[jasspa] Reported download problems from the JASSPA site + other sites

  • Jonathan Naughton-Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 1999
      Reported download problems from the JASSPA site + other sites:

      > Looking at the size different 241322 -> 241954 something horrible is
      > happening, unix to dos \n -> \r\n conversion??? This type of problem was
      > raised earlier in the eGroup discussion, was there a solution? Jon, I know you
      > were looking into this.

      I spoke to my ISP they are running a UNIX server. I have a nagging feeling
      that this is a Netscape problem, maybe confined to V4.7, possibly
      running from an NT platform, but I cannot confirm this. A download
      from a UNIX box should be OK. Dare I say it, but a download with IE4/5
      should also be OK (Aghhhhh).

      Your analysis is correct, all of the \n => \r\n making the file larger
      so an ASCII download is occuring and the file appears to be corrupted
      on the gunzip (well it is corrupted by MS pollution !!).

      Two things that I was going to do, but have not got round to are:-

      a) See if I can register .gz as a binary file in Netscape.
      b) Look at the Netscape home site to see if anybody else
      has reported this with a solution.

      If anybody else who has had problems can say what browser and
      O/S they are using we might start to see a pattern. I've already
      seen problems with:-

      Netscape V4.7; NT 4.0 (Service Patch 5)