macro evaluation and comments

  • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
      Do comments affect the evaluation time of macros? I guess what I'm really asking is if comments get ignored during define-macro or during the evaluation of the macro. While it won't make much difference one way or another in most cases, it's still handy to know. For example, if I had a tight loop, I'd want to place my comments outside of it rather than in it. I remember early in versions of TCL, comments inside procs would degrade performance a little bit, I was just wondering if that were case here.

      Thanks,
      bryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
        Comments have no effect on performance, they can however chew memory if
        the comment is at the end of a non-empty line, i.e.:

        ; this comment will take no memory as it can be discarded
        forward-line ; this will be stored so will take memory!

        Of