questions: syntax highlighting; confirmations

  • s
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2005
      Hello, colleagues

      would be grateful if someone could help me finding the answers to the
      following questios:

      1. how can i create a new syntax highlighting scheme? and how can i
      then apply one to the file?
      the problem is that i want to create a certain highlitighting for the
      .TXT files in order to highlight certain types of these files. i
      surely do not want to apply this scheme to ALL .TXT files, but only to
      a few of them -- how can this be done?

      2. is it possible to check somethere in the options that ME should not
      ask me every time about saving changes to open files and about leaving
      if a modified bufer exists? i rarely leave editor, but if i do close
      it, then i do want to leave it :).

      thanks :).

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2005
        s wrote:
        > Hello, colleagues
        >
        > would be grateful if someone could help me finding the answers to the
        > following questios:
        >
        > 1. how can i create a new syntax highlighting scheme? and how can i
        > then apply one to the file?
        > the problem is that i want to create a certain highlitighting for the
        > .TXT files in order to highlight certain types of these files. i
        > surely do not want to apply this scheme to ALL .TXT files, but only to
        > a few of them -- how can this be done?

        Following are some attachments that do it.

        Add the hkextxt.emf file to your local user directory.
        Add the following line to your <user>.emf

        -1 add-file-hook "-[*!]-[ \t]*extxt.*-[*!]-" fhook-extxt ; -!- extxt -!-

        Create your .txt file with the magic string "-!- extxt -!- on the top
        line and then you should be running.

        Hack the hkextxt file to do what you want.

        > 2. is it possible to check somethere in the options that ME should not
        > ask me every time about saving changes to open files and about leaving
        > if a modified bufer exists? i rarely leave editor, but if i do close
        > it, then i do want to leave it :).

        Add to your <user>.emf:

        global-bind-key quick-exit "esc z"
        global-bind-key quick-exit "C-x C-c"

        Note that this saves the changes and exits without prompting.
        Dangerous to my mind, but that is your choice.

        I do not think that there is a standard exit command that discards the
        changes - would need to make a macro to do this. Here is an example
        where somebody wanted to be ALWAYS prompted before exiting - which
        is the exact opposite of what you want but kind of shows you
        how to replace the exit command with something that you
        want to write.

        define-macro my-exit-emacs
        !if &iseq @mc1 "Exit Emacs - Are you sure [y/n] ? " "yYnN" "y"
        save-buffers-exit-emacs @mna