Re: [jasspa] X-Windows Drag'n'Drop support (xdnd)

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
      first last wrote:

      > I have just built it to test xdnd and it works alright here with KDE.
      > Thanks :)
      >
      > Also, could it be possible to add the "close tag" macro to the html
      > mode? That would save me a lot of time while checking the pages ;)

      The myhtml.emf file does exactly this on the download page.
      You need to install the XML extensions and this file and
      it will perform the html close completion, will also
      provide a strict html verify.

      Jon.

      > Thanks for your work
      >
      > Gabriel

    • Salman Khilji
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
        --- Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:

        > I've now prototyped the X-Window Drag'n'drop support
        > using the XDND protocol as requested last month by
        > Salman. I've confirmed the operation on Solaris

        I tested the latest version on Fedora Core 2 stock.
        It works great with both konqueror and Nautilus under
        KDE and GNOME respectively.

        I tested both single and multiple files dragged onto
        ME window and everything worked ok.

        Great work!!

        BTW, does jasspa accept donations?

        http://vote.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
          Gabriel and Salman,

          Thanks for taking time out to test this under KDE and
          GNOME. Both responses are favourable so I think we can
          call it a wrap !

          I've confirmed operation under HP-UX 11.00 with GNOME
          and it is OK. Only problem I've had is Mozilla 1.2.1
          which returns the incorrect Atom status following
          a drop, this is fixed in Mozilla 1.4.

          Alas we do not accept donations, but a bit of good
          will and good suggestions go a long way.

        • first last
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2004
            Well, I finally got around to implementing/testing the CUA mode for ME.
            I got the basic bindings like copy/paste/find but most of the others
            are not standard, so I have tried to make them reasonable (ctrl+g for
            searching again, but also f3, ctrl+w for closing the buffer, ctrl+f4 to
            close the window and so on).

            I have found a few problems so far:
            The select-all macro does not leave the cursor where it was, as it does
            on other programs. I tried to change to:
            define-macro select-all
            set-position 1
            beginning-of-buffer
            set-mark
            end-of-buffer
            goto-position 1
            !emacro

            but that will not select anything. Can we leave the selection there and
            change the cursor position? We could copy the text before getting the
            cursor back but that won't allow us to delete/cut the text.

            Then I have the macros that don't seem to exist and cause the loading
            to fail:
            global-bind-key previous-buffer "S-C-tab"
            global-bind-key expand-abbrev "C-space"
            global-bind-key kill-line "C-k"

            And then I have the bindings that don't do anything (probably because I
            got the key syntax wrong):
            global-bind-key find-buffer "S-C-o"
            global-bind-key split-window-horizontally "S-C-t"

            One last thing, would it be possible that we get ME to use the same
            copy/paste behaviour as other Unix gui systems:
            -Selecting the text copies it to a clipboard (primary?)
            -Copying/cutting (only with copy/cut, not with kill-line, kill-word or
            anything else) copies the text to a second clipboard (main?)
            The two clipboards are completely independent. On windows, only the
            second clipboard exists. These behaviour would make ME a lot more
            consistent with the way GUIs work (this doesn't matter on the console
            'cos your me clipboard is separated from the X clipboard).

            If anyone wants a copy of the binding, email me and I'll send it to
            you.

            Thanks

            Gabriel

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2004
              first last wrote:
              > Well, I finally got around to implementing/testing the CUA mode for ME.
              > I got the basic bindings like copy/paste/find but most of the others
              > are not standard, so I have tried to make them reasonable (ctrl+g for
              > searching again, but also f3, ctrl+w for closing the buffer, ctrl+f4 to
              > close the window and so on).
              >
              > I have found a few problems so far:
              > The select-all macro does not leave the cursor where it was, as it does
              > on other programs. I tried to change to:
              > define-macro select-all
              > set-position 1
              > beginning-of-buffer
              > set-mark
              > end-of-buffer
              > goto-position 1
              > !emacro
              >
              > but that will not select anything. Can we leave the selection there and
              > change the cursor position? We could copy the text before getting the
              > cursor back but that won't allow us to delete/cut the text.

              Use show-region if you want to keep the hilighting.
              The shove-over macro I pushed out last week kept
              the region hilighting and allowed the position to
              be moved. Look at that for an example.

              > Then I have the macros that don't seem to exist and cause the loading
              > to fail:
              > global-bind-key previous-buffer "S-C-tab"

              previous-buffer does not exist you can define it as:-

              ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
              ; Command to move to the previous buffer.
              define-macro previous-buffer
              &neg @# next-buffer
              !emacro

              > global-bind-key expand-abbrev "C-space"

              This is a built in and should exist ??

              > global-bind-key kill-line "C-k"

              This is a built in and should exist ??

