Re: [jasspa] CUA support (2nd cut) & GNU Emacs emulation request

  • Bob Paddock
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
      On Tuesday 19 October 2004 05:44 pm, Steven Phillips wrote:

      > However having not used Emacs for years I am no longer in a position to
      > know what the main annoyances of using ME are from an Emacs users point of
      > view.

      Major one is that Control-Open-Bracket (^[) is not the same as Meta (<ESC>).

      Ctrl-Home go to top of current file.

      Ctrl-End go to bottom of current file.

      ESC-% Replace.

      --
            http://www.softwaresafety.net/
       http://www.unusualresearch.com/ http://www.bpaddock.com/
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
        Oh it just slays me that in GNU, Home and End go to the top and bottom
        of the file. That's different from EVERY other windows app.

        -Th

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
          Somebody asked for some key bindings. Here is my current set. Some of
          the unbindings, in particular, may be obsolete by now.

          Don't ask me why I did half of these. There must've been a good reason
          at the time! :-) Some of them are GNU-ish, a lot are my own crazy
          adaptations, for speed and convenience. (E.g., MDI ones -- this is a
          Windows thing.)

          Enjoy

          ;-----
          ; Key bindings (use !force to prevent err if already unbound)
          ;-----
          !force global-bind-key beginning-of-line "home"
          !force global-bind-key end-of-line "end"
          !force global-bind-key beginning-of-buffer "C-home"
          !force global-bind-key end-of-buffer "C-end"
          !force global-bind-key help "f1"
          !force global-bind-key backward-kill-word "S-backspace"
          !force global-bind-key goto-matching-fence "f2"
          !force 1 global-bind-key scroll-up "f5"
          !force 1 global-bind-key scroll-down "f6"
          !force 65536 global-bind-key osd "f1" ; access menu bar
          ;; !force global-bind-key file-browser "f9" ; usually F10
          ;;!force 1 global-bind-key scroll-down "C-c"
          ;;!force 1 global-bind-key scroll-up "A-C"
          !force global-bind-key scroll-up "A-V"
          !force global-bind-key isearch-backward "C-r"
          !force global-bind-key isearch-forward "C-s"
          !force global-bind-key isearch-forward "C-]" ; works if ^S
          doesn't
          !force global-bind-key undo "C-z"
          !force global-bind-key kill-line "C-k"

          !force 10 global-bind-key scroll-left "A-left" ; Win
          !force 10 global-bind-key scroll-right "A-right"
          !force 10 global-bind-key scroll-left "esc left" ; Unix
          !force 10 global-bind-key scroll-right "esc right"
          !force 5 global-bind-key scroll-up "A-up" ; Win
          !force 5 global-bind-key scroll-down "A-down"
          !force 5 global-bind-key scroll-up "esc up" ; Unix
          !force 5 global-bind-key scroll-down "esc down"

