[jasspa] Re: ME and info-files

  • Steven Phillips,,,
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
      > Subject: [jasspa] ME and info-files
      > From: Detlef Groth <dgroth@...>
      > Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 11:21:02 +0200
      > To: jasspa@egroups.com
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > It is incredible was ME is, HTML-Browser, LaTex-IDE, E-mailer (I still not
      > tried it), Zip-file-browser and and and and ..... and an info-Browser. In the
      > Cygwin-beta (UNIX for my Win98) are many interesting info-files but I was not
      > able to read them really, up to setting up the dir-file-correctly and invoking
      > ME.
      >
      > However there are two problems, the first I can't copy text to use
      them

      You can't copy the text using the mouse because thats used for navigation, but
      you can using the cursor keys etc.

      > further, the second the use of gzip-info-files seems to be only possible with
      > info-files which are single-files, like the bash.info.gz. Other info-files
      > like texinfo.gz, texinfo-1.gz, texinfo-2.gz and so on are not working. Is
      > there any possibility ot change in info.emf the command :
      >
      > !force shell-command &spr "gunzip -c \"%s.gz\" > %s" #l0 #l9
      >
      > to something like:
      >
      > !force shell-command &spr "gunzip -c \"%s...gz\" > %s" #l0 #l9 Where '..'
      > means regexpressions. to extract all texinfo-files in the
      > windows/temp-directory or is it possible to merge the files in one gz-file or
      > in one zip-file and to invoke the find-zfile-command ?
      >
      > By the way I use here the command.com and a batch-file pointing to the
      > gunzip.exe in the cygwin-directory.

      And I think this is the cause of the problem, certainly on unix this works
      just. I think the problem is this:

      The command line used the decompress the info file is:

      gunzip -c "foo.gz" > tempfile

      on windows the "tempfile" will be something like "c:\temp\metmp.0" which is
      fine for windows applications but for the cygwin gunzip (a unix program) this
      is a bad file name. Try doing

      gunzip -c "foo.gz" > c:\temp\metemp.0

      in a cygwin window and see what happens.

      As a temporary fix try adding the var-str-sub line just before the
      shell-command line:

      var-str-sub #l9 "\\" "/"
      !force shell-command &spr "gunzip -c \"%s.gz\" > %s" #l0 #l9

      this changes the '\'s to '/'s.

      If this works I think the problem could be permanently fixed by removing the
      need for the batch file (I think its the '>' piping thats screwing up). To do
      this copy the gunzip.exe and the require cygwin dll's (copy just the exe, try
      and run it and NT will complain that it can't find such and such dll, copy
      that across and try again) into your path and remove the gunzip.bat file.

      This hopefully will now work with the var-str-sub line removed.

      Steve
    • Detlef Groth
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 1999
        Hello, again me...
        I get it working also for multiple gz-files

        >> further, the second the use of gzip-info-files seems to be only possible with
        >> info-files which are single-files, like the bash.info.gz. Other info-files
        >> like texinfo.gz, texinfo-1.gz, texinfo-2.gz and so on are not working. Is
        >> there any possibility ot change in info.emf the command :
        >>
        >> !force shell-command &spr "gunzip -c \"%s.gz\" > %s" #l0 #l9
        >>
        >> to something like:
        >>
        >> !force shell-command &spr "gunzip -c \"%s...gz\" > %s" #l0 #l9 Where '..'
        >> means regexpressions. to extract all texinfo-files in the
        >> windows/temp-directory or is it possible to merge the files in one gz-file or
        >> in one zip-file and to invoke the find-zfile-command ?
        >>
        >> By the way I use here the command.com and a batch-file pointing to the
        >> gunzip.exe in the cygwin-directory.

        >And I think this is the cause of the problem, certainly on unix this works
        >just. I think the problem is this:
        >
        >The command line used the decompress the info file is:
        >
        > gunzip -c "foo.gz" > tempfile
        >
        >on windows the "tempfile" will be something like "c:\temp\metmp.0" which is
        >fine for windows applications but for the cygwin gunzip (a unix program) this
        >is a bad file name. Try doing
        >
        > gunzip -c "foo.gz" > c:\temp\metemp.0
        >
        >in a cygwin window and see what happens.

        I copied gunzip.exe and cygwin1.dll from the cygwin-bin directory in the path.

        I did:
        gunzip -c "foo.gz" > c:\temp\metemp.0

        in c:\info, nothing happens

        I did:

        gunzip -c "foo.gz" > c:/temp/metemp.1

        in c:\info, in c:\temp metemp.1 was generated

        I tried gunzip -c "foo.gz" > metemp.0

        and this file was generated in the c:\info directory

        again I run info and tried to see the info for Axe (a ME competitor) which is in:

        C:\info\axe.info.gz
        C:\info\axe.info-1.gz
        C:\info\axe.info-2.gz

        by clicking on '* Axe: (axe).'

        The command line showed a promising `found info in c:/info/axe.info'

        I had to wait for a longer time and finally the axe-info appears and all was working fine.

        Great, I startet gzipping the gnu-assembler-info-files....to

        C:\info\as.info.gz
        C:\info\as.info-1.gz
        C:\info\as.info-2.gz
        C:\info\as.info-3.gz
        C:\info\as.info-4.gz
        C:\info\as.info-5.gz
        C:\info\as.info-6.gz
        C:\info\as.info-7.gz

        I clicked on
        '* As: (as). The GNU assembler.'

        ME and gunzip needed about 30 seconds for unzipping on my machine (AMD-K6-2 300 MHz, 64 Mb RAM). The mouse courser was twitching 8 times....
        and again I was reading the info-files for the assembler.

        It essential to wait here and not to think `oh, Me is hanging, I press C-g'. So look at the dancing-mouse to be `info'rmed.

        For the 12 texinfo files I have to wait 55 seconds...

        >As a temporary fix try adding the var-str-sub line just before the
        >shell-command line:
        >
        > var-str-sub #l9 "\\" "/"
        > !force shell-command &spr "gunzip -c \"%s.gz\" > %s" #l0 #l9

        >this changes the '\'s to '/'s.

        This does not help.
        I removed it again.

        >If this works I think the problem could be permanently fixed by removing the
        >need for the batch file (I think its the '>' piping thats screwing up). To do
        >this copy the gunzip.exe and the require cygwin dll's (copy just the exe, try
        >and run it and NT will complain that it can't find such and such dll, copy
        >that across and try again) into your path and remove the gunzip.bat file.
        >
        >This hopefully will now work with the var-str-sub line removed.
        >
        >Steve

        The last feature I wish to have here is highlighting for the links and for `foo' special words, but how to add a file-hook for *info foo.info ???

        How happy the people with no problems...

        best regards,
        Detlef