              > And then I have the bindings that don't do anything (probably because I
              > got the key syntax wrong):
              > global-bind-key find-buffer "S-C-o"
              > global-bind-key split-window-horizontally "S-C-t"

              Ah. S-C-o is actually capital O i.e. C-O
              However ME does not differentiate case so these
              will always be bound to C-o and C-t. May be ME should
              do this case differentiation when both upper and
              lower are bound. Nobody has tried to do what you are
              doing so far hence there may be a few things missing.

              > One last thing, would it be possible that we get ME to use the same
              > copy/paste behaviour as other Unix gui systems:
              > -Selecting the text copies it to a clipboard (primary?)
              > -Copying/cutting (only with copy/cut, not with kill-line, kill-word or
              > anything else) copies the text to a second clipboard (main?)
              > The two clipboards are completely independent. On windows, only the
              > second clipboard exists. These behaviour would make ME a lot more
              > consistent with the way GUIs work (this doesn't matter on the console
              > 'cos your me clipboard is separated from the X clipboard).

              Will have to investigate this one further to get a better
              understanding of what you are saying.

              > If anyone wants a copy of the binding, email me and I'll send it to
              > you.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Gabriel

              How have you done this ? I would envisage this being an emulation
              (help->user setup->start up->emulation. The other emulation files
              are menedit.emf and meme3_8.emf. If you look at menedit.emf then
              it always runs the MS-shift region which is probably what you
              want to do as well. The advantage of running as an emulation is
              that you can affect the buffer bindings in the macros as well.

              Good Stuff
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                Gabriel,

                This becomes more awkward because there is a fundamental difference in the approach to regions and cut 'n' paste operations. Emacs style editors do not really have a concept of a static defined region which is then operated on, the region alway changes with the cursor and any operation such as copy-region takes the content from the mark to the current cursor position as the region. Windows on the other hand must have its region defined first and then commands can operate on the defined region, such as cut, copy and paste. This has the advantage of being able to 'replace a region' with a paste operation and also being able to set the current region to the whole buffer whilst leaving the cursor in the original position, but I find the requirement of having to use copy or cut command to get the current region into the paste buffer (or kill buffer) really tedious (each to his own!)

                So this is the problem you face, for true CUA support the behaviour of commands like copy-region must be changed so they take the current 'show-region' rather than the mark-to-cursor region. As Jon suggests, the new shove-over macro shows how this is done but the implications of this difference will mean that to get a good 'simulation' other commands will need to be replaced (e.g. yank, it must replace the current region if there is one, the MS shift mode goes some way towards this, but doing C-a C-v to replace the whole buffer with the current paste buffer will not currently work), some commands will have to be burried as just incompatible to CUA (such as all the commands I rely on, e.g. kill-line, forward-kill-word, in CUA a region must be defined - how annoyingly slow!) and other commands become debateable in their use (e.g. should reyank be allowed as the paste does not maintain the region so there is no region for the reyank command to replace).

                Using 'show-region' regions is fiddly to get right as some commands 'lose' the region when they shouldn't in CUA mode, but I believe that the underlying show-region command and capability should allow you to achieve this so if you run into difficulty drop me a line (with your macros and example!)

                http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                modify your account settings manually.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • first last
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                  > global-bind-key expand-abbrev "C-space"
                  >This is a built in and should exist ??
                  > global-bind-key kill-line "C-k"
                  >This is a built in and should exist ??

                  That's what I thought. I will get it working and then send it to the
                  list so you can have a look (sorry for needing all this hand-holding).

                  > Ah. S-C-o is actually capital O i.e. C-O
                  > However ME does not differentiate case so these
                  > will always be bound to C-o and C-t. May be ME should
                  > do this case differentiation when both upper and
                  > lower are bound. Nobody has tried to do what you are
                  > doing so far hence there may be a few things missing.

                  Just a warning, C-O is not the same as S-C-o, as the first one will be
                  affected by caps lock and the second not. I highlight this because this
                  is one of the most annoying things in vi (flame :P).

                  Copy and pasting...
                  > Will have to investigate this one further to get a better
                  > understanding of what you are saying.

                  Just an example, open any 2 modern Unix gui apps (kde, gnome, gtk) and
                  then select text with the mouse on one. Then press ctrl+c (or whatever
                  copy is), then select some other text. Then go to the second app, press
                  ctrl+v (or whatever paste is) and you will get the text that was copied
                  with the copy command. Then paste the text (middle button?) and you'll
                  get the second text you selected.

                  The copy/paste clipboard does not change unless you select copy/cut,
                  selecting the text and then deleting it does nothing to the clipboard
                  and neither does "kill-line" or "kill-word".

                  On windows, the x clipboard does not exist so you only get the
                  copy/paste one.

