Hello the list

  • Tony Bedford
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
      Hi,

      Just a note to say I just started using MicroEmacs and really like it.
      I had been using Jedit (the Java based editor), which has some very nice
      features, but in the end I gave up out of frustration with it's slowness
      when working on large XSL style sheets. The same style sheet loads instantly
      in ME and ME never seems to slow down :)

      Things I like about MicroEmacs:
      - lightning fast, loads quickly and large files load instantly too.
      - easy to set up for basic editing.
      - easy to add new macros.
      - sensible auto indenting.
      - auto spell is very useful as I write documentation.
      - in built colour schemes are quite nifty.
      - access to tools such as grep, mail etc.
      - ability to read man pages and Perl docs in the editor is very handy :)

      Things that I would like to see more info and practical examples on:
      - setting up MicroEmacs to read email on Windows (that would be SO
      convenient).
      - ability to validate XML docs.

      One thing I think would be cool is to try and get some links
      on the ME home page to people actively using ME. I'd like to know
      what other cool things people are doing with ME.

      If I get time I am going to see if I can hook up ME to HTML Tidy, which
      would be useful. Not sure when that will be though!

      Thanks for a great editor.

      Tony
      ------------------

      http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
        Tony Bedford wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Just a note to say I just started using MicroEmacs and really like it.
        > I had been using Jedit (the Java based editor), which has some very nice
        > features, but in the end I gave up out of frustration with it's slowness
        > when working on large XSL style sheets. The same style sheet loads instantly
        > in ME and ME never seems to slow down :)
        >
        > Things I like about MicroEmacs:
        > - lightning fast, loads quickly and large files load instantly too.
        > - easy to set up for basic editing.
        > - easy to add new macros.
        > - sensible auto indenting.
        > - auto spell is very useful as I write documentation.
        > - in built colour schemes are quite nifty.
        > - access to tools such as grep, mail etc.
        > - ability to read man pages and Perl docs in the editor is very handy :)

        Hi Tony,

        Thanks for the E-Mail. Cheered me up this morning. Nice
        to get some positive feedback from time to time.

        > Things that I would like to see more info and practical examples on:
        > - setting up MicroEmacs to read email on Windows (that would be SO
        > convenient).

        See the help page vm(3) for E-Mail support. I must confess I
        do not use it that often, mainly for sending.
        You need to download "postie" and "blat" to
        send/receive from Windows environments.

        > - ability to validate XML docs.

        Nobody has asked for this, but I agree it would be pretty
        useful in SGML as well. XML is well structured (as is SGML)
        so it should be possible to do this in a macro. I assume
        that you just want to check that your opening and closing
        tags pair correctly. Obviously the hilighting will provide
        visual feedback for some faults (i.e. missing quotation
        on attribute etc.) in addition to indentation.

        > One thing I think would be cool is to try and get some links
        > on the ME home page to people actively using ME. I'd like to know
        > what other cool things people are doing with ME.

        To be honest we never really know what people
        are doing with it, or for that matter how many
        people are using it or who is using it. There are
        a few people on the group who contribute
        new macros, templates and ideas which get added
        directly or form the basis of a set of new
        features in subsequent releases. There have
        been some good ideas that have popped out
        in the last couple of years as people
        attempt to do different things with the editor.

        One interesting link that I turned up
        earlier in the year on what people do with
        the editor was this one:-

        http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tivohks/inx.html

        Jasspa MicroEmacs appears in the index of the
        book:-

        TiVo Hacks
        100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools
        By Raffi Krikorian
        August 2003
        ISBN: 0-596-00553-9

        I've never seen the book and am quite
        curious as to why the reference is there
        and why in the Index.

        > If I get time I am going to see if I can hook up ME to HTML Tidy, which
        > would be useful. Not sure when that will be though!

        Well if you do then please let us know how you
        did it them we will can redistribute the information
        or extend the HTML template.

        Obviously any feedback from a new user perspective
        is also useful, things that you find difficult,
        badly explained etc. We are aware that we are
        deficient in terms of a high level user manual.
        There are a lot of manual pages which pretty
        much document every command and variable but
        very little high level documentation. We have
        plans to address this just a question of time !

        Regards
        Jon

        > Thanks for a great editor.
        >
        > Tony
      • Tony Bedford
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
          OK Thanks Jon.

          Thanks for the information. If I make any progress with either the email
          setup or
          linking to HTML tidy, I will let the list know.

          Been happily editing away on my XSL stylesheet this morning and happy to
          report
          no slowdown! :D

          By the way I loaded a large perl program and it came up instantly, I am just
          not used to that after Jedit. :)

          I would say installation was fairly straightforward, but that ME put a
          couple of files
          in places that I wasn't expecting: me32.ini and my user.emf file. It also
          took me
          a little while to figure out that my user.emf was actually called
          tbedford.emf in
          my case :) On the whole no problems though.

          Yes I think XML validation can partly be done with Macros, or even by an
          external program. Yes, it's mainly to ensure that elements are closed off
          correctly. One nice feature that I think could be done in a macro is tag
          completion...so you type </ and then the correct tag is completed for you.
          I am using The Doctor's auto-completion macro to partially do this (By the
          way
          The Doc's line completion macro is something I've used quite a bit too).

          OK, cheers.
          Tony

          http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
            It sounds like some of the macros from the html hooks need to be lifted (I've
            edited plenty of html files but not many xml ones yet :) Simple building
            blocks like xml-forward-tag, xml-goto-match-tag etc should be sufficient to
            create a pretty good validator (with further tweaking required etc). The tab
            completion should also be easy and fits in with the general abbreviation
            stuff.

            In the interim would loading the xml file into netscape/iexplorer be helpful?
            If so you could either lift the function from htmlutil.emf (exec htmlutil and
            run command html-view-netscape etc) or create a user-setup -> Tools to launch
            another external program.

            Steve

          • Tony Bedford
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2004
              I was going to try to hook up to an external tool as that was the line of
              least resistance...
              If I get time to tweak macros and so on I will post them here.

              Thanks a lot for your advice.

              Tony

              http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2004
                I was suggesting that I create the macros...

                http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger