Running on Sun box against Cygwin X -- Clipboard problems

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11 5:18 PM
      At work, I'm running ME on a Sun box, Xdisplaying back to a Win2k PC
      which has I think the latest Cygwin X server installed.

      And a lot of the time I can't copy stuff from Unix ME to the clipboard.

      I see these errors in the Cygwin window:

      winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify - XConvertSelection () failed
      for CompoundText, aborting: 1
      winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify - XConvertSelection () failed
      for UTF8String, aborting: 1

      I opened the clipboard Windows program and observe it to see if stuff
      actually gets copied or not.

      I can double click on something iin a Putty window (this is a Win app
      that more or less emulates an xterm, but does not use X) and it will be
      copied to the clipboard. I can select text in a real xterm; a DOS
      window; a Win ME window; Mozilla while I'm writing this e-mail, or most
      anything else, and and it will be copied to the clipboard.

      The FIRST time I select some text in ME it gets copied to the clipboard,
      but SUCCESSIVE times, it does not. (But I get the above errors, one of
      each, each time. Including the first, when it does successfully copy!
      So they might be a red herring.) If I go selecting text from some other
      app (which then appears in the clipboard) and then go back to ME, I can
      again select text ONCE and have it show up in the clipboard.

      I copy stuff back and forth all the time and so, needless to say, this
      is quite annoying. Appreciate any pointers with this.

      -Tom Hundt
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12 3:05 AM
        Thomas Hundt wrote:

        > At work, I'm running ME on a Sun box, Xdisplaying back to a Win2k PC
        > which has I think the latest Cygwin X server installed.
        >
        > And a lot of the time I can't copy stuff from Unix ME to the clipboard.
        >
        > I see these errors in the Cygwin window:
        >
        > winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify - XConvertSelection () failed
        > for CompoundText, aborting: 1
        > winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify - XConvertSelection () failed
        > for UTF8String, aborting: 1
        >
        > I opened the clipboard Windows program and observe it to see if stuff
        > actually gets copied or not.
        >
        > I can double click on something iin a Putty window (this is a Win app
        > that more or less emulates an xterm, but does not use X) and it will be
        > copied to the clipboard. I can select text in a real xterm; a DOS
        > window; a Win ME window; Mozilla while I'm writing this e-mail, or most
        > anything else, and and it will be copied to the clipboard.
        >
        > The FIRST time I select some text in ME it gets copied to the clipboard,
        > but SUCCESSIVE times, it does not. (But I get the above errors, one of
        > each, each time. Including the first, when it does successfully copy!
        > So they might be a red herring.) If I go selecting text from some other
        > app (which then appears in the clipboard) and then go back to ME, I can
        > again select text ONCE and have it show up in the clipboard.
        >
        > I copy stuff back and forth all the time and so, needless to say, this
        > is quite annoying. Appreciate any pointers with this.
        >
        > -Tom Hundt

        Not tried with Cygwin X I usually use Exceed 10. Never
        seen a problem with this with respect to cut and paste.
        Exceed 9 was also OK (although there were some problems
        with the title bar not being updated in Exceed 9 which
        appear to be fixed in 10).