RE: [jasspa] Sigh.. Another question

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2005

      In user-setup General page enable the Tab option and make current,
      delete any buffers and reload them, pressing tab should now insert
      spaces. If not run buffer-setup and enable the Tab option in that
      dialog, reload file it really should be insert space now.

      > Also,for .pls and .sql I want to change the tab width to 3 characters,

      As of this release you can now do this with ease! Load in a .pls file,
      run command buffer-setup (Help -> Buffer Setup), in there you will see
      an a Tab Width and Indent Width settings. Tab width determines how many
      space to render a tab as, default is 8. Indent width defines how much to
      indent a line by when you press tab (i.e. how many spaces (as you use
      tab mode) to insert).

      I am not sure which of these 2 you need to change for the description
      above.

      Once you have made the appropriate change I would Save and reload the
      file (Current does get most things right but can't get everything right
      so if you are have problems use the Save button and reload (or even
      restart ME as well)

      You can now also use indent-setup to change the settings of an specific
      buffer.

      Steve

      > but thus far my fiddling with the hkpls file and the "tab" in
      user-setup
      > hasn't yielded the results that I want. What are the correct
      > configuration values, and where is the correct place to store those
      > values?
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > Rick.

    • Rick Owen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2005
        Jon, Steven,

        You guys are great! Thanks for the help. It works great, looks great, tastes great (just
        kidding) and is fast!

        Rick.
        --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:

        > rickowen@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Jon,
        > >
        > > Thanks to you my setup for a different user on my hp-ux system went
        > > quickly. One last issue remains and I'm sure it's simple but so far
        > > it has escaped me.
        > >
        > > I want *always* to insert spaces when the tab key is pressed. Also,
        > > for .pls and .sql I want to change the tab width to 3 characters, but
        > > thus far my fiddling with the hkpls file and the "tab" in user-setup
        > > hasn't yielded the results that I want. What are the correct
        > > configuration values, and where is the correct place to store those
        > > values?
        > >

        > Right this is new in 2005 and should make this easy once you know what
        > to do. What you need to run whilst viewing a .pls file is:-
        >
        > M-x buffer-setup
        >
        > Set the "Buffer modes" "tab" to on for insertion of spaces
        > rather than TABS.
        >
        > Set the "Indent Width" to 3 if you want you indent to be
        > 3. If you want to change the TAB width then change the
        > "Tab Width" in this dialog.
        >
        > If you make Current to see if it is OK and then Save. There after
        > all .pls files will have these attributes applied when loaded.
        > The settings are stored in the registry file. The settings do not affect
        > any other file type setting (i.e. C may have an indent of 4).
        >
        > FYI - the details, which you probably do not need, are:
        >
        > In the 2005 release then there are new variables for
        > indentation $buffer-indent-width and $indent-width.
        >
        > The TAB widths are now also buffer specific, see
        > $buffer-tab-width and $tab-width.
        >
        > The indent(2) command now supports a "t" indent
        > value.
        >
        > 1t == 1x$buffer-indent-width
        > 2t= 2 x $buffer-indent-width
        >
        > Jon.

        =====
        "I can never look upon the stars without wondering that the whole world does not become astronomers; and that men, endowed with sense and reason, should neglect a science that must convince them of their immortality." (Thomas Wright)