Doc

  • smithno999
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2005
      The "Getting Started With JASSPA MicroEmacs" is wonderful!

      It sure would be nice to have the contents of the ME Help file in a PDF
      or some other form that allows printing the whole document.

      Norm
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2005
        smithno999 wrote:
        > The "Getting Started With JASSPA MicroEmacs" is wonderful!

        I think wonderful is a little strong, but it is a start.
        Glad it was useful.
        Comments on how it may be improved are always welcomed.

        > It sure would be nice to have the contents of the ME Help file in a PDF
        > or some other form that allows printing the whole document.
        >
        > Norm

        PDF would be nice.

        I'm halfway though moving to docbook/SGML (well I was 6 month ago), the idea being to
        generate PDF, HTML and me-on-line help from a single document source. Sounds good, but this
        was stalled when the docbook conversion blew up with the number of pages it had to process
        and I've been in two minds as to what to do next. There is a plan but I've not managed to
        put all of the tools together to do what I want just yet and it has kind of stalled (also
        the documentation takes soooooo much time).

        As a temporary stop gap the "Getting Started" was authored in LaTeX as a stand alone
        document, but this is not a good interchange format for the on-line ME help which is always
        required. As typesetting goes LaTeX is very good and can manage huge documents.

        So we cannot really deliver what you want at the moment (to my mind a version that is not
        hyper linked is not that useful either). Detlef (http://www.miocroemacs.de) used to have a
        hyper linked PDF version, but I just had a look and it is not there - not sure how he
        generated it. I've just posted this on the JASSPA site (find on documentation page called
        me2002.pdf). However I do not think you want to print this out as it is 1900 pages long and
        out of date - but have posted it in case it is useful.

        The plan is to complete the SGML move and ...

        a) Generate a good PDF document with richer content than the current documents which is both
        fully hyper linked and printable. The richer format would allow us to include more
        descriptive text (much like the "Getting Started") in addition to the drier reference pages.
        b) Ditch winhelp in favor of PDF.
        c) Generate the on-line help from the SGML sources.
        d) Generate hyper linked HTML from the SGML sources.
        e) Losslessly condense the reference pages for the printable format.

        At the moment this all seems to be along way away off because of our tooling to deal with
        the SGML format in terms of indexing, cross referencing and authoring. A pre-requisite is
        that it has to be built by Make(1) and can be dealt with in small fragments, stuck together
        and auto indexed - something like Word is out of the question.

        So we know what you want, we want it ourselves, but have not managed to find a good way to
        produce it yet - sorry.

        Jon.
      • smithno999
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
          Jon,

          I haven't done any DocBook, but I do have an SGML background. Maybe
          I can be some help to get the existing doc into SGML. Send me
          an e-mail and we can see what can be worked out.

          Norm