Re: Feature request: rectangle selection a la Word

  • Box-Plot
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:
      > Go into Word (say, 2000) and open a document with maybe a
      > screenful of text. Click somewhere in the middle to put the
      > cursor there. Now hold down Shift+Alt and click and/or drag the
      > mouse around. Now THAT is a really slick rectangle mode. I
      > would love to see something close to this in ME. (It probably
      doesn't
      > even have to be that hard. One part is to display the selection as
      > rect, not normal, one, and the other is to copy it as a rect when
      the
      > person lets go of the mouse button.)

      Rectangle selection is possible by default, even if the highlighted
      region is not rectangular.

      Just mark one of the edges (C-SPC), put the point on the opposite
      edge, then esc C-w (kill-rectangle).

      I suggest you to bind it to A-C-w to make it easier for you. Add this
      line to your .emf file:

      global-bind-key kill-rectangle "A-C-w"
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
        Yes I know this. I want to do it with the mouse, with the selection
        area displayed in real-time. Thanks.

        -Th

        --
        Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
      • Salman Khilji
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
          --- Thomas Hundt <thundt@...> wrote:

          > Yes I know this. I want to do it with the mouse,
          > with the selection
          > area displayed in real-time. Thanks.
          >
          > -Th

          I would like to add more to this. There is
          unfortunately a flaw in ME's approach to rectangular
          selection. Consider the following buffer:

          1) FooFooFoo FooFooFoo
          2) BarBarBarBarBar BarBar
          3) YesYes

          Notice carefully the third line. Before you do
          anything else, imagine that someone has run the
          command "clean-buffer" on the entire buffer.

          Now how do you select "column one" in the example
          above? You first click just to the right of 1) in
          line 1 above to mark selection. Then you want to move
          the cursor just to the right of the "r" but on the
          third line. It turns out that you cannot move your
          cursor because evertying after the last "Yes" on the
          third line is blank. You must first put the cursor
          after the "s" and hit the space bar 9 times before you
          can put your cursor there.

          If as requested, me could select rentagular regions
          like you can in Word 2000 or like you can in UltraEdit
          on Windows, it would make my life easier in certain
          situations.

          Salman

          http://vote.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 17, 2004
            This is a limitation of ME and as I hate editors which automatically insert
            spaces (aka MS-Dos edit) there is no easy solution for the key driven
            interface.

            However the mouse does not have such restrictions and I think I should be able
            to add the requested feature as a mouse binding.

            Steve

            > Subject: [jasspa] Re: Feature request: rectangle selection a la Word
            > From: Salman Khilji <salmankhilji@...>
            > Date: Saturday, October 16, 2004, 3:37:53 AM
            > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com

            > --- Thomas Hundt <thundt@...> wrote:

            >> Yes I know this. I want to do it with the mouse,
            >> with the selection
            >> area displayed in real-time. Thanks.
            >>
            >> -Th
            >>

            > I would like to add more to this. There is
            > unfortunately a flaw in ME's approach to rectangular
            > selection. Consider the following buffer:

            > 1) FooFooFoo FooFooFoo
            > 2) BarBarBarBarBar BarBar
            > 3) YesYes

            > Notice carefully the third line. Before you do
            > anything else, imagine that someone has run the
            > command "clean-buffer" on the entire buffer.

            > Now how do you select "column one" in the example
            > above? You first click just to the right of 1) in
            > line 1 above to mark selection. Then you want to move
            > the cursor just to the right of the "r" but on the
            > third line. It turns out that you cannot move your
            > cursor because evertying after the last "Yes" on the
            > third line is blank. You must first put the cursor
            > after the "s" and hit the space bar 9 times before you
            > can put your cursor there.

            > If as requested, me could select rentagular regions
            > like you can in Word 2000 or like you can in UltraEdit
            > on Windows, it would make my life easier in certain
            > situations.

            > Salman

            > http://vote.yahoo.com

          • Salman Khilji
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 17, 2004
              --- Steven Phillips <bill@...> wrote:

              > However the mouse does not have such restrictions
              > and I think I should be able
              > to add the requested feature as a mouse binding.

              That'd be cool.

              Salman

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • Box-Plot
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 18, 2004
                --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Salman Khilji <salmankhilji@y...>
                wrote:
                > --- Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:
                >
                > > Yes I know this. I want to do it with the mouse,
                > > with the selection
                > > area displayed in real-time. Thanks.
                > >
                > > -Th
                > >

                > I would like to add more to this. There is
                > unfortunately a flaw in ME's approach to rectangular
                > selection. Consider the following buffer:
                >

                > 1) FooFooFoo FooFooFoo
                > 2) BarBarBarBarBar BarBar
                > 3) YesYes
                >

                > Notice carefully the third line. Before you do
                > anything else, imagine that someone has run the
                > command "clean-buffer" on the entire buffer.
                >
                > Now how do you select "column one" in the example
                > above? You first click just to the right of 1) in
                > line 1 above to mark selection. Then you want to move
                > the cursor just to the right of the "r" but on the
                > third line. It turns out that you cannot move your
                > cursor because evertying after the last "Yes" on the
                > third line is blank. You must first put the cursor
                > after the "s" and hit the space bar 9 times before you
                > can put your cursor there.

                No need to go from top left to bottom right.
                Select from top right to bottom left and you're done.

                --
                Box-Plot