[jasspa] Re: Me-Source: Cygwin.gmk and URL-ME andConsole-ME for Win9x

  • Jonathan Naughton-Green
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
      Detlef Groth wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > >> the Makefile-file for the Cygwin-environment under Win9x is not the
      > >right one, it is a Linux-Cygwin-file mixture.
      >
      > Has anybody the correct cygwin.gmk ?

      Nope - you will be making history here if you get it working !!
      I think this was Steves 1st attempt at a makefile, but no time
      to debug it:-(

      > >> Has anybody build the URL-Version and the Console version for ME99.
      > >My MSVC6.0 on NT was starting with the generation of the object-files
      > >but not founding the the RC-Command (no rc.exe in the bin there). What
      > >is missing in this installation of the MSVC6.0 ?
      > >>
      > >I've built all the versions and all went well. I run Windows NT 4.0
      > >witb Visual C++ 6.0. Check your environment vars.
      > >Pedro Gomes
      >
      > I moved the rc.exe with its dll in the path and it was working.
      > I could build all versions. However the URL-version seems to have some problems with links like <a href= " index.html " ... containing spaces.
      >
      > I was further surprized that the mec32.exe (Console) was loading also with menus. I could not observe a different behavior to the me32.exe. Should I did something wrong ?

      Run with the -n option, you will then get a console version. This is in keeping
      with the X-Windows version which runs using either an X-Window or Termcap.
      The mec32.exe executes as both a regular window and a Console window.
      You may rename the executable to me32.exe and use either way

      > best regards,
      > Detlef

      > In the market for computer hardware or software? Compare prices on
      > more that 100,000 products at CNET.com. Get all the latest news,
      > reviews and prices! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1611

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=jasspa&m=1

      Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

      SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
      The Communication Centre
      South Street
      Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
      MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
      TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
      England Email (home): jon@...
    • Jonathan Naughton-Green
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
        Detlef Groth wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > >> the Makefile-file for the Cygwin-environment under Win9x is not the
        > >right one, it is a Linux-Cygwin-file mixture.
        >
        > Has anybody the correct cygwin.gmk ?
        >
        > >> Has anybody build the URL-Version and the Console version for ME99.
        > >My MSVC6.0 on NT was starting with the generation of the object-files
        > >but not founding the the RC-Command (no rc.exe in the bin there). What
        > >is missing in this installation of the MSVC6.0 ?
        > >>
        > >I've built all the versions and all went well. I run Windows NT 4.0
        > >witb Visual C++ 6.0. Check your environment vars.
        > >Pedro Gomes
        >
        > I moved the rc.exe with its dll in the path and it was working.
        > I could build all versions. However the URL-version seems to have some problems with links like <a href= " index.html " ... containing spaces.

        This does not surprise me - I do not think that this conforms to the standard
        HTML conventions does it ?? The quotes contain the reference and the file name
        probably does not have any spaces in it.

        Note that I am not advocating that the macro processing conforms to any standards
        either, but it should process basic tag references !! Bear in mind that
        it is not supposed to be a replacement for Netscape on any but the simplest
        of levels.

        > I was further surprized that the mec32.exe (Console) was loading also with menus. I could not observe a different behavior to the me32.exe. Should I did something wrong ?
        >
        > best regards,
        > Detlef

        > In the market for computer hardware or software? Compare prices on
        > more that 100,000 products at CNET.com. Get all the latest news,
        > reviews and prices! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1611

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=jasspa&m=1

        Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

        SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
        The Communication Centre
        South Street
        Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
        MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
        TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
        England Email (home): jon@...
      • Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 1999
          Use of Cygwin for compiling ME requires reading Info-files.

          I was partially sucessful colorizing links and hilighting key words.

          In the me.emf I added the file-hook for info-files:

          -2 add-file-hook "File: " fhook-info ; Info-files

          When the first two-lines is the Expression: `File: " Me loades fhook-info.

          hkinfo.emf looks:

          !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
          !if ¬ &exist .hilight.info
          set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
          !endif
          0 hilight .hilight.info 0 $global-scheme
          hilight .hilight.info 2 "^File: " .scheme.link
          hilight .hilight.info 2 "^*" .scheme.header
          hilight .hilight.info 2 "^=" .scheme.header
          hilight .hilight.info 0x22 "^* " .scheme.link
          hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
          hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "^* " "* " "::" "::" "" .scheme.link
          !endif

          define-macro fhook-info
          !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
          set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
          !endif
          1 buffer-mode "time"
          1 buffer-mode "indent"
          buffer-abbrev-file "info"
          ; execute user extensions if enabled
          !if &exist my-fhook-info
          my-fhook-info

          ml-write "[info file hook loaded]"

          ; load in user extensions if found
          !force execute-file "myinfo"

          Sometimes it is working, sometimes not. It is depending on the different variables for the buffer-hilighting which ME provides to the individuell buffers.

