Re: [jasspa] MinGW Makefile

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
      > here's a makefile I use to build with http://www.mingw.org

      Nice

      > BTW: I'm a many year GnuEmacs user, but jasspa interest me for many
      > reasons - size being the first.

      It does just about everything I want an editor to do... and is open
      source and cross platform! And the authors are nice guys.

      > I've been trying to review many small editors (biew, bvi, ht,
      > hexcurse, hexdiff, hexedit, hexplorer, hiew, joe, katy, le, led,
      > mined, ,qemacs, shed, vche, vile, yudit, zed, zeth zile)

      Forget anything with "vi" in the name.

      > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler,

      If you want to compile from within the program, maybe start by defining
      some compilers in the "Tools" section of setup. Also look at the
      command "compile".

      > eventually audio
      > and video editing, and 3d modeling and simulation etc. anyone else
      > doing this, (maybe some of it is already done).

      These are all text editors and not really graphically-oriented, so you
      might have a bit of a task there.

      --
      Thomas Hundt
    • Patrick Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
        > > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler,
        >
        > If you want to compile from within the program, maybe start by defining
        > some compilers in the "Tools" section of setup. Also look at the
        > command "compile".

        I mean I'll be replacing eval.c with an interpreter that allows lisp to control the editor.

        > > eventually audio
        > > and video editing, and 3d modeling and simulation etc. anyone else
        > > doing this, (maybe some of it is already done).
        >
        > These are all text editors and not really graphically-oriented, so you
        > might have a bit of a task there.

        Yes, this is not an overnight job.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2004
          Patrick,

          >> > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler,
          >>
          >> If you want to compile from within the program, maybe start by defining
          >> some compilers in the "Tools" section of setup. Also look at the
          >> command "compile".
          >>

          > I mean I'll be replacing eval.c with an interpreter that allows lisp to control the editor.

          Its not just eval.c but also exec.c (which contains the macro processing) and
          if you move ME away from its macro language then you will also have to
          migrate/replace all the macro files (*.emf) from me.emf onwards and ME without
          macros is a very sparse editor as many of the main features, such as
          hilighting, indentation, spelling etc, rely on the macro files to configure
          them. Basically you are creating a monumental task for yourself which would
          leave you with an editor that you will not be able to patch with future
          releases of ME etc.

          I'm not sure what you are trying to do with a lisp/python interpreter but
          replacing the macro kernel is probably not the best way of achieving it. As an
          alternative I suggest you also consider:

          - Start from GNU Emacs, at least it has a lisp kernel.

          - Starting with a lisp kernel (such as GNU Emacs) and bolt on the other
          bits from ME, this may be quicker as the macro language is such an
          integral part of ME.

          - Create a new ME 'eval-lisp' command which takes a string of lisp and
          interprets via a built in interpreter, this should have little impact on
          ME, allowing you to up-grade and use ME's emf files, while still having
          access to a lisp interpreter; you could also have a eval-python etc.

          - Create a new eval-lisp command that uses an external lisp interpreter to
          evaluate the given string. (simple macro)

          - Learn ME macro code and port your existing code to it.

          If I can help you further with this decision please drop me an email,

          Steve

        • p.de.reus@falconleven.nl
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004

            Hi Patrick,

            I've discovered a flaw in your reasoning:
                    BTW: I'm a many year GnuEmacs user, but jasspa interest me for many reasons - size being the first.
            and

                    Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler, eventually audio and video editing, and 3d modeling and         simulation etc.

            If you like the size of ME, it helps to focus on text editing only ;=)

            Just my 5c

            Paul

            ***********************DISCLAIMER***********************
            Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
            Verstrekking aan en gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan.
            Falcon Leven N.V. sluit iedere aansprakelijkheid uit die
            voortvloeit uit elektronische verzending.
            This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s),
            and may not be passed on to, or made available for use
            by any person other than the addressee(s).
            Falcon Leven N.V. rules out any and every liability
            resulting from any electronic transmission.
          • Deak, Ferenc
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
              > Hi Patrick,
              >
              > I've discovered a flaw in your reasoning:
              > BTW: I'm a many year GnuEmacs user, but jasspa interest me for
              > many reasons - size being the first.
              > and
              > Hoping to integrate a lisp or python jit compiler, eventually
              > audio and video editing, and 3d modeling and simulation etc.
              >
              > If you like the size of ME, it helps to focus on text editing only ;=)

              I use me and vim paralel for editing. Me is really fast, and I like it very
              much, but if I can comment this thread, personally I also would like to see
              a more "standard" or more "feature-full" or "less-weird" but small interpreter
              in Jasspa. For example newlisp (www.newlisp.org), or Lua (www.lua.org)
              binaries are all under 100K... (yes I know that none of them are really
              standard, but they are widely used...)

              I think using me's lisp is a little pain compared to a real lisp. But I
              understand that converting all macros is a huge work...

              Ferenc Deak
            • Patrick Anderson
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
                Size was the wrong choice of words on my part.

                While size is of some importance to me, complexity is what I fear most.

                My true interest is the feature/complexity ratio. Maximizing features while minimizing complexity.

                My "request for input" was concerning a project which will be very separate from ME.

                Begining with a small editor such as ME or http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemacs or http://biew.sf.net or http://hte.sf.net

                The vision is to pull the OS back through the editor so you never need to leave your favorite environment. Use a compiled language (set up as JIT) and cache the compiled images to achieve high performance. What I'm suggesting is certainly not new*. Just another shot at it.

                PS: Sorry if I'm causing grief here. Just ignore me if so.

                * Programming Languages as Operating Systems (or, Revenge of the Son of the Lisp Machine) Matthew Flatt and Robert Bruce Findler and Shriram Krishnamurthi and Matthias Felleisen. http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/icfp99-ffkf.pdf