Re: [jasspa] Font on X

  • Salman Khilji
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
      --- Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:

      > Are you sure that you do not need to do define
      > your downloaded font to X ? I do not use Linux
      > by choice (too volatile), under Solaris then

      Sometimes, its crap like this that make me feel like
      dumping Linux and using some other UNIX.

      I am following instructions from:
      http://gobase.org/dict/JIS/helponXfonts.html

      I am using the pcf format fonts. It works, but when I
      restart my computer, the changes that I make are
      totally lost! I remember that SuSE 8.0 Pro used to do
      this on me and after I coudl not find a solution to
      the problem, I reformatted my drive and tried another
      distro.

      basically I created a folder

      /usr/share/fonts/proggyfonts

      and then:

      xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/proggyfonts
      xset fp rehash

      as root.

      To try the TTF fonts, I did ttmkfdir. ttmkfdir, now,
      does not output to stdout, so you cannot do the '>'
      thingy. Instead, you must do -o <filename>. I did
      this and xfontsel could see the font from proggy font
      website. However, ttmkfdir must have screwed up.
      XFontSel could not display the font correctly. And
      neither could ME.

      Maybe teh true-type fonts from the proggy site are
      simply not compatible with Linux.

      Salman

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Salman Khilji
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
        Okay...so I finally confirmed that Linux cannot handle
        TTF fonts from the proggy site (Yes, I know its
        Xorg---not Linux---that cannot handle them).

        I basically modified the .spec file from msttcorefonts
        and built myself an RPM using the EXACT same procedure
        as the msttcorefonts people d---they call chkfontpath
        and fc-cache at appropriate times. The resulting RPM
        installs and registers the fonts, but xfontsel kinda
        'freezes' and cannot display the font.

        I am talking about the Crisp.ttf font. Not sure which
        list I should report this bug to---probably somewhere
        on x.org

        Salman

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Salman Khilji
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
          Never mind. In XFontSel, one must remember to select
          iso8859 in the "registry" field for these fonts. If
          left to '*', it causes problems.

          After all this trouble, I finally concluded that
          misc-fixed at 14 points on a 1280x1024 was more
          legible than the proggy font (or atleast thats what I
          prefer). The Crisp font was good as well, but a
          little too big to display all 80 columns when the
          viewed in a vertically split maximized ME window.

          Salman

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo