[jasspa] Re: Can't read 991118 er tar.gz files

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 1999
      OK,

      I'm having problems myself from NT. If you download using
      IE5 then it seems to come down in binary. If you download
      using Netscape then it seems to come down in ASCII and
      it breaks the tar.gz file by convering "0x0A" to "0x0A 0x0D".
      I guess if you download from a UNIX box it will be OK.

      Now I have spent an hour trying to fix this and I am at a loss.
      I've tried "...;type=i" extensions. I've tried "ftp:" prefixes
      etc. Why it converts I do not know. I hate using IE5, but it smacks
      of a Microsoft problem somewhere because UNIX certainly does not
      do a OA0D conversion.

      Anybody else got any suggestions ??

      "Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:

      > My gzip -d *tar.gz dosn't work on win NT gzip.exe gnu
      >
      > gzip: hh1.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

      > Looking for the latest consumer electronic gadgets or computer
      > equipment? eBay has thousands of audio equipment, computer
      > games & accessories. You never know what you might find at eBay!
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1142

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=jasspa&m=1
    • Detlef Groth
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 23, 1999
        The new version is really nice, thanks to Steven for
        the help-menu with contents, index and search tabs. I
        t is really great. However 'esc-?' and 'A-h ?' are
        reponding different. Should this be ?

        The crossword Is also still not working on my machines
        (Win98 or WinNT 4.0). By the way there is still no
        chess here ...

        I was downloading the tar.gz.-file with IE 4.0 on an
        NT-workstation and it was okay. For your use I
        converted the tar.gz-file into a zip-file, which is
        available for you for seven days at the adress below

        Detlef

        Shared files are available for seven(7) days. Click
        the link below:
        http://www.xdrive.com/share/pgvsyyQT4TUSNBh2hbKy0zR6ND3LVOZk
        --- Jon Green <jon@...>
        schrieb:
        > OK,
        >
        > I'm having problems myself from NT. If you download
        > using
        > IE5 then it seems to come down in binary. If you
        > download
        > using Netscape then it seems to come down in ASCII
        > and
        > it breaks the tar.gz file by convering "0x0A" to
        > "0x0A 0x0D".
        > I guess if you download from a UNIX box it will be
        > OK.
        >
        > Now I have spent an hour trying to fix this and I
        > am at a loss.
        > I've tried "...;type=i" extensions. I've tried
        > "ftp:" prefixes
        > etc. Why it converts I do not know. I hate using
        > IE5, but it smacks
        > of a Microsoft problem somewhere because UNIX
        > certainly does not
        > do a OA0D conversion.
        >
        > Anybody else got any suggestions ??

      • Jonathan Naughton-Green
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 1999
          For temporary upload space there is 20MB of Web space
          at E-Groups. I think that anybody is allowed to upload
          information into the "Vault". Simply go to the Jasspa
          page, select vault and then upload.

          I've not tried it myself yet - but this might be useful
          to exchange large files and information.

          Detlef Groth wrote:

          > The new version is really nice, thanks to Steven for
          > the help-menu with contents, index and search tabs. I
          > t is really great. However 'esc-?' and 'A-h ?' are
          > reponding different. Should this be ?
          >
          > The crossword Is also still not working on my machines
          > (Win98 or WinNT 4.0). By the way there is still no
          > chess here ...
          >
          > I was downloading the tar.gz.-file with IE 4.0 on an
          > NT-workstation and it was okay. For your use I
          > converted the tar.gz-file into a zip-file, which is
          > available for you for seven days at the adress below
          >
          > Detlef
          >
          > Shared files are available for seven(7) days. Click
          > the link below:
          > http://www.xdrive.com/share/pgvsyyQT4TUSNBh2hbKy0zR6ND3LVOZk
          > --- Jon Green <jon@...>
          > schrieb:
          > > OK,
          > >
          > > I'm having problems myself from NT. If you download
          > > using
          > > IE5 then it seems to come down in binary. If you
          > > download
          > > using Netscape then it seems to come down in ASCII
          > > and
          > > it breaks the tar.gz file by convering "0x0A" to
          > > "0x0A 0x0D".
          > > I guess if you download from a UNIX box it will be
          > > OK.
          > >
          > > Now I have spent an hour trying to fix this and I
          > > am at a loss.
          > > I've tried "...;type=i" extensions. I've tried
          > > "ftp:" prefixes
          > > etc. Why it converts I do not know. I hate using
          > > IE5, but it smacks
          > > of a Microsoft problem somewhere because UNIX
          > > certainly does not
          > > do a OA0D conversion.
          > >
          > > Anybody else got any suggestions ??
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Jon.

          > In the market for computer hardware or software? Compare prices on
          > more that 100,000 products at CNET.com. Get all the latest news,
          > reviews and prices! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1611

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=jasspa&m=1

          Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

          SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
          The Communication Centre
          South Street
          Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
          MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
          TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
          England Email (home): jon@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 1999
            Just to let people know as an FYI, there are some helper utilities that I find helpful, I successfully grabbed and installed the latest ME files. Probably, everything's been fixed up by now and anybody can do it :-)

            I used 'GetRight' to download stuff from the Geocities page to NT4. (It lurks and is activated by Netscape when it tries to download something.) Didn't do anything special, just clicked on the files, and away it went.

            I used 'CuteFTP' to move the Unix binary and macros to the Solaris box here. Again, nothing special going on. I did tell it that .emf files are text for when I do updates (but did not use that this time around -- I uploaded the entire .tar.gz collection as such).

            Everything was readable (pkunzip, gunzip, tar) and runs. (I've only been using it for five minutes, but after I plopped my thundt.emf and .erf and my*.emf into the macros directory, it all runs just like before.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 1999
              [Detlef Groth 10:00 AM 11/23/99 +0100]
              |The new version is really nice, thanks to Steven for
              |the help-menu with contents, index and search tabs. I
              |t is really great.

              All right!!! A help index!!! Woo-hoo!!! :-)

              This is a major plus.

              Things to add: I would expect PgUp/PgDn to scroll the text within the tabs. (We can already move the box using Alt-arrows; how about making PgUp/PgDn available?) Also there is no scrollbar, so it cannot be scrolled using the mouse. (Or have I got something configured wrongly?)