Re: [jasspa] MinGW Makefile

  • Deak, Ferenc
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
      > Hi Patrick,
      >
      > I've discovered a flaw in your reasoning:
      > BTW: I'm a many year GnuEmacs user, but jasspa interest me for
      > many reasons - size being the first.
      > and
      > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler, eventually
      > audio and video editing, and 3d modeling and simulation etc.
      >
      > If you like the size of ME, it helps to focus on text editing only ;=)

      I use me and vim paralel for editing. Me is really fast, and I like it very
      much, but if I can comment this thread, personally I also would like to see
      a more "standard" or more "feature-full" or "less-weird" but small interpreter
      in Jasspa. For example newlisp (www.newlisp.org), or Lua (www.lua.org)
      binaries are all under 100K... (yes I know that none of them are really
      standard, but they are widely used...)

      I think using me's lisp is a little pain compared to a real lisp. But I
      understand that converting all macros is a huge work...

      Ferenc Deak
    • Patrick Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
        Size was the wrong choice of words on my part.

        While size is of some importance to me, complexity is what I fear most.

        My true interest is the feature/complexity ratio. Maximizing features while minimizing complexity.

        My "request for input" was concerning a project which will be very separate from ME.

        Begining with a small editor such as ME or http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemacs or http://biew.sf.net or http://hte.sf.net

        The vision is to pull the OS back through the editor so you never need to leave your favorite environment. Use a compiled language (set up as JIT) and cache the compiled images to achieve high performance. What I'm suggesting is certainly not new*. Just another shot at it.

        PS: Sorry if I'm causing grief here. Just ignore me if so.

        * Programming Languages as Operating Systems (or, Revenge of the Son of the Lisp Machine) Matthew Flatt and Robert Bruce Findler and Shriram Krishnamurthi and Matthias Felleisen. http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/icfp99-ffkf.pdf

        I've discovered a flaw in your reasoning:
        BTW: I'm a many year GnuEmacs user, but jasspa interest me for
        many reasons - size being the first.
        and
        Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler, eventually
        audio and video editing, and 3d modeling and simulation etc.

        If you like the size of ME, it helps to focus on text editing only ;=)

        Just my 5c

        Paul

        Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
        Verstrekking aan en gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan.
        Falcon Leven N.V. sluit iedere aansprakelijkheid uit die
        voortvloeit uit elektronische verzending.
        This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s),
        and may not be passed on to, or made available for use
        by any person other than the addressee(s).
        Falcon Leven N.V. rules out any and every liability
        resulting from any electronic transmission.