Re: [jasspa] Terminal Mode with Colors

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
      I think he means he'd like the background of the ME text to be the same
      color as the background of the xterm it is running in (in text mode, not
      GUI mode). That means setting only the foreground color for text and
      not touching the background. The scheme editor doesn't show a
      "transparent" or "none" option on the color palette selector so maybe
      it's not possible to get ME to do this?

      Here is a sample list that breaks out the fg vs bg color escape sequences:
      http://linuxreviews.org/howtos/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/en/c327.html

      -Th

      Jon Green wrote:
      > Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans) wrote:
      >
      >>Is there a way to have "transparent" as color in terminal mode? For example, is it possible to set the background of Standard Text in such a way that no color is applied, letting the background of my xterm show through?
      >>
      >>Thanks
      >>
      >>-- bryan
      >

      > No. I'm not even sure how you do this in X but sounds like it is not
      > quick as there must be an alpha blend going on somewhere.
      >
      > Jon.
    • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
        Thank you for explaining that better than me, that it exactly what I meant.

        Over the years, I've finely tuned my office environment to be optimal for programming. This is really just removing the aweful flourescent lights from above, papering my window, and posting a "Go Away" sign on my door. I remove the lights and block the window because bright light bothers my eyes. The sign is just there to scare off the interns. I'd prefer to look at a medium-dark gray (gray35) background with white text, which is what my xterm is. At the same time, I'd like to have syntax highlighting too.

        If you could set a "none" option in the scheme-editor for a background, that would be excellent.

        -- bryan

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
          Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans) wrote:
          > Thank you for explaining that better than me, that it exactly what I meant.
          >
          > Over the years, I've finely tuned my office environment to be optimal for programming.
          > This is really just removing the aweful flourescent lights from above, papering my
          > window, and posting a "Go Away" sign on my door. I remove the lights and block the window
          > because bright light bothers my eyes. The sign is just there to scare off the interns.
          > I'd prefer to look at a medium-dark gray (gray35) background with white text, which is
          > what my xterm is. At the same time, I'd like to have syntax highlighting too.
          >
          > If you could set a "none" option in the scheme-editor for a background, that would be
          > excellent.
          >
          > -- bryan

          OK, I'm up to speed (thanks -Th), sorry I was being a bit slow earlier!

          I will investigate this further and see what can be done - could quite possibly be straight
          forward.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
            Why don't you try the other color schemes that are already built.
            Perhaps there already is one that's close. Have you tried them all?

            You can edit them manually to your heart's content. Use the scheme
            editor under Help. Or edit your own scheme manually, which is what I
            did. They're named scheme___.emf, and the filename to real name
            mapping is in schemes.emf. Note that the program will reduce the colors
            in these scheme files to the ansi colors used by xterm. So, while with
            a GUI you could get many shades of red, on the xterm there will be red
            and bright red (if you're lucky).

            -Th

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
              Thomas Hundt wrote:
              > Why don't you try the other color schemes that are already built. Perhaps there already
              > is one that's close. Have you tried them all?
              >
              > You can edit them manually to your heart's content. Use the scheme editor under Help.
              > Or edit your own scheme manually, which is what I did. They're named scheme___.emf, and
              > the filename to real name mapping is in schemes.emf. Note that the program will reduce
              > the colors in these scheme files to the ansi colors used by xterm. So, while with a GUI
              > you could get many shades of red, on the xterm there will be red and bright red (if
              > you're lucky).
              >
              > -Th
              >

              >> I'd prefer to look at a medium-dark gray (gray35) background with white text, which is
              >> what my xterm is. At the same time, I'd like to have syntax highlighting too.

              This also leads into another request we had some time ago for buffer type backgrounds. I did
              start looking at that and it was possible - I just never managed to finish it (still on my
              list - still have some prototype code somewhere). I also figured that the scheme editor
              could be made easier if you were only changing the foreground colours for each type construct.

              I guess it is time to ressurect this as well and complete it.

              Jon.
            • Schofield, Bryan (GE Trans)
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
                Unfortunately gray doesn't map well on to a console. It's either black or white. Black will do just fine. I just thought I'd ask just in case I overlooked something.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
                  Well there IS a scheme called "black on grey". I think grey is
                  implemented as "non-highlighted white" and white is "highlighted white".
                  (ANSI colors.) The actual colors depend on what your xterm uses.
                  (E.g., I use a thing called Putty; I can make the colors whatever I
                  want. Still only limited to like 16 of them, though -- the "ansi
                  colors" -- 8 colors and 8 bolded/highlighted versions thereof.)

                  -Th