me on HP-UX

  • rickowen@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
      I have downloaded and tried to set up the 2005 RC on HP-UX. I have no
      rights on this machine other than to my own development directory, so
      I tried setting things up like the quick installation instructions show.

      When execute the me binary I get a message "failed to load file me" at
      the bottom of the screen and the menu doesn't appear at the top of the
      screen.

      I have tried a couple of different variations on the same theme
      without any success.

      My home directory is /home/train/rlo but I work out of
      /home/train/tprod3, so I created a directory /home/train/tprod3/jasspa
      and from that directory I untarred the metree file. That created a
      subdirectory jasspa, so I decided that I had one too many levels.

      I removed everything and untarred the metree file from
      /home/train/tprod3. That gave me /home/train/tprod3/jasspa, with the
      appropriate subdirs (i.e. macros, company, spelling, contrib,
      pixmaps). I unpacked the binary into the jasspa directory and chmoded
      it (u+x). When I did ./me I received the message "failed to load file
      me". So I did "cd macros" and executed the binary. This time it
      walked me through the installation process and I answered the
      question. However, when I left the macros directory and executed the
      binary I received the same message.

      What am I doing wrong? At the present my directory structure is:

      /home/train/tprod3/jasspa
      /home/train/tprod3/jasspa/macros
      /home/train/tprod3/jasspa/spelling
      /home/train/tprod3/jasspa/contrib
      /home/train/tprod3/jasspa/company

      here are the contents of my jasspa directory:

      gabriel: /home/train/tprod3/jasspa ll
      total 1170
      drwxr-xr-x 2 rlo train 96 Feb 21 06:00 company
      drwxr-xr-x 2 rlo train 1024 Feb 21 06:00 contrib
      drwxr-xr-x 2 rlo train 7168 Feb 21 06:00 macros
      -rwxr----- 1 rlo train 581632 Feb 21 05:58 me
      drwxr-xr-x 2 rlo train 1024 Feb 21 06:00 pixmaps
      -rw-r--r-- 1 rlo train 1763 Feb 21 06:30 rlo.emf
      -rw-r--r-- 1 rlo train 2268 Feb 21 06:32 rlo.erf
      -rw-r--r-- 1 rlo train 2268 Feb 21 06:32 rlo.erf~
      drwxr-xr-x 2 rlo train 96 Feb 21 06:00 spelling

      Here are my environment variables:
      MEPATH=/home/train/tprod3/jasspa
      MENAME=rlo
      MEINSTALLPATH=/home/train/tprod3/jasspa

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Rick.
    • Rick Owen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
        Jon, thanks for the quick reply. I did as you suggested and now have me working correctly. The
        one last piece one which I need help is getting syntax coloring going. I have edit me.emf and
        commented out the line

        ;add-file-hook ".sql" fhook-sql

        and modfied the .pls line to be:

        add-file-hook ".pls .sql" fhook-pls

        but I can't remember what I need to do to get syntax coloring going. I apologize for asking
        rather than reading the help, etc. but have no more time for reading the manual right now. I've
        got a ton of work to do. My telnet software is configured as VT220 with ANSI color enabled.

        Also, I am using telnet software to connect to my host and I can't recall what key sequence I use
        to activate the menu.

        Thanks,
        Rick.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
          Rick Owen wrote:
          > Jon, thanks for the quick reply. I did as you suggested and now have me working correctly. The
          > one last piece one which I need help is getting syntax coloring going. I have edit me.emf and
          > commented out the line
          >
          > ;add-file-hook ".sql" fhook-sql
          >

          > and modfied the .pls line to be:
          >
          > add-file-hook ".pls .sql" fhook-pls

          OK, best not to edit "me.emf". Better to do this in your rlo.emf
          i.e.

          add-file-hook ".pls .sql" fhook-pls

          Because your rlo.emf is executed after me.emf then the correct hooks
          will be applied as you want them.

          > but I can't remember what I need to do to get syntax coloring going. I apologize for asking
          > rather than reading the help, etc. but have no more time for reading the manual right now. I've
          > got a ton of work to do. My telnet software is configured as VT220 with ANSI color enabled.

          No problem:-

          M-x user-setup (or esc-x user-setup)

          TAB until on "start-up" tab

          Cursor Left to "platform" tab

          Then TAB through the fields or use the hot keys
          to "Termcap color" - enable this field.

          You may want to change your color scheme
          to "Termcap (black)"

          TAB to "Current" at bottom - this will change to current settings.
          when you are happy with it then "Save" which will save the settings.

          > Also, I am using telnet software to connect to my host and I can't recall what key sequence I use
          > to activate the menu.

          Use "M-x user-setup" I cannot recall the key sequence either !

          Jon.
        • Rick Owen
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
            Hi Jon,

            Ah... back to normal. Colors look great - syntax highlighting makes life good again. Thanks for
            your help and for a nice development tool.

            Rick.
            --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:

            > Rick Owen wrote:
            > > Jon, thanks for the quick reply. I did as you suggested and now have me working correctly.
            > The
            > > one last piece one which I need help is getting syntax coloring going. I have edit me.emf and
            > > commented out the line
            > >
            > > ;add-file-hook ".sql" fhook-sql
            >

            > > and modfied the .pls line to be:
            > >
            > > add-file-hook ".pls .sql" fhook-pls
            >

            > OK, best not to edit "me.emf". Better to do this in your rlo.emf
            > i.e.
            >
            > add-file-hook ".pls .sql" fhook-pls
            >
            > Because your rlo.emf is executed after me.emf then the correct hooks
            > will be applied as you want them.
            >

            > > but I can't remember what I need to do to get syntax coloring going. I apologize for asking
            > > rather than reading the help, etc. but have no more time for reading the manual right now.
            > I've
            > > got a ton of work to do. My telnet software is configured as VT220 with ANSI color enabled.
            >
            > No problem:-
            >
            > M-x user-setup (or esc-x user-setup)
            >
            > TAB until on "start-up" tab
            >
            > Cursor Left to "platform" tab
            >
            > Then TAB through the fields or use the hot keys
            > to "Termcap color" - enable this field.
            >
            > You may want to change your color scheme
            > to "Termcap (black)"
            >
            > TAB to "Current" at bottom - this will change to current settings.
            > when you are happy with it then "Save" which will save the settings.
            >

            > > Also, I am using telnet software to connect to my host and I can't recall what key sequence I
            > use
            > > to activate the menu.
            >
            > Use "M-x user-setup" I cannot recall the key sequence either !
            >
            > Jon.

            =====
            "I can never look upon the stars without wondering that the whole world does not become astronomers; and that men, endowed with sense and reason, should neglect a science that must convince them of their immortality." (Thomas Wright)
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
              Rick Owen wrote:
              > Jon, thanks for the quick reply. I did as you suggested and now have me working correctly.

              Thanks for your comments Rick.

              I've added some install instructions on the JASSPA site with respect to the installation for
              each of the distributions. I will also review the install notes which I will back up with
              some examples.

              Jon.
            • Rick Owen
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
                Jon,

                That will be really helpful. I edit lots of files on HP-UX, but my workstation is a Windows XP
                machine, so other than grep, awk, perl, and a few other *nix commands I really don't do much
                interaction with the OS. Help and examples will be great because I suspect there are others users
                much like me.

                Rick.

                =====