RE: [jasspa] MinGW Makefile

  • Patrick Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
      > > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler,
      >
      > If you want to compile from within the program, maybe start by defining
      > some compilers in the "Tools" section of setup. Also look at the
      > command "compile".

      I mean I'll be replacing eval.c with an interpreter that allows lisp to control the editor.

      > > eventually audio
      > > and video editing, and 3d modeling and simulation etc. anyone else
      > > doing this, (maybe some of it is already done).
      >
      > These are all text editors and not really graphically-oriented, so you
      > might have a bit of a task there.

      Yes, this is not an overnight job.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2004
        Patrick,

        >> > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler,
        >>
        >> If you want to compile from within the program, maybe start by defining
        >> some compilers in the "Tools" section of setup. Also look at the
        >> command "compile".
        >>

        > I mean I'll be replacing eval.c with an interpreter that allows lisp to control the editor.

        Its not just eval.c but also exec.c (which contains the macro processing) and
        if you move ME away from its macro language then you will also have to
        migrate/replace all the macro files (*.emf) from me.emf onwards and ME without
        macros is a very sparse editor as many of the main features, such as
        hilighting, indentation, spelling etc, rely on the macro files to configure
        them. Basically you are creating a monumental task for yourself which would
        leave you with an editor that you will not be able to patch with future
        releases of ME etc.

        I'm not sure what you are trying to do with a lisp/python interpreter but
        replacing the macro kernel is probably not the best way of achieving it. As an
        alternative I suggest you also consider:

        - Start from GNU Emacs, at least it has a lisp kernel.

        - Starting with a lisp kernel (such as GNU Emacs) and bolt on the other
        bits from ME, this may be quicker as the macro language is such an
        integral part of ME.

        - Create a new ME 'eval-lisp' command which takes a string of lisp and
        interprets via a built in interpreter, this should have little impact on
        ME, allowing you to up-grade and use ME's emf files, while still having
        access to a lisp interpreter; you could also have a eval-python etc.

        - Create a new eval-lisp command that uses an external lisp interpreter to
        evaluate the given string. (simple macro)

        - Learn ME macro code and port your existing code to it.

        If I can help you further with this decision please drop me an email,

        Steve

      • p.de.reus@falconleven.nl
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004

          Hi Patrick,

          I've discovered a flaw in your reasoning:
                  BTW: I'm a many year GnuEmacs user, but jasspa interest me for many reasons - size being the first.
          and

                  Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler, eventually audio and video editing, and 3d modeling and         simulation etc.

          If you like the size of ME, it helps to focus on text editing only ;=)

          Just my 5c

          Paul

          ***********************DISCLAIMER***********************
          Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
          Verstrekking aan en gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan.
          Falcon Leven N.V. sluit iedere aansprakelijkheid uit die
          voortvloeit uit elektronische verzending.
          This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s),
          and may not be passed on to, or made available for use
          by any person other than the addressee(s).
          Falcon Leven N.V. rules out any and every liability
          resulting from any electronic transmission.
        • Deak, Ferenc
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
            > Hi Patrick,
            >
            > I've discovered a flaw in your reasoning:
            > BTW: I'm a many year GnuEmacs user, but jasspa interest me for
            > many reasons - size being the first.
            > and
            > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler, eventually
            > audio and video editing, and 3d modeling and simulation etc.
            >
            > If you like the size of ME, it helps to focus on text editing only ;=)

            I use me and vim paralel for editing. Me is really fast, and I like it very
            much, but if I can comment this thread, personally I also would like to see
            a more "standard" or more "feature-full" or "less-weird" but small interpreter
            in Jasspa. For example newlisp (www.newlisp.org), or Lua (www.lua.org)
            binaries are all under 100K... (yes I know that none of them are really
            standard, but they are widely used...)

            I think using me's lisp is a little pain compared to a real lisp. But I
            understand that converting all macros is a huge work...

            Ferenc Deak
          • Patrick Anderson
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
              Size was the wrong choice of words on my part.

              While size is of some importance to me, complexity is what I fear most.

              My true interest is the feature/complexity ratio. Maximizing features while minimizing complexity.

              My "request for input" was concerning a project which will be very separate from ME.

              Begining with a small editor such as ME or http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemacs or http://biew.sf.net or http://hte.sf.net

              The vision is to pull the OS back through the editor so you never need to leave your favorite environment. Use a compiled language (set up as JIT) and cache the compiled images to achieve high performance. What I'm suggesting is certainly not new*. Just another shot at it.

              PS: Sorry if I'm causing grief here. Just ignore me if so.

              * Programming Languages as Operating Systems (or, Revenge of the Son of the Lisp Machine) Matthew Flatt and Robert Bruce Findler and Shriram Krishnamurthi and Matthias Felleisen. http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/icfp99-ffkf.pdf