[jasspa] Re: Me-Source: Cygwin.gmk and URL-ME andConsole-ME for Win9x

  • Jonathan Naughton-Green
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
      Detlef Groth wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > >> the Makefile-file for the Cygwin-environment under Win9x is not the
      > >right one, it is a Linux-Cygwin-file mixture.
      >
      > Has anybody the correct cygwin.gmk ?
      >
      > >> Has anybody build the URL-Version and the Console version for ME99.
      > >My MSVC6.0 on NT was starting with the generation of the object-files
      > >but not founding the the RC-Command (no rc.exe in the bin there). What
      > >is missing in this installation of the MSVC6.0 ?
      > >>
      > >I've built all the versions and all went well. I run Windows NT 4.0
      > >witb Visual C++ 6.0. Check your environment vars.
      > >Pedro Gomes
      >
      > I moved the rc.exe with its dll in the path and it was working.
      > I could build all versions. However the URL-version seems to have some problems with links like <a href= " index.html " ... containing spaces.

      This does not surprise me - I do not think that this conforms to the standard
      HTML conventions does it ?? The quotes contain the reference and the file name
      probably does not have any spaces in it.

      Note that I am not advocating that the macro processing conforms to any standards
      either, but it should process basic tag references !! Bear in mind that
      it is not supposed to be a replacement for Netscape on any but the simplest
      of levels.

      > I was further surprized that the mec32.exe (Console) was loading also with menus. I could not observe a different behavior to the me32.exe. Should I did something wrong ?
      >
      > best regards,
      > Detlef

      > In the market for computer hardware or software? Compare prices on
      > more that 100,000 products at CNET.com. Get all the latest news,
      > reviews and prices! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1611

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=jasspa&m=1

      Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

      SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
      The Communication Centre
      South Street
      Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
      MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
      TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
      England Email (home): jon@...
    • Detlef Groth
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 1999
        Use of Cygwin for compiling ME requires reading Info-files.

        I was partially sucessful colorizing links and hilighting key words.

        In the me.emf I added the file-hook for info-files:

        -2 add-file-hook "File: " fhook-info ; Info-files

        When the first two-lines is the Expression: `File: " Me loades fhook-info.

        hkinfo.emf looks:

        !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
        !if ¬ &exist .hilight.info
        set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
        !endif
        0 hilight .hilight.info 0 $global-scheme
        hilight .hilight.info 2 "^File: " .scheme.link
        hilight .hilight.info 2 "^*" .scheme.header
        hilight .hilight.info 2 "^=" .scheme.header
        hilight .hilight.info 0x22 "^* " .scheme.link
        hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
        hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "^* " "* " "::" "::" "" .scheme.link
        !endif

        define-macro fhook-info
        !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
        set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
        !endif
        1 buffer-mode "time"
        1 buffer-mode "indent"
        buffer-abbrev-file "info"
        ; execute user extensions if enabled
        !if &exist my-fhook-info
        my-fhook-info

        ml-write "[info file hook loaded]"

        ; load in user extensions if found
        !force execute-file "myinfo"

        Sometimes it is working, sometimes not. It is depending on the different variables for the buffer-hilighting which ME provides to the individuell buffers.

        I suppose the empty macro in the info.emf-file

        0 define-macro fhook-info
        !emacro
        makes the problem..

        Also modifying info.emf to:

        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
        !if &seq .osd.info-help "ERROR"
        set-variable .osd.info-help &pinc .osd.next 1
        !endif
        !if &seq .hilight.info "ERROR"
        set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
        !endif
        0 hilight .hilight.info 0 $global-scheme
        hilight .hilight.info 1 "^File: " .scheme.link
        hilight .hilight.info 2 "^*" .scheme.header
        hilight .hilight.info 2 "^=" .scheme.header
        hilight .hilight.info 0x22 "^* " .scheme.link
        hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
        hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "^* " "* " "::" "::" "" .scheme.link

        0 define-macro fhook-info
        !if ¬ @#
        etfinsrt "info"
        !endif
        set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
        ; execute user extensions if enabled
        !if &exist my-fhook-info
        my-fhook-info

        does not work.

