I fear this is a typical newbie question, but...

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29 5:23 AM
      Hi,

      ...how can I prevent the deselection of a region when hitting the end
      of a buffer while scrolling down ?

      Would help me a lot...Microemacs scrolls faster than my finger gets
      lifted from the keyboard :O)

      Have a nice Sunday!
      Meino
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29 5:36 AM
        Is this while holding the shift key down? I.e. holding the Shift and down
        cursor key?

        Setting the mark and then moving down or using the mouse seems to work okay so
        this would appear to be a bug in the 'MS Shift Region' feature,

        Steve

        > Subject: [jasspa] I fear this is a typical newbie question, but...
        > From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
        > Date: Sunday, May 29, 2005, 1:23:50 PM
        > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
        > Hi,

        > ...how can I prevent the deselection of a region when hitting the end
        > of a buffer while scrolling down ?

        > Would help me a lot...Microemacs scrolls faster than my finger gets
        > lifted from the keyboard :O)

        > Have a nice Sunday!
        > Meino

      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29 6:38 AM
          From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
          Subject: Re: [jasspa] I fear this is a typical newbie question, but...
          Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 13:36:07 +0100

          No, this happens when scrolling down with "Page Down".
          The first "impulse" of the key repeat, which reaches EOB does not
          deselect the region, the next, second "impulse" cleares the region
          selection.

          When using the key repeat feature this behaviour is a little annoying,
          since it is difficult (at least for me ;) to lift my finger just in
          that momen when EOB is hit....

          Message 4 of 6 , May 29 9:03 AM
            I think it is turning off the highlight but not doing anything to the
            region itself.

            Example:
            Insert say a half screenful of lines.
            C-home (beginning-of-buffer)
            set-mark
            PgDn
            (window is now empty, all the lines are just above the window, and
            they're highlighted)
            PgUp
            (the lines are visible -- and highlighted)

            Now try it again, hitting PgDn twice. This time, you see the message
            "[end of buffer]" at the bottom. No highlighting. (Same result if you
            do some scroll-up's instead of PgUp.)

            In my experience, the highlight is a fragile thing, and it's not clear
            what the rules are around what makes it go away. Anything that causes
            an error? I've learned to use it as a guide to tell me where the region
            is, knowing full well that kill-region will still do what I want, even
            though the highlight is gone. I use copy-region to confirm where the
            region is (because it turns the highlighting back on).

            One workaround would be to use C-end (end-of-buffer) to get to the end
            of the buffer and not hit PgDn whatever number of times. This has the
            advantage of the EOB being visible when you get to it.

            -Th

            > No, this happens when scrolling down with "Page Down".
            > The first "impulse" of the key repeat, which reaches EOB does not
            > deselect the region, the next, second "impulse" cleares the region
            > selection.
            >
            > When using the key repeat feature this behaviour is a little annoying,
            > since it is difficult (at least for me ;) to lift my finger just in
            > that momen when EOB is hit....
            >
            > Meino

            >>Is this while holding the shift key down? I.e. holding the Shift and down
            >>cursor key?
            >>
            >>Setting the mark and then moving down or using the mouse seems to work okay so
            >>this would appear to be a bug in the 'MS Shift Region' feature,
            >>
            >>Steve

            >>>From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
            >>> ...how can I prevent the deselection of a region when hitting the end
            >>> of a buffer while scrolling down ?
            >>
            >>> Would help me a lot...Microemacs scrolls faster than my finger gets
            >>> lifted from the keyboard :O)
          • Meino Christian Cramer
            Message 5 of 6 , May 29 10:04 AM
              From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
              Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 09:03:52 -0700

              Hi Thomas,

              oh yeah! That explains much ! :)

              May be a redraw-thingy will wipe the region-marking ? (guessed...;)

              I will try to get used to use C-end instead of ("Page Down")^n ;)

              Thanks a lot! :O)
              Meino

              Message 6 of 6 , May 29 10:17 AM
                Using exchange-point-and-mark is another very useful 'trick' which helps in
                this and the more general 'Where's my mark?' situation, try the following:

                C-x C-x - confirm where the mark point is.
                C-x C-x - restore things to how they were.