RE: [jasspa] MicroEmacs 2005 -RC1. Not working under windows NT 4.0.

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
      This is in deed the problem and I do not currently have a good solution
      (probably isn't one and will have to be yet another compile option).

      If you have a compiler download the source and make the following minor
      change in spawn.c, this will disable the use of this function:

      *** spawn.c.~0~ Fri Feb 11 20:07:44 2005
      --- spawn.c Mon Feb 21 08:14:10 2005
      ***************
      *** 353,359 ****
      return ipipe->childWnd ;
      }

      ! #ifdef _WIN32s

      #define ipipeKillProcessTree(ppid) meFALSE

      --- 353,359 ----
      return ipipe->childWnd ;
      }

      ! #ifdef _WIN32

      #define ipipeKillProcessTree(ppid) meFALSE

      Alternatively, as this is a very useful fix up grade to Win2K! I found
      that killing a compile process in the old version did not kill the
      compile process, only the top level cmd shell, compile carried on). This
      fixes that problem by looking for and killing all child processes
      (similar to pstools' Kill Process Tree in Process Explorer).

      Steve

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
          Important enough - I'm changing ME to dynamically load this function at
          runtime; this means that the same ME binary will run on all win32 boxes
          and on NT v4 the loading of the Snapshot function will fail so it can't
          do the proc tree kill but that's all.

          I think I will do the same for the socket functions (URL support) which
          means that the -u build option will not be required, ME will be able to
          determine whether the machine has URL support at runtime - much better!

          This should be in for RC2,

          Steve

          Thanks, this allow me32 to run under winnt.
          Indeed the link I gave only propose to use a specific solution for
          NT4.0.

          I'm not sure how NT4.0 is important though.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
              Pierre Gaston wrote:
              > me fails when starting on windows NT 4.0 --> CreateToolhelp32Snapshot()
              > can not be located.

              The Windows package on http://www.jasspa.com has been patched with a fix for the load
              problems under NT4.0. The same new image also includes URL support by default, the separate
              'meuw' files are now no longer required. The "ne" images were unaffected by these problems.