MicroEmacs 2005 - Release Candidate 1 Published.

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
      The first snapshot of the up and coming 2005 release of MicroEmacs is now available for
      download from http://www.jasspa.com

      The change.log file in the 2005 download area details the changes that have been made from
      the last release.

      If you experience any problems then please let us know. If you experience problems on
      and extensions before reporting any problem. Should you experience problems on loading the
      new release in your existing environment then please disable your private macros and
      extensions before reporting any problems.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
        This is in deed the problem and I do not currently have a good solution
        (probably isn't one and will have to be yet another compile option).

        If you have a compiler download the source and make the following minor
        change in spawn.c, this will disable the use of this function:

        *** spawn.c.~0~ Fri Feb 11 20:07:44 2005
        --- spawn.c Mon Feb 21 08:14:10 2005
        ***************
        *** 353,359 ****
        return ipipe->childWnd ;
        }

        ! #ifdef _WIN32s

        #define ipipeKillProcessTree(ppid) meFALSE

        --- 353,359 ----
        return ipipe->childWnd ;
        }

        ! #ifdef _WIN32

        #define ipipeKillProcessTree(ppid) meFALSE

        Alternatively, as this is a very useful fix up grade to Win2K! I found
        that killing a compile process in the old version did not kill the
        compile process, only the top level cmd shell, compile carried on). This
        fixes that problem by looking for and killing all child processes
        (similar to pstools' Kill Process Tree in Process Explorer).

        Steve

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
            Important enough - I'm changing ME to dynamically load this function at
            runtime; this means that the same ME binary will run on all win32 boxes
            and on NT v4 the loading of the Snapshot function will fail so it can't
            do the proc tree kill but that's all.

            I think I will do the same for the socket functions (URL support) which
            means that the -u build option will not be required, ME will be able to
            determine whether the machine has URL support at runtime - much better!

            This should be in for RC2,

            Steve

            Thanks, this allow me32 to run under winnt.
            Indeed the link I gave only propose to use a specific solution for
            NT4.0.

            I'm not sure how NT4.0 is important though.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
                Pierre Gaston wrote:
                > me fails when starting on windows NT 4.0 --> CreateToolhelp32Snapshot()
                > can not be located.

                The Windows package on http://www.jasspa.com has been patched with a fix for the load
                problems under NT4.0. The same new image also includes URL support by default, the separate
                'meuw' files are now no longer required. The "ne" images were unaffected by these problems.