Re-mapping keys

  • smithno999
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19 5:50 AM
      I want to map keys on the keypad to make it easier to get non-emacs
      folks to use MicroEmacs to edit files in an application that I
      maintain. I dug through the doc and found the keypad names, then
      using the describe-key command verified key names. My problem is
      that only the cursor movement keys return their keypad names. For
      example, the 0 (INS) key return "kp-insert". The
      /,*,-,+,Enter keys all return their characters. My problem is I
      really need for the /,*,-,+,Enter keys to return their kp-equivalent
      names to be able to map the keypad identically to the other
      editor commonly in use.

      My real question is: Is there a setting I've missed that will turn
      on the missing kp-keys or am I out of luck?

      Actually, I have a second unrelated issue. How do I turn on printing
      from MicroEmacs in Windows?

      I'm running Windows XP on a Dell desktop PC.

      Great job in this release! I used the original microEmacs for
      years and did not give it up completely until I just could not
      live with the 8.3 filenames any longer. This version of MicroEmacs
      is a major step above the previous one IMHO!

      Norm
    • smithno999
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19 7:29 AM
        I got printing turned on...

        Message 3 of 3 , May 19 4:35 PM
          smithno999 wrote:
          > I want to map keys on the keypad to make it easier to get non-emacs
          > folks to use MicroEmacs to edit files in an application that I
          > maintain. I dug through the doc and found the keypad names, then
          > using the describe-key command verified key names. My problem is
          > that only the cursor movement keys return their keypad names. For
          > example, the 0 (INS) key return "kp-insert". The
          > /,*,-,+,Enter keys all return their characters. My problem is I
          > really need for the /,*,-,+,Enter keys to return their kp-equivalent
          > names to be able to map the keypad identically to the other
          > editor commonly in use.
          >
          > My real question is: Is there a setting I've missed that will turn
          > on the missing kp-keys or am I out of luck?

          Out of luck on the standard release.

          They all used to be mapped as specials as there are some remains of that key processing in
          the winterm.c code. Cannot remember why it was removed or if it was ever fully supported
          cross platform.

          Maybe we should reconsider these bindings.
          Will look at what is involved in enabling this.
          Jon.