Re: [jasspa] Sigh.. Another question

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2005
      Jon, Steven,

      You guys are great! Thanks for the help. It works great, looks great, tastes great (just
      kidding) and is fast!

      Rick.
      --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:

      > rickowen@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Jon,
      > >
      > > Thanks to you my setup for a different user on my hp-ux system went
      > > quickly. One last issue remains and I'm sure it's simple but so far
      > > it has escaped me.
      > >
      > > I want *always* to insert spaces when the tab key is pressed. Also,
      > > for .pls and .sql I want to change the tab width to 3 characters, but
      > > thus far my fiddling with the hkpls file and the "tab" in user-setup
      > > hasn't yielded the results that I want. What are the correct
      > > configuration values, and where is the correct place to store those
      > > values?
      > >

      > Right this is new in 2005 and should make this easy once you know what
      > to do. What you need to run whilst viewing a .pls file is:-
      >
      > M-x buffer-setup
      >
      > Set the "Buffer modes" "tab" to on for insertion of spaces
      > rather than TABS.
      >
      > Set the "Indent Width" to 3 if you want you indent to be
      > 3. If you want to change the TAB width then change the
      > "Tab Width" in this dialog.
      >
      > If you make Current to see if it is OK and then Save. There after
      > all .pls files will have these attributes applied when loaded.
      > The settings are stored in the registry file. The settings do not affect
      > any other file type setting (i.e. C may have an indent of 4).
      >
      > FYI - the details, which you probably do not need, are:
      >
      > In the 2005 release then there are new variables for
      > indentation $buffer-indent-width and $indent-width.
      >
      > The TAB widths are now also buffer specific, see
      > $buffer-tab-width and $tab-width.
      >
      > The indent(2) command now supports a "t" indent
      > value.
      >
      > 1t == 1x$buffer-indent-width
      > 2t= 2 x $buffer-indent-width
      >
      > Jon.

      =====
      "I can never look upon the stars without wondering that the whole world does not become astronomers; and that men, endowed with sense and reason, should neglect a science that must convince them of their immortality." (Thomas Wright)