2005 RC2 matching fence bug

  • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2005
      In Tcl mode,

      if {1} {
      # its not going to find the matching curly brace if there is an
      # umatched single quote, double quote, open or closing parenthesis
      # ' " ) (
      # embedded in a comment
      }

      Is this a known issue? I noticed that this doesn't occur in C mode so I started poking around the source. I see that the findFence algorithm (random.c) specifically handles c style comments. I didn't fully analyze it... it's too long and it's the end of day, but I wonder if it can be enhanced to check and see if it's in mode specific comment without taking too much of a performance hit.

      I hate to submit issues with no suggestion on how to fix or improve it, but I'm afraid I just don't have the intimate knowledge of me internals required for this one.

      -- bryan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2005
        Bryan,

        This is a know issue (to me at any rate) and does not currently have a simple
        solution. The problem is that the findFence code does not know that in tcl '#'
        is a comment to the end of line (sometimes! must be first none white char
        after a new line or a ';' I believe). As you have found, this does work for C
        as ME has a special understanding of C & C++ (and Java uses it too).

        But how to fix? ME now supports 75+ file types so it can't have a special
        understanding of all file types! It needs some sort of buffer sensitive
        configuration for this and that does not exist yet.

        It is however on my to do list - I have a friend whose hit a similar problem
        with perl, but it will not be fixed for this release.

        Steve

        > Subject: [jasspa] 2005 RC2 matching fence bug
        > From: Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans) <Bryan.Schofield@...>
        > Date: Thursday, April 14, 2005, 10:23:00 PM
        > To: <jasspa@yahoogroups.com>

        > In Tcl mode,

        > if {1} {
        > # its not going to find the matching curly brace if there is an
        > # umatched single quote, double quote, open or closing parenthesis
        > # ' " ) (
        > # embedded in a comment
        > }

        > Is this a known issue? I noticed that this doesn't occur in C mode so I
        > started poking around the source. I see that the findFence algorithm
        > (random.c) specifically handles c style comments. I didn't fully analyze
        > it... it's too long and it's the end of day, but I wonder if it can be
        > enhanced to check and see if it's in mode specific comment without taking
        > too much of a performance hit.

        > I hate to submit issues with no suggestion on how to fix or improve it,
        > but I'm afraid I just don't have the intimate knowledge of me internals
        > required for this one.

        > -- bryan

      • first last
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2005
          That would be great. As a minor solution it could be done for all the
          languages that use C++ style comments (such as PHP, Java, Javascript)

          modify your account settings manually.