Re: [jasspa] 2005 RC2 matching fence bug

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2005
      Bryan,

      This is a know issue (to me at any rate) and does not currently have a simple
      solution. The problem is that the findFence code does not know that in tcl '#'
      is a comment to the end of line (sometimes! must be first none white char
      after a new line or a ';' I believe). As you have found, this does work for C
      as ME has a special understanding of C & C++ (and Java uses it too).

      But how to fix? ME now supports 75+ file types so it can't have a special
      understanding of all file types! It needs some sort of buffer sensitive
      configuration for this and that does not exist yet.

      It is however on my to do list - I have a friend whose hit a similar problem
      with perl, but it will not be fixed for this release.

      Steve

      > Subject: [jasspa] 2005 RC2 matching fence bug
      > From: Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans) <Bryan.Schofield@...>
      > Date: Thursday, April 14, 2005, 10:23:00 PM
      > To: <jasspa@yahoogroups.com>

      > In Tcl mode,

      > if {1} {
      > # its not going to find the matching curly brace if there is an
      > # umatched single quote, double quote, open or closing parenthesis
      > # ' " ) (
      > # embedded in a comment
      > }

      > Is this a known issue? I noticed that this doesn't occur in C mode so I
      > started poking around the source. I see that the findFence algorithm
      > (random.c) specifically handles c style comments. I didn't fully analyze
      > it... it's too long and it's the end of day, but I wonder if it can be
      > enhanced to check and see if it's in mode specific comment without taking
      > too much of a performance hit.

      > I hate to submit issues with no suggestion on how to fix or improve it,
      > but I'm afraid I just don't have the intimate knowledge of me internals
      > required for this one.

      > -- bryan

    • first last
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2005
        That would be great. As a minor solution it could be done for all the
        languages that use C++ style comments (such as PHP, Java, Javascript)

        modify your account settings manually.