Re: Feature question/request

  • smithno999
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
      Seems like a good first step. I'm not sure it's practical to
      bind each to a key because there are probably 20 or 30 tags
      to insert. But defining the macros would be easy if they
      can be put in a menu!

      Norm

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
        I just put the key binding there because that's what I am using for this
        particular example.

        Here's the other half of the puzzle.

        The command to read up on is "osd".
        The default main menus are all set up on osd.emf.
        User customizations can be put in myosd.emf (in the company dir). Don't
        put them in your ini file; the menu is apparently loaded after it.

        The best place to start might be by making your own additions to the
        existing menu system, e.g.,

        ;------------------------------------------------------------
        ; myosd.emf thundt rev 1 02-Nov-04
        ; Mods to OSD setup.
        ;------------------------------------------------------------

        osd 1 145 "" "Print \HRegion" f print-region ; print region

        ; Experimentation w/ menus (cf osd.emf)
        ; Create a new menu:
        ;osd 0 80 "Mdfsh" " \HFoo " 99

        ; Add to existing Insert menu:
        osd 4 80 "-"
        osd 4 90 "" "Newline" f newline ; test example

        -Th

        smithno999 wrote:
        > Seems like a good first step. I'm not sure it's practical to
        > bind each to a key because there are probably 20 or 30 tags
        > to insert. But defining the macros would be easy if they
        > can be put in a menu!
        >
        > Norm
        >
        > --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:
        >
        >>Why not? It's trivial to write a macro to insert stuff like this:
        >>
        >>; from myhtml.emf
        >>define-macro open-anchor
        >> insert-string "<a href=\"\"></a>"
        >> 6 backward-char
        >>!emacro
        >>
        >>buffer-bind-key open-anchor "C-x {"
        >>

        >>Now all you have to do is figure out how to call it from a menu.
        >>
        >>-Th
        >>

        >>smithno999 wrote:
        >>
        >>>First, let me say that I really-really like the latest Jasspa ME!
        >>>
        >>>I'd like to be able to insert HTML, actually
        >>>any XML, tags in a file with only one or two mouse clicks. Real
        >>>Emacs with the PSGML package allows you to right click and select
        >>>a tag to insert. TextPad has a feature called a clipbook that has
        >>>a window on the left side that has the tag "title",
        >
        > like "Paragraph".
        >
        >>>You click it and "<P>$</P>" is inserted into the text with the
        >>>cursor on the "$". Having a drop down menu item where you can
        >>>specify tags to insert would work as well.
        >>>
        >>>The question is can this type of text-insert be implemented
        >>>in the existing ME scripting language?
        >>>
        >>>Norm

      • smithno999
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
          Thomas,

          I figured there must be a way to do it. I'll dig into that
          tonight!

          Thanks!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
            smithno999 wrote:
            > First, let me say that I really-really like the latest Jasspa ME!
            >
            > I'd like to be able to insert HTML, actually
            > any XML, tags in a file with only one or two mouse clicks. Real
            > Emacs with the PSGML package allows you to right click and select
            > a tag to insert. TextPad has a feature called a clipbook that has
            > a window on the left side that has the tag "title", like "Paragraph".
            > You click it and "<P>$</P>" is inserted into the text with the
            > cursor on the "$". Having a drop down menu item where you can
            > specify tags to insert would work as well.
            >
            > The question is can this type of text-insert be implemented
            > in the existing ME scripting language?
            >
            > Norm

            Have you tried turning the toolbar on? This might do what you want (Steve is probably better
            at answering this one than myself as I only use the keyboard).

            To turn the toolbar on then enter "Help" -> "User Setup" (or M-x user-setup) -> "Platform"
            -> "Enable Toolbar". Then "Save" and "Current" to store the setting and make it so.

            You should then get a toolbar to the left.

            Right click on the bottom of toolbar window and "Add Tool (page)" and add the following (if
            they do not appear then they are already added):-

            Buffer Abbreviations
            Buffer Tools.

            Left/Right arrows on the tool bar mode line allows you to swap between the tool windows.

            Selecting an item inserts it at the current cursor position.

            Give it a go, if you do not like it then you can turn it off by disabling the toolbar from
            the User Setup - much the same way as you enabled.

            *Note* when the toolbar is enabled then you probably want to change the size of the frame
            when ME starts. Re-size the window to what you want then right click on the mode line and
            select "Store Frame Size". Next time you start up ME then the window will be this size.

            Hope that helps.
            Jon.
          • smithno999
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2005
              That looks like it will do the trick. I just have to dig out how
              to make my own.

              Thanks!!
              Norm

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2005
                smithno999 wrote:
                > That looks like it will do the trick. I just have to dig out how
                > to make my own.

                For HTML then the files to look at are:-

                html.eaf
                hkhtml.eaf

                If you are dealing with SGML then there is a

                sgml.eaf

                This really needs a hksgml.eaf. The sgml.eaf is a bit of a mess and needs to be tidied up
                and extended - it just contains the basic docbook fragments that I use.

                There is no xml.eaf/hkxml.eaf as XML can just about address anything and conform to any DTD.

                The syntax is real easy to guess at so you can probably start hacking immediately without
                reading anything. Notice that html.eaf uses a smart macro "html-insert-attrib" (defined in
                htmlutil.emf) to do some of the editing work and work out the insertion point. If I recall
                the eaf's are not reloaded automatically so you have to open a new ME session to test any
                chnages you have made.

                Jon.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Changes to the eaf are not automatically reload due to performance.

                  The best way to see your changes is to save the file, go to a buffer of
                  the right type (html, sgml etc), right click on the tool's mode line,
                  select the first option 'Refresh Tool' in the context menu that opens.

                  Steve