Re: [jasspa] cwd

    Message 1 of 14 , May 25, 2005
      It's wherever you start the program in! In Windows, this is specified
      in the shortcut ("Start In"). If you try to open a file using
      find-file, it will start at that location. (I always set the CWD
      location in the shortcut to C:\ for this reason.)

      -Th

      Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans) wrote:

      > Is there a way to find the current working directory for a buffer
      > that hasn't had a file associated with it yet? I know if I had a
      > filename I could get the directory, but in my case I don't. I've
      > scoured the documentation and source and haven't found anything that
      > gets me cwd. Have I missed something?
    • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
      Message 2 of 14 , May 26, 2005
        aw shucks, I was hoping it would change directories based on the current buffer like Emacs.

      • first last
        Message 3 of 14 , May 26, 2005
          Just press C-x C-w and it will show you where it is going to save (the
          CWD), then C-g to cancel.

          --- "Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)" <Bryan.Schofield@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          aw shucks, I was hoping it would change directories based on the
          current buffer like Emacs.

          modify your account settings manually.

        • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
          Message 4 of 14 , May 26, 2005
            I need to do this from in a macro :-(

            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2005
              Dumb question: Why do you want to change the directory without doing
              anything else?
              (Like, if you are trying to open a file, why not concatenate the dir
              with the filename and just open it?)
              What is it you REALLY want to do?

              Message 6 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                I do not like the extra step of having to remember to "write-file" the first time I want to save a new buffer. So I wrote the macro write-or-save-file, which will do the appropriate action. When writing a new file, it prompts the user to enter a file name, using filename autocompletion and specifying an initial value. The initial value being buffer name. However, what I'd really like to do is augment the buffer name with the current directory so that it's absolutely clear where the file will be written. Furhtermore, it's highly likely I don't remember what directory in which I started the editor. The product I work on is just under 2 million lines of C++ spread over 50 directories. I might of fired the editor up in any number of them two days ago and I may be editing files from other directories.

                My macro works fine, and I <tab> in the message line to just to make sure I'm saving the file where I really want, but it would nice if I got:

                New file: /an/absolute/path/to/my/new.file

                instead of

                New file: new.file <tab>

                -- bryan

                Message 7 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                  Oh so you're opening new BUFFERS instead of new FILES when you are
                  making changes. Meaning, the step of figuring out the filename comes
                  when you save, instead of when you begin editing the file. If you
                  opened new files when editing, it might be less confusing. (Note that
                  it still doesn't actually create the file on disk until you save it.)
                  Find-file at least gives you the path the way you want it. You still
                  have to type a new buffer name, one way or the other.

                  I guess the question is, why are you creating new buffers, and how are
                  you creating them. Cutting and pasting? A macro? Something else?

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                    instead of doing something like "me newfile"
                    I'm doing something like "me"
                    C-x b newfile (create a new buffer called "newfile")
                    edit newfile buffer
                    C-x C-s (save buffer "newfile". Ack! can't save, must C-x C-w to write-file)

                    I'm just creating a new file from within an existing me session. Sometimes I just need a new file ;-)

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                      Yeah I see what you mean. My point is, instead of doing C-x b newfile,
                      try C-x C-f... That way you can use C-x C-s later and you haven't done
                      any more typing.

                      (Plus, you can use save-buffers-and-exit to quit quickly. And I think
                      it might allow it to create temporary backups in case the thing crashes.
                      Not sure about this last.)

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                        Ah good suggestion, honestly, I've doing C-x b for so long, it didn't occur to me. Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 27, 2005
                          doh... I could have saved my self a lot of trouble if I'd understood the docs a little better.

                          @ml61 "New File" $buffer-bname

                          Gives me exactly what I want. It provides the initial value $buffer-bname, then performs absolute filename auto-completion with it. Giving me:

                          New File: /an/absolute/path/to/my/new.file

                          Silly me.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 28, 2005
                            > Yeah I see what you mean. My point is, instead of doing C-x b newfile,
                            > try C-x C-f... That way you can use C-x C-s later and you haven't done
                            > any more typing.

                            > (Plus, you can use save-buffers-and-exit to quit quickly. And I think
                            > it might allow it to create temporary backups in case the thing crashes.
                            > Not sure about this last.)

                            This is correct which is a major advantage - one thing I've been contemplating
                            is auto-saving buffers which have no file name (and the buffer name does not
                            start with a '*'), as I keep losing work. But where to? Have a new environment
                            variable pointing to the location?

                            If others think this would be useful I'll add it when I can,

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 30, 2005
                              How about putting them in the MEBACKUPPATH dir in a fake "volume" like
                              "BUFFERS". (At the moment, under this dir, there are volume names like
                              "C".) Maybe have an ME variable that can disable it. (I don't think a
                              system environment variable is needed.)

                              If someone doesn't want this functionality, they can flip an ME variable
                              or not enable backups.

                              Alternately, use /tmp and whatever system functions give you a unique
                              filename (or use PID + timestamp)?

                              -Th