          !force 1 global-bind-key buffer-mode "C-x C-a"
          !force -1 global-bind-key buffer-mode "C-x C-d"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x d"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x C-e"
          !force global-unbind-key "A-f"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x C-l"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x C-u"
          !force global-bind-key shell "C-x C-z"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x f"
          !force global-bind-key goto-line "C-x g"
          !force global-bind-key insert-file "C-x i"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x m"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x n"
          ; USE M-q: !force global-bind-key ifill-paragraph "C-x p"
          !force global-bind-key view-file "C-x r"
          !force global-unbind-key "A-s"
          !force global-bind-key search-forward "esc s"
          !force global-bind-key save-buffer "C-x s"
          !force global-bind-key find-file "C-x C-v"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x w"
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x x"
          ; !force global-bind-key grow-window-vertically "C-x C-^" ; easier
          than ^X^
          !force global-unbind-key "esc C-k"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc C-n"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc C-r"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc C-s"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc a"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc e" ; set encryption key
          !force global-bind-key delete-indentation "esc j"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc k"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc m"
          !force global-bind-key query-replace-string "esc %"
          ;!force global-bind-key end-of-buffer "esc >"
          ;;1 global-bind-key set-mark "C-\"" ; ^2
          !force global-bind-key save-buffers-exit-emacs "A-f4"
          !force global-bind-key save-buffers-exit-emacs "C-x C-c"
          !force 1 global-bind-key delete-buffer "C-f4"
          !force 3 global-bind-key narrow-buffer "C-x <"
          !force 1 global-bind-key narrow-buffer "C-x >" ; widen
          !force global-bind-key help "C-h ?"
          !force global-bind-key yank "S-insert"
          !force global-unbind-key "esc ." ; was: set-mark
          !force global-unbind-key "C-x /" ; was: isearch-forward
          !force global-unbind-key "esc z" ; was: quick-exit
          ;; key used in macro !force global-bind-key tab "C-x C-i"
          !force global-bind-key command-apropos "C-h a"
          !force global-bind-key backward-kill-word "C-backspace" ; in addition
          to S-backspace
          !force 1 global-bind-key scroll-down "mouse-wdown" ; enable mouse wheel
          (Exceed 6.2)
          !force 1 global-bind-key scroll-up "mouse-wup"
          ; Exceed 7.1: sends mouse-pick-4 followed by mouse-drop-4 for wheel
          !force 1 global-bind-key scroll-down "mouse-pick-5" ; mouse wheel
          (Exceed 7.1)
          !force 1 global-bind-key scroll-up "mouse-pick-4"
          !force 0 global-bind-key scroll-down "mouse-drop-5" ; mouse wheel
          (Exceed 7.1)
          !force 0 global-bind-key scroll-up "mouse-drop-4"
          !force 10 global-bind-key scroll-left A-kp-left ; Imouse left
          !force 10 global-bind-key scroll-right A-kp-right ; Imouse right
          !force global-bind-key previous-window "C-x -"
          !force global-bind-key next-window "C-tab" ; Ctrl-Tab (like MDI)
          !force global-bind-key previous-window "C-S-tab" ; Ctrl-Shift-Tab (like
          MDI)
          !force global-bind-key split-window-horizontally "C-x 3" ; (like Gnu)
          !force global-unbind-key "A-C-r" ; free up for Windows shortcut
          !force global-bind-key next-buffer "C-page-down" ; Ctrl-PgDn (like Excel)
          !force -1 global-bind-key next-buffer "C-page-up" ; Ctrl-PgUp (like Excel)
          !force global-bind-key split-window-horizontally "C-x 5"

          ; end bindings
        • Pierre Gaston
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
            Bob Paddock wrote:

            >On Tuesday 19 October 2004 05:44 pm, Steven Phillips wrote:
            >

            >>However having not used Emacs for years I am no longer in a position to
            >>know what the main annoyances of using ME are from an Emacs users point of
            >>view.
            >>

            >Major one is that Control-Open-Bracket (^[) is not the same as Meta (<ESC>).
            >
            >Ctrl-Home go to top of current file.
            >
            >Ctrl-End go to bottom of current file.
            >
            >ESC-% Replace.

            Some other things :

            kill-line kills the end-of-line
            kill-region, does not put the region in the "kill-ring" when used
            inside the minibuffer (don't know if this is relevant here)

            Alt -> Main Menu N in the user setup

            ;C-x C-e is eval last sexp ie execute the current block in the buffer
            which has no equivalent AFAIK
            ; perhaps this should not be global rather in emf mode
            global-bind-key execute-buffer "C-x C-e"

            global-bind-key execute-line "A-:"

            global-bind-key query-replace-string "A-%"
            global-bind-key end-of-buffer "C-end"
            global-bind-key beginning-of-buffer "C-home"
            global-bind-key end-of-line "end"
            global-bind-key beginning-of-line "home"

            global-bind-key help-command "C-h f"
            global-bind-key describe-variable "C-h v"

            global-bind-key expand-abbrev-handle "esc /"
            global-bind-key goto-matching-fence "A-C-p"
            global-bind-key goto-matching-fence "A-C-n"