          I suppose the empty macro in the info.emf-file

          0 define-macro fhook-info
          !emacro
          makes the problem..

          Also modifying info.emf to:

          ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
          !if &seq .osd.info-help "ERROR"
          set-variable .osd.info-help &pinc .osd.next 1
          !endif
          !if &seq .hilight.info "ERROR"
          set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
          !endif
          0 hilight .hilight.info 0 $global-scheme
          hilight .hilight.info 1 "^File: " .scheme.link
          hilight .hilight.info 2 "^*" .scheme.header
          hilight .hilight.info 2 "^=" .scheme.header
          hilight .hilight.info 0x22 "^* " .scheme.link
          hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
          hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "^* " "* " "::" "::" "" .scheme.link

          0 define-macro fhook-info
          !if ¬ @#
          etfinsrt "info"
          !endif
          set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
          ; execute user extensions if enabled
          !if &exist my-fhook-info
          my-fhook-info

          does not work.

          Any solution to this ?

          Best regards,

          Detlef
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 1999
            Detlef,

            You are right - this needs to be done.

            The trick here is that we do not need to use a hook file because
            the info macros (in info.emf) generate their own buffers
            internally. Hence we force the hilighting to be applied when we
            create the buffer for the info. Therefore the hilighting is
            defined and used within this file only.

            I picked up on what you were trying to hilight, the 'bold'
            encoding is probably best done with the look-back enabled. I've
            kept this short (10 lines), which seems to be more than reasonable
            - arguably it is too generous !!

            I was not quite sure what the "^=" is, I have not come across any
            of these - so no support for that in here :-(

            The changes that I have made to the "info.emf" are below - this
            seems to work OK.

            NOTE: The changes are for the *LATEST* Novemeber '99 release only,
            because they use the new hilighting scheme variables. If you
            are using a previous release then the hilighting will have
            to be changed accordingly.

            Regards
            Jon

            cd c:/text/
            diff --context --minimal --ignore-space-change --report-identical-files --recursive "C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf.orig" "C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf"

            *** C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf.orig Tue Aug 24 08:24:40 1999
            --- C:/Program Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/macros/info.emf Sat Dec 11 18:32:41 1999
            ***************
            *** 3,9 ****
            ; Author : $Author$
            ; Created By : Steven Phillips
            ; Created : Fri Apr 23 13:14:46 1999
            ! ; Last Modified : <991211.1846>
            ;
            ; Description
            ;
            --- 3,9 ----
            ; Author : $Author$
            ; Created By : Steven Phillips
            ; Created : Fri Apr 23 13:14:46 1999
            ! ; Last Modified : <991211.1832>
            ;
            ; Description
            ;
            ***************
            *** 17,22 ****
            --- 17,45 ----
            set-variable .osd.info-help &pinc .osd.next 1
            !endif

            + ; Quick check to make sure that hilighting is required.
            + !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
            + !if ¬ &exist .hilight.info
            + set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
            + !endif
            +
            + ; Make the hilighting look back (10 lines) and case insensitive
            + 0 hilight .hilight.info 3 10 $global-scheme
            +
            + ; First line of the file is the menu line always commences
            + ; with File:, hilight the whole line here.
            + hilight .hilight.info 2 "^File:" .scheme.link
            + ; Menus, appear at the start of the line and extend to
            + ; a colon or double colon character.
            + hilight .hilight.info 0 "^*\\{[^:]*\\}:" .scheme.link
            + ; Notes appear embedded in text and may span multiple
            + ; lines, again these are branches.
            + hilight .hilight.info 4 "*note" ":" "" .scheme.link
            + ; Hilighted items are in a open/close quote pairs, these
            + ; can span multiple lines so use a branch.
            + hilight .hilight.info 0x4 "`" "'" "" .scheme.bold
            + !endif
            +
            0 define-macro fhook-info
            !emacro

            ***************
            *** 142,147 ****
            --- 165,174 ----
            !endif
            -1 buffer-mode "edit"
            1 buffer-mode "view"
            + ; Force hilighting on the buffer
            + !if &band .hilight.flags 0x02
            + set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
            + !endif
            beginning-of-buffer
            buffer-bind-key info-jump-link "return"
            1 buffer-bind-key info-jump-link "n"
            [EXIT]

            Detlef Groth wrote:

> [...]
            > hilight .hilight.info 0x22 "^* " .scheme.link
            > hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
            > hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "^* " "* " "::" "::" "" .scheme.link
            >
            > 0 define-macro fhook-info
            > !if ¬ @#
            > etfinsrt "info"
            > !endif
            > set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
            > ; execute user extensions if enabled
            > !if &exist my-fhook-info
            > my-fhook-info
            > !endif
            > !emacro
            >
            > does not work.
            >
            > Any solution to this ?
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Detlef

            > Ask your questions here http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/2030
            > Everyone has unanswered questions right? So do you! Need
            > free business advice, help with taxes, info on London? Our

          • Detlef Groth
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 1999
              Jon,

              My problem was in the beginning that the info-files does not start with the `File:' but with the `This is info file'... statement. I was a victim of this narrowing ME-features which are difficult to understand but great to use.

