Re: [jasspa] Inconsistencies in bind-key commands for Alt/Esc

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
      Thomas Hundt wrote:
      > So I have these routines lying around to comment and un-comment out
      > lines. And I've been playing around with the keybindings a bit this
      > morning and noticed the commands are a little inconsistent:
      >
      > This binds both Alt-comma and Escape-comma:
      > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "esc ,"
      >
      > This binds to Alt-comma but not Escape-comma:
      > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
      >
      > And there's this dash in there. If I put the dash in the other one, it
      > fails.
      >
      > By using both forms in the right order, I can bind one thing to
      > Esc-comma and another thing to Alt-comma:
      > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
      > buffer-bind-key uncomment-out-line "esc ,"
      >

      > I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I thought I'd throw it
      > out there in case anyone cares. I think the "esc-," form is a throwback
      > to some older version of MicroEmacs.

      The '-' is used with key combinations (i.e. that are pressed together)
      i.e. "C-c" is Control + c. "esc x" is <ESC> followed by "x" and they
      are not pressed together, hence the space.

      > (This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
      > USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)

      The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
      stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd
      does!). Europe is typically dd/mm/yy, America is mm/dd/yy so
      the format does not follow either and is supposed to be a little
      more 'international' so to speak (at a push). This stuff is always
      difficult at the best of times !

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
        >>(This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
        >>USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)
        >
        > The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
        > stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd

        Yeah I know, I was mostly teasing with that one, and agree about the
        sorting and that the US is wacky, as usual. YYYY would make it a little
        more clear -- I don't think I've ever seen yyyy-dd-mm.

        BTW: The SQL standard (ISO 9075) uses 'YYYY-MM-DD' and 'YYYY-MM-DD
        HH:MM:SS'.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
          Note also that "A-," == "esc ," when only "esc ," is bound is a feature rather than a bug. When the user presses an A-? key (e.g. A-space) ME first looks for an explicit "A-space" key binding, if it fails to find one it will look for a "esc ?" key binding (i.e. "esc space" -> set-mark). The reverse does not happen, i.e. pressing "esc ," doesn't pick up "A-," binding if not bound.

          This feature can be disabled via the user-setup option "Alt -> Esc Prefix" on the general page.

          Steve

          > So I have these routines lying around to comment and un-comment out
          > lines. And I've been playing around with the keybindings a bit this
          > morning and noticed the commands are a little inconsistent:
          >
          > This binds both Alt-comma and Escape-comma:
          > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "esc ,"
          >
          > This binds to Alt-comma but not Escape-comma:
          > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
          >
          > And there's this dash in there. If I put the dash in the other one, it
          > fails.
          >
          > By using both forms in the right order, I can bind one thing to
          > Esc-comma and another thing to Alt-comma:
          > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
          > buffer-bind-key uncomment-out-line "esc ,"
          >

          > I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I thought I'd throw it
          > out there in case anyone cares. I think the "esc-," form is a throwback
          > to some older version of MicroEmacs.

          The '-' is used with key combinations (i.e. that are pressed together)
          i.e. "C-c" is Control + c. "esc x" is <ESC> followed by "x" and they
          are not pressed together, hence the space.

          > (This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
          > USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)

          The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
          stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd
          does!). Europe is typically dd/mm/yy, America is mm/dd/yy so
          the format does not follow either and is supposed to be a little
          more 'international' so to speak (at a push). This stuff is always
          difficult at the best of times !

          modify your account settings manually.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2004
            Thomas Hundt wrote:
            >>>(This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
            >>>USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)
            >>
            >>The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
            >>stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd
            >

            > Yeah I know, I was mostly teasing with that one, and agree about the
            > sorting and that the US is wacky, as usual. YYYY would make it a little
            > more clear -- I don't think I've ever seen yyyy-dd-mm.

            Yes you are right, if we used yyyy instead of yy in the version
            display it would be a little more obvious and less open for
            interpretation. Probably a worthy candidate for the 1 minute
            change !

            Jon.