        Any solution to this ?

        Best regards,

        Detlef
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 1999
          Detlef,

          You are right - this needs to be done.

          The trick here is that we do not need to use a hook file because
          the info macros (in info.emf) generate their own buffers
          internally. Hence we force the hilighting to be applied when we
          create the buffer for the info. Therefore the hilighting is
          defined and used within this file only.

          I picked up on what you were trying to hilight, the 'bold'
          encoding is probably best done with the look-back enabled. I've
          kept this short (10 lines), which seems to be more than reasonable
          - arguably it is too generous !!

          I was not quite sure what the "^=" is, I have not come across any
          of these - so no support for that in here :-(

          The changes that I have made to the "info.emf" are below - this
          seems to work OK.

          NOTE: The changes are for the *LATEST* Novemeber '99 release only,
          because they use the new hilighting scheme variables. If you
          are using a previous release then the hilighting will have
          to be changed accordingly.

          Regards
          Jon

          cd c:/text/
          diff --context --minimal --ignore-space-change --report-identical-files --recursive "C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf.orig" "C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf"

          *** C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf.orig Tue Aug 24 08:24:40 1999
          --- C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf Sat Dec 11 18:32:41 1999
          ***************
          *** 3,9 ****
          ; Author : $Author$
          ; Created By : Steven Phillips
          ; Created : Fri Apr 23 13:14:46 1999
          ! ; Last Modified : <991211.1846>
          ;
          ; Description
          ;
          --- 3,9 ----
          ; Author : $Author$
          ; Created By : Steven Phillips
          ; Created : Fri Apr 23 13:14:46 1999
          ! ; Last Modified : <991211.1832>
          ;
          ; Description
          ;
          ***************
          *** 17,22 ****
          --- 17,45 ----
          set-variable .osd.info-help &pinc .osd.next 1
          !endif

          + ; Quick check to make sure that hilighting is required.
          + !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
          + !if ¬ &exist .hilight.info
          + set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
          + !endif
          +
          + ; Make the hilighting look back (10 lines) and case insensitive
          + 0 hilight .hilight.info 3 10 $global-scheme
          +
          + ; First line of the file is the menu line always commences
          + ; with File:, hilight the whole line here.
          + hilight .hilight.info 2 "^File:" .scheme.link
          + ; Menus, appear at the start of the line and extend to
          + ; a colon or double colon character.
          + hilight .hilight.info 0 "^*\\{[^:]*\\}:" .scheme.link
          + ; Notes appear embedded in text and may span multiple
          + ; lines, again these are branches.
          + hilight .hilight.info 4 "*note" ":" "" .scheme.link
          + ; Hilighted items are in a open/close quote pairs, these
          + ; can span multiple lines so use a branch.
          + hilight .hilight.info 0x4 "`" "'" "" .scheme.bold
          + !endif
          +
          0 define-macro fhook-info
          !emacro

          ***************
          *** 142,147 ****
          --- 165,174 ----
          !endif
          -1 buffer-mode "edit"
          1 buffer-mode "view"
          + ; Force hilighting on the buffer
          + !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
          + set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
          + !endif
          beginning-of-buffer
          buffer-bind-key info-jump-link "return"
          1 buffer-bind-key info-jump-link "n"
          [EXIT]

          Detlef Groth wrote:

> [...]
          > hilight .hilight.info 0x22 "^* " .scheme.link
          > hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
          > hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "^* " "* " "::" "::" "" .scheme.link
          >
          > 0 define-macro fhook-info
          > !if ¬ @#
          > etfinsrt "info"
          > !endif
          > set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
          > ; execute user extensions if enabled
          > !if &exist my-fhook-info
          > my-fhook-info
          > !endif
          > !emacro
          >
          > does not work.
          >
          > Any solution to this ?
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Detlef

          > Ask your questions here http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/2030
          > Everyone has unanswered questions right? So do you! Need
          > free business advice, help with taxes, info on London? Our

        • Detlef Groth
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 1999
            Jon,

            My problem was in the beginning that the info-files does not start with the `File:' but with the `This is info file'... statement. I was a victim of this narrowing ME-features which are difficult to understand but great to use.

