Delete word backward operation

  • smithno999
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2005
      One of my all time favorite key strokes in MicroEmacs
      was Esc-Backspace to delete word back. In ME 3.n and 4.0,
      and XEmacs, this deleted the previous word, including trailing
      white space. Assume that I wanted to delete 3 words, I
      would hit Esc-Backspace 3 times. Jasspa Emacs stops
      the delete back at the whitespace between words. So, to
      delete three words, you have to do Esc-Backspace 6
      times, once for each word and once for each space. It
      would be great to make deleting a word back to work
      like it did in the original MicroEmacs. Please
      consider this an enhancement request.

      Norm
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2005
        smithno999 wrote:
        > One of my all time favorite key strokes in MicroEmacs
        > was Esc-Backspace to delete word back. In ME 3.n and 4.0,
        > and XEmacs, this deleted the previous word, including trailing
        > white space. Assume that I wanted to delete 3 words, I
        > would hit Esc-Backspace 3 times. Jasspa Emacs stops
        > the delete back at the whitespace between words. So, to
        > delete three words, you have to do Esc-Backspace 6
        > times, once for each word and once for each space. It
        > would be great to make deleting a word back to work
        > like it did in the original MicroEmacs. Please
        > consider this an enhancement request.
        >
        > Norm

        See the contributions page.

        http://www.jasspa.com/subs/sub23.txt

        I use super-delete and super-backspace all of the time - cannot live
        without them! The super-backspace will do what you want with respect to
        smarter word/whitespace deletion. Change the binding to what you want i.e.

        global-bind-key super-backspace "esc backspace"

        Super !
        Jon.
      • smithno999
        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2005