                  > How have you done this ? I would envisage this being an emulation
                  > (help->user setup->start up->emulation. The other emulation files
                  > are menedit.emf and meme3_8.emf. If you look at menedit.emf then
                  > it always runs the MS-shift region which is probably what you
                  > want to do as well. The advantage of running as an emulation is
                  > that you can affect the buffer bindings in the macros as well.

                  Well, I am editing the menedit macro to make my mode. I am now
                  modifying it so it defaults to not-osd versions of the functions, as
                  they are a lot more efficient (at least for me).

                  Probably I should make a "osd" and "non-osd" version of the mode,
                  probably to be selected when you first change the mode? I am thinking
                  of newbies, as they are the ones most likely to use such as mode (and
                  people who want consistency like I do).

                  > Good Stuff

                  Thanks. Once I get this working I need to start looking at how osd
                  things work so I can implement api-autocompletion :)

                  Regards

                  Gabriel

                  modify your account settings manually.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                • first last
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                    I understand, it is just that it is not really consistent with the rest
                    of a "normal" destkop.

                    I don't mind it too much (until I happen to select text on another app
                    and then try to paste my last ME killbuffer).

                    Anyway, ignoring that, here it is the CUA mode:

                    ; -!- emf -!-
                    ; This is part of the JASSPA MicroEmacs macro files
                    ; Copyright (C) 2001-2004 JASSPA (www.jasspa.com)
                    ; See the file me.emf for copying and conditions.
                    ;
                    ; Created: Wed Feb 21 2001
                    ; Adapted: Gabriel Tabares-Barreiro
                    ; Synopsis: CUA (Standard GUI keybindings) emulation
                    ; Authors: Steven Phillips, Gabriel Tabares-Barreiro
                    ;
                    ; Notes:
                    ; This is currently only a partical implementation created for
                    proof
                    ; of concept, please feel free to improve and submit correction.
                    ; An emulation requires:
                    ; * Additional entries added to %emulate-names ("The full name")
                    ; and %emulate-value ("label" - should be 5 or less chars).
                    ; * An "melabel.emf" macro file like this one. This is executed
                    ; at the end of me.emf after the editor has been configured
                    for
                    ; normal release - this allows any aspect of the editor to be
                    ; changed.
                    ; * Optionally an "osdlabel.emf" macro file (see osdedit.emf)
                    which
                    ; is executed at the end of executing osd.emf. osd.emf is
                    executed
                    ; when the user first opens the main menu and allows the
                    emulation
                    ; to change anything on the main menu (although care must be
                    taken
                    ; the menu is dynamically changed so the osd-main macro may
                    need
                    ; replacing).
                    ;

                    ;@TODO: Typo: OSD close says "Loose changes" when it should be "Lose
                    changes"

                    define-macro-file osd osd-new-buffer osd-save osd-save-as osd-close
                    osd-undo osd-redo
                    define-macro-file search osd-find-tag osd-search osd-goto-line
                    define-macro-file osdhelp osd-help
                    define-macro select-all
                    ;;@TODO to make it work as other programs, can we return the cursor to
                    where
                    ; it was and leave the mark as it should???
                    ; set-position 1
                    beginning-of-buffer
                    set-mark
                    end-of-buffer
                    ; goto-position 1
                    !emacro
                    define-macro forward-paragraph-start
                    beginning-of-line
                    !force 2 forward-paragraph
                    !if $status
                    backward-paragraph
                    define-macro forward-word-start
                    !force 2 forward-word
                    !if $status
                    backward-word

                    define-macro previous-buffer
                    &neg @# next-buffer
                    !emacro

                    ; get rid of all default ME bindings
                    -1 global-unbind-key "y"
                    ; create safety bindings so we can still do things

                    ;I have set this to C-b 'cos it isn't used for anything, any other
                    ideas?
                    1 global-bind-key prefix "C-b"
                    global-bind-key execute-named-command "C-b x"
                    ; CUA emulation
                    global-bind-key abort-command "esc"
                    global-bind-key backward-char "left"
                    global-bind-key backward-line "up"
                    global-bind-key forward-char "right"
                    global-bind-key forward-line "down"
                    global-bind-key backward-word "C-left"
                    global-bind-key backward-paragraph "C-up"
                    global-bind-key forward-word-start "C-right"
                    global-bind-key forward-paragraph-start "C-down"
                    global-bind-key backward-delete-char "backspace"
                    global-bind-key backward-kill-word "C-backspace"
                    151 global-bind-key buffer-mode "insert"
                    global-bind-key forward-delete-char "delete"
                    global-bind-key forward-kill-word "C-delete"
                    global-bind-key beginning-of-line "home"
                    global-bind-key beginning-of-buffer "C-home"
                    global-bind-key end-of-line "end"
                    global-bind-key end-of-buffer "C-end"
                    global-bind-key scroll-up "page-up"
                    global-bind-key scroll-down "page-down"
                    global-bind-key tab "tab"
                    global-bind-key newline "return"