            I was adding some filehooks (see below) to allow also syntax-hilighting for info-files currently not in info-mode. The hilighting is now really great and should be work sufficently well. It is a pleasure to read info-files. You can even use bookmarks...

            There is only one problem still with not working links if they contain regular expressions like:
            `* What is Bash?:: A short description of Bash.'
            To find this info I have to set-a bookmark, jump to any link then jump-to-the bookmark just unnarrowing the buffer and searching for the regexpression string. Or alternativly change the node and the link names to something nonregexpressiones like `C++' to `Cpp'. May be this can be also used in a more convinient way.

            It follows your and my changes in my info.emf file.

            ;To hilight the .info and also the dir file
            add-file-hook ".info dir " fhook-info ; Info-files
            ;To hilight all info files without the extension .info
            ;but starting with the text "This is info file..
            -2 add-file-hook "This is Info file" fhook-info

            !if &seq .hilight.info "ERROR"
            set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
            !endif
            0 hilight .hilight.info 0 $global-scheme
            ; just for headers substrikes
            hilight .hilight.info 2 "^*\\*\\*" .scheme.header
            hilight .hilight.info 2 "^===" .scheme.header
            hilight .hilight.info 2 "^---" .scheme.header
            ; Menus, appear at the start of the line and extend to
            ; a colon or double colon character.
            hilight .hilight.info 0 "^*\\{[^:]*\\}:" .scheme.link
            ; I would prefere not to label the whoole line
            hilight .hilight.info 1 "^File:" .scheme.link
            hilight .hilight.info 1 "Node:" .scheme.link
            hilight .hilight.info 1 "Next:" .scheme.link
            hilight .hilight.info 1 "Prev:" .scheme.link
            hilight .hilight.info 1 "Up:" .scheme.link
            ; your note-feature was not working at my machine so I use...
            hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "*Note" "*Note" ":" ":" "" .scheme.link
            ; Formatting
            hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
            hilight .hilight.info 1 "* Menu:" .scheme.header

            0 define-macro fhook-info
            set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
            ; execute user extensions if enabled
            !if &exist my-fhook-info
            my-fhook-info

            Put together the best...and stay informed...

            best regards,
            Detlef

            <snip>
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 1999
              Detlef,

              Sorry, I understand what you are doing now - I did
              something else !!

              If you also add the following:-

              ; Hide the special characters.
              hilight .hilight.info 64 "\x7f" " --> " .scheme.link
              hilight .hilight.info 64 "\x1f" "--- Page Break ---" .scheme.bold

              Then you can make the special characters a little
              more palatable. Change the text replacement to suite
              your requirements.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 1999
                > There is only one problem still with not working links if they contain regular
                > expressions like: `* What is Bash?:: A short description of Bash.' To find
                > this info I have to set-a bookmark, jump to any link then jump-to-the bookmark
                > just unnarrowing the buffer and searching for the regexpression string. Or
                > alternativly change the node and the link names to something
                > nonregexpressiones like `C++' to `Cpp'. May be this can be also used in a more
                > convinient way.

                The following diff log should fix the above problem, I say should because I've
                not tested this (don't know where "What is Bash?" is). The line numbers may be
                different depending on the version of your info.emf.

                *** /home/stevenp/me/macros/info.emf.~0~ Sun Dec 12 19:01:08 1999
                --- /home/stevenp/me/macros/info.emf Tue Dec 14 07:18:44 1999
                ***************
                *** 480,486 ****
                !if &seq #l0 ""
                set-variable #l0 "Top"
                !endif
                ! var-str-sub #l0 "\\" "\\\\"
                !force search-forward &spr "^File: .* Node:[ \t]+%s[,\n]" #l0
                !if ¬ $status
                !if &seq #l0 "Top"
                --- 480,486 ----
                !if &seq #l0 ""