              I was adding some filehooks (see below) to allow also syntax-hilighting for info-files currently not in info-mode. The hilighting is now really great and should be work sufficently well. It is a pleasure to read info-files. You can even use bookmarks...

              There is only one problem still with not working links if they contain regular expressions like:
              `* What is Bash?:: A short description of Bash.'
              To find this info I have to set-a bookmark, jump to any link then jump-to-the bookmark just unnarrowing the buffer and searching for the regexpression string. Or alternativly change the node and the link names to something nonregexpressiones like `C++' to `Cpp'. May be this can be also used in a more convinient way.

              It follows your and my changes in my info.emf file.

              ;To hilight the .info and also the dir file
              add-file-hook ".info dir " fhook-info ; Info-files
              ;To hilight all info files without the extension .info
              ;but starting with the text "This is info file..
              -2 add-file-hook "This is Info file" fhook-info

              !if &seq .hilight.info "ERROR"
              set-variable .hilight.info &pinc .hilight.next 1
              !endif
              0 hilight .hilight.info 0 $global-scheme
              ; just for headers substrikes
              hilight .hilight.info 2 "^*\\*\\*" .scheme.header
              hilight .hilight.info 2 "^===" .scheme.header
              hilight .hilight.info 2 "^---" .scheme.header
              ; Menus, appear at the start of the line and extend to
              ; a colon or double colon character.
              hilight .hilight.info 0 "^*\\{[^:]*\\}:" .scheme.link
              ; I would prefere not to label the whoole line
              hilight .hilight.info 1 "^File:" .scheme.link
              hilight .hilight.info 1 "Node:" .scheme.link
              hilight .hilight.info 1 "Next:" .scheme.link
              hilight .hilight.info 1 "Prev:" .scheme.link
              hilight .hilight.info 1 "Up:" .scheme.link
              ; your note-feature was not working at my machine so I use...
              hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "*Note" "*Note" ":" ":" "" .scheme.link
              ; Formatting
              hilight .hilight.info 0x44 "`" "" "'" "" "" .scheme.bold
              hilight .hilight.info 1 "* Menu:" .scheme.header

              0 define-macro fhook-info
              set-variable $buffer-hilight .hilight.info
              ; execute user extensions if enabled
              !if &exist my-fhook-info
              my-fhook-info

              Put together the best...and stay informed...

              best regards,
              Detlef

              <snip>
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 1999
                Detlef,

                Sorry, I understand what you are doing now - I did
                something else !!

                If you also add the following:-

                ; Hide the special characters.
                hilight .hilight.info 64 "\x7f" " --> " .scheme.link
                hilight .hilight.info 64 "\x1f" "--- Page Break ---" .scheme.bold

                Then you can make the special characters a little
                more palatable. Change the text replacement to suite
                your requirements.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 13, 1999
                  > There is only one problem still with not working links if they contain regular
                  > expressions like: `* What is Bash?:: A short description of Bash.' To find
                  > this info I have to set-a bookmark, jump to any link then jump-to-the bookmark
                  > just unnarrowing the buffer and searching for the regexpression string. Or
                  > alternativly change the node and the link names to something
                  > nonregexpressiones like `C++' to `Cpp'. May be this can be also used in a more
                  > convinient way.

                  The following diff log should fix the above problem, I say should because I've
                  not tested this (don't know where "What is Bash?" is). The line numbers may be
                  different depending on the version of your info.emf.

                  *** /home/stevenp/me/macros/info.emf.~0~ Sun Dec 12 19:01:08 1999
                  --- /home/stevenp/me/macros/info.emf Tue Dec 14 07:18:44 1999
                  ***************
                  *** 480,486 ****
                  !if &seq #l0 ""
                  set-variable #l0 "Top"
                  !endif
                  ! var-str-sub #l0 "\\" "\\\\"
                  !force search-forward &spr "^File: .* Node:[ \t]+%s[,\n]" #l0
                  !if ¬ $status
                  !if &seq #l0 "Top"
                  --- 480,486 ----
                  !if &seq #l0 ""