        sub-menu as well (i.e. a '>'), how about a cross, i.e. '.>'?

        Steve

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 26, 2005
          Cool.

          I can't see any instance of manually opened submenu in the current
          version. Can you give me an example of one? I don't think Windows
          supports it, so I can't tell you. Maybe use a plus sign? (I would
          avoid two-char flags.) (Note that the "..." goes right after the menu
          item name, not flush right as the ">" [or 0x10 char] flag does.)

          -Th