A simple question

  • bdasts
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
      Hello all,

      I am a new ME user, Win-XP version. I have a question on how to
      set the default directory were find-file (C-x C-f) originates.
      In GNU-Emacs the command is (setq default-directory "C:\\Work\\")
      What is the equivelent ME command? If their is no command for this
      I will just create a shortcut for ME that starts in the directory
      my current project is in.

      One more question. I changed the window size with the command
      change-frame-depth "35" so when starting ME the bottom of the
      frame would not be covered by the Windows taskbar. Is there a
      command that specifies the position on the desktop that ME starts
      up on. Everytime I start ME it opens up at a new position on the
      desktop. I would like to be able to have it started centered on
      the desktop.

      Thanks,
      Brian Algeri
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
        bdasts wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am a new ME user, Win-XP version. I have a question on how to
        > set the default directory were find-file (C-x C-f) originates.
        > In GNU-Emacs the command is (setq default-directory "C:\\Work\\")
        > What is the equivelent ME command? If their is no command for this
        > I will just create a shortcut for ME that starts in the directory
        > my current project is in.

        ME will always open a file in the directory of the current
        buffer. Typically on Windows then the desktop shortcut will
        include the "-c" command line option which restores the
        last session so the current buffer will be the last buffer
        that you opened. The current directory is the directory
        of the current buffer.

        You can set the variable $home in your user setup file
        which is the default when you ask for "~". i.e.

        set-variable $home "c:/project/"

        C-x C-f ~ will expand to $home => c:/project/

        Your user setup file <user>.emf is in directory (folder in Windows speak):-

        c:/Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data/jasspa/

        > One more question. I changed the window size with the command
        > change-frame-depth "35" so when starting ME the bottom of the
        > frame would not be covered by the Windows taskbar. Is there a
        > command that specifies the position on the desktop that ME starts
        > up on. Everytime I start ME it opens up at a new position on the
        > desktop. I would like to be able to have it started centered on
        > the desktop.

        The position is supported under MS-Windows via the c:\winnt\me32.ini
        file using the "geometry" option i.e.

        ; MicroEmacs 8.2005.0219 configuration file.
        ; Identify the location of the MicroEmacs executable so that the
        ; Developer Studio `Add-In' can locate the executable
        [Location]
        exe=C:\Program Files\JASSPA\MicroEmacs\me32.exe
        [Defaults]
        geometry=82x80+370+10
        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
        ; See the Jasspa me32.ini documentation for details on this file.
        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

        This is a bit like X-Windows and the .Xdefaults file. There is no
        interactive command within the editor that sets this value.
        See M-x help -> Glossary and then search for "me32.ini"
        You can specify the frame size as well (in chars).

        The other way of changing the frame size is via the mouse. Adjust the
        window to the size that you require and then right click on the
        mode-line and select "Set Frame Size". This size is then used when the
        editor is started.

        FYI: Since you are used to GNU-Emacs then there is a GNU Emacs emulation
        in the user setup. M-x user-setup -> Emulation. This is new in
        the '05 RC1 so if there is stuff that you would like to see
        added then say so.