                    global-bind-key select-all "C-a"

                    global-bind-key copy-region "C-c"
                    global-bind-key goto-line "C-l"
                    ;global-bind-key osd-goto-line "C-l"
                    ;1 global-bind-key osd-search "C-f"
                    1 global-bind-key isearch-forward "C-f"
                    1 global-bind-key isearch-backward "S-C-f"
                    global-bind-key hunt-forward "f3"
                    global-bind-key hunt-forward "C-g"
                    global-bind-key hunt-backward "S-f3"
                    global-bind-key hunt-backward "S-C-g"
                    ;global-bind-key help "C-h"
                    global-bind-key buffer-help "C-f1"
                    global-bind-key insert-file "C-i"
                    global-bind-key ifill-paragraph "C-j"
                    global-bind-key lower-case-region "A-l"
                    global-bind-key upper-case-region "A-u"
                    global-bind-key set-alpha-mark "C-m"
                    ;global-bind-key osd-new-buffer "C-n"
                    ;global-bind-key new-buffer "C-n"
                    ;global-bind-key osd-file-open "C-o"
                    global-bind-key find-file "C-o"
                    global-bind-key print-buffer "C-p"
                    ;global-bind-key save-buffers-exit-emacs "C-q"
                    ;2 global-bind-key osd-search "C-r"
                    global-bind-key query-replace-string "C-r"
                    ;global-bind-key osd-save "C-s"
                    global-bind-key save-buffer "C-s"
                    global-bind-key goto-alpha-mark "C-t"
                    global-bind-key yank "C-v"
                    global-bind-key yank-rectangle "A-C-v"
                    global-bind-key osd-close "C-w" ;This is the only OSD that I like so
                    I'll keep it :)
                    ;global-bind-key delete-buffer "C-w"
                    global-bind-key kill-region "C-x"
                    global-bind-key osd-undo "C-z"
                    global-bind-key osd-redo "C-y"
                    global-bind-key split-window-horizontally "C-t"
                    global-bind-key split-window-vertically "S-C-t"
                    global-bind-key delete-window "C-f4"
                    global-bind-key next-buffer "C-tab"
                    global-bind-key help "f1"
                    global-bind-key grep "f2"

                    global-bind-key change-directory "A-d"
                    ;global-bind-key MainMenu "menu"
                    global-bind-key context-menu "menu"

                    ;These don't seem to work and cause the loading to fail --- they've
                    started working again
                    global-bind-key previous-buffer "S-C-tab"
                    global-bind-key expand-abbrev "C-space" ;fails with "no abbrev
                    expansion defined"???
                    global-bind-key kill-line "C-k"

                    ;These do nothing
                    global-bind-key find-buffer "S-C-o"

                    ; reconfigure the buffer bindings
                    ;Change these so commenting out lines is easier :)
                    set-variable .buffer-bind-key.map-from "|C-c C-c|C-c C-d|"
                    set-variable .buffer-bind-key.map-to "|C-#|C-~|"
                    ; always want msshift
                    !force exec-file msshift
                    ; redo the mouse
                    !force exec-file "mouse"

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                      I access Unix on a Windows PC all the time. And ME and Putty windows
                      both support mouse selection (which amounts to select-and-copy). And
                      then I can paste into a Windows app (including ME by middle-clicking).
                      And that suits me just fine. Sometimes it doesn't work and it drives me
                      nuts. (I find that I can't paste into a Unix app. I have to select
                      something there, and then go copy my selection again over in the other
                      window. Then it works again.) So I would hate having to worry about
                      TWO clipboards. I'm very happy with just the one!!

                      And I REALLY like the fact that cutting (killing) in ME amounts to
                      cutting to the clipboard.

                      >>Ah. S-C-o is actually capital O i.e. C-O
                      >>However ME does not differentiate case so these
                      >>will always be bound to C-o and C-t. May be ME should
                      >
                      > Just a warning, C-O is not the same as S-C-o, as the first one will be
                      > affected by caps lock and the second not. I highlight this because this
                      > is one of the most annoying things in vi (flame :P).

                      What does GNU Emacs do? To me that is the benchmark; it has many years
                      and thousands of users' worth of experience behind it. (But OTOH it's
                      so boated and damned complicated to customize that I was driven to move
                      to ME and uemacs years ago. Even now, when it's decently runnable on
                      PCs, I stubbornly refuse to learn Lisp.)

                      --
                      Thomas Hundt