RE: [jasspa] cwd

  • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
    Message 1 of 14 , May 26, 2005
      aw shucks, I was hoping it would change directories based on the current buffer like Emacs.

    • first last
      Message 2 of 14 , May 26, 2005
        Just press C-x C-w and it will show you where it is going to save (the
        CWD), then C-g to cancel.

        --- "Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)" <Bryan.Schofield@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        aw shucks, I was hoping it would change directories based on the
        current buffer like Emacs.

        modify your account settings manually.

      • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
        Message 3 of 14 , May 26, 2005
          I need to do this from in a macro :-(

          Message 4 of 14 , May 26, 2005
            Dumb question: Why do you want to change the directory without doing
            anything else?
            (Like, if you are trying to open a file, why not concatenate the dir
            with the filename and just open it?)
            What is it you REALLY want to do?

            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2005
              I do not like the extra step of having to remember to "write-file" the first time I want to save a new buffer. So I wrote the macro write-or-save-file, which will do the appropriate action. When writing a new file, it prompts the user to enter a file name, using filename autocompletion and specifying an initial value. The initial value being buffer name. However, what I'd really like to do is augment the buffer name with the current directory so that it's absolutely clear where the file will be written. Furhtermore, it's highly likely I don't remember what directory in which I started the editor. The product I work on is just under 2 million lines of C++ spread over 50 directories. I might of fired the editor up in any number of them two days ago and I may be editing files from other directories.

              My macro works fine, and I <tab> in the message line to just to make sure I'm saving the file where I really want, but it would nice if I got:

              New file: /an/absolute/path/to/my/new.file

              instead of

              New file: new.file <tab>

              -- bryan

              Message 6 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                Oh so you're opening new BUFFERS instead of new FILES when you are
                making changes. Meaning, the step of figuring out the filename comes
                when you save, instead of when you begin editing the file. If you
                opened new files when editing, it might be less confusing. (Note that
                it still doesn't actually create the file on disk until you save it.)
                Find-file at least gives you the path the way you want it. You still
                have to type a new buffer name, one way or the other.

                I guess the question is, why are you creating new buffers, and how are
                you creating them. Cutting and pasting? A macro? Something else?

                Message 7 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                  instead of doing something like "me newfile"
                  I'm doing something like "me"
                  C-x b newfile (create a new buffer called "newfile")
                  edit newfile buffer
                  C-x C-s (save buffer "newfile". Ack! can't save, must C-x C-w to write-file)

                  I'm just creating a new file from within an existing me session. Sometimes I just need a new file ;-)

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                    Yeah I see what you mean. My point is, instead of doing C-x b newfile,
                    try C-x C-f... That way you can use C-x C-s later and you haven't done
                    any more typing.

                    (Plus, you can use save-buffers-and-exit to quit quickly. And I think
                    it might allow it to create temporary backups in case the thing crashes.
                    Not sure about this last.)

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                      Ah good suggestion, honestly, I've doing C-x b for so long, it didn't occur to me. Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 27, 2005
                        doh... I could have saved my self a lot of trouble if I'd understood the docs a little better.

                        @ml61 "New File" $buffer-bname

                        Gives me exactly what I want. It provides the initial value $buffer-bname, then performs absolute filename auto-completion with it. Giving me:

                        New File: /an/absolute/path/to/my/new.file

                        Silly me.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 28, 2005
                          > Yeah I see what you mean. My point is, instead of doing C-x b newfile,
                          > try C-x C-f... That way you can use C-x C-s later and you haven't done
                          > any more typing.

                          > (Plus, you can use save-buffers-and-exit to quit quickly. And I think
                          > it might allow it to create temporary backups in case the thing crashes.
                          > Not sure about this last.)

                          This is correct which is a major advantage - one thing I've been contemplating
                          is auto-saving buffers which have no file name (and the buffer name does not
                          start with a '*'), as I keep losing work. But where to? Have a new environment
                          variable pointing to the location?

                          If others think this would be useful I'll add it when I can,

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 30, 2005
                            How about putting them in the MEBACKUPPATH dir in a fake "volume" like
                            "BUFFERS". (At the moment, under this dir, there are volume names like
                            "C".) Maybe have an ME variable that can disable it. (I don't think a
                            system environment variable is needed.)

                            If someone doesn't want this functionality, they can flip an ME variable
                            or not enable backups.

                            Alternately, use /tmp and whatever system functions give you a unique
                            filename (or use PID + timestamp)?

                            -Th