RE: [jasspa] Terminal Mode with Colors

  • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11 11:50 AM
      Thank you for explaining that better than me, that it exactly what I meant.

      Over the years, I've finely tuned my office environment to be optimal for programming. This is really just removing the aweful flourescent lights from above, papering my window, and posting a "Go Away" sign on my door. I remove the lights and block the window because bright light bothers my eyes. The sign is just there to scare off the interns. I'd prefer to look at a medium-dark gray (gray35) background with white text, which is what my xterm is. At the same time, I'd like to have syntax highlighting too.

      If you could set a "none" option in the scheme-editor for a background, that would be excellent.

      -- bryan

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11 12:56 PM
        Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans) wrote:
        > Thank you for explaining that better than me, that it exactly what I meant.
        >
        > Over the years, I've finely tuned my office environment to be optimal for programming.
        > This is really just removing the aweful flourescent lights from above, papering my
        > window, and posting a "Go Away" sign on my door. I remove the lights and block the window
        > because bright light bothers my eyes. The sign is just there to scare off the interns.
        > I'd prefer to look at a medium-dark gray (gray35) background with white text, which is
        > what my xterm is. At the same time, I'd like to have syntax highlighting too.
        >
        > If you could set a "none" option in the scheme-editor for a background, that would be
        > excellent.
        >
        > -- bryan

        OK, I'm up to speed (thanks -Th), sorry I was being a bit slow earlier!

        I will investigate this further and see what can be done - could quite possibly be straight
        forward.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11 1:01 PM
          Why don't you try the other color schemes that are already built.
          Perhaps there already is one that's close. Have you tried them all?

          You can edit them manually to your heart's content. Use the scheme
          editor under Help. Or edit your own scheme manually, which is what I
          did. They're named scheme___.emf, and the filename to real name
          mapping is in schemes.emf. Note that the program will reduce the colors
          in these scheme files to the ansi colors used by xterm. So, while with
          a GUI you could get many shades of red, on the xterm there will be red
          and bright red (if you're lucky).

          -Th

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11 1:10 PM
            Thomas Hundt wrote:
            > Why don't you try the other color schemes that are already built. Perhaps there already
            > is one that's close. Have you tried them all?
            >
            > You can edit them manually to your heart's content. Use the scheme editor under Help.
            > Or edit your own scheme manually, which is what I did. They're named scheme___.emf, and
            > the filename to real name mapping is in schemes.emf. Note that the program will reduce
            > the colors in these scheme files to the ansi colors used by xterm. So, while with a GUI
            > you could get many shades of red, on the xterm there will be red and bright red (if
            > you're lucky).
            >
            > -Th
            >

            >> I'd prefer to look at a medium-dark gray (gray35) background with white text, which is
            >> what my xterm is. At the same time, I'd like to have syntax highlighting too.

            This also leads into another request we had some time ago for buffer type backgrounds. I did
            start looking at that and it was possible - I just never managed to finish it (still on my
            list - still have some prototype code somewhere). I also figured that the scheme editor
            could be made easier if you were only changing the foreground colours for each type construct.

            I guess it is time to ressurect this as well and complete it.

            Jon.
          • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11 1:12 PM
              Unfortunately gray doesn't map well on to a console. It's either black or white. Black will do just fine. I just thought I'd ask just in case I overlooked something.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11 1:56 PM
                Well there IS a scheme called "black on grey". I think grey is
                implemented as "non-highlighted white" and white is "highlighted white".
                (ANSI colors.) The actual colors depend on what your xterm uses.
                (E.g., I use a thing called Putty; I can make the colors whatever I
                want. Still only limited to like 16 of them, though -- the "ansi
                colors" -- 8 colors and 8 bolded/highlighted versions thereof.)

                -Th