*compile* buffer bug

  • Salman Khilji
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2004
      The feature of clicking an error message and jumping
      quickly to the error in source files does not work
      under certain circumstances.

      I am using a tool named makepp (I don't like make).
      In a multi-directory project at the top level, I typed
      'makepp'. makepp, just like 'make' displays message
      like "Entering directory '/home/....'". When a
      compilation error occurs, the path output by gcc is
      relative to that directory that the make tool outputs.
      When I double click the error message, ME does not
      find the file and think that I need to create a new
      file. This is because ME does not look for statements
      like "Entering directory...". I know XEmacs is
      smarter in this respect.

      I am attaching a file which is from the *compile*
      buffer. If I try to jump to the error in source, ME
      open a new blank C file instead.

      I have seen this problem not only with my makepp based
      projects, but also autoconf/automake based projects
      which used standard make as well. As far as I can
      remember, GNU make also displays the exact same
      message. i.e "Entering directory ...."

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com