Inconsistencies in bind-key commands for Alt/Esc

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
      So I have these routines lying around to comment and un-comment out
      lines. And I've been playing around with the keybindings a bit this
      morning and noticed the commands are a little inconsistent:

      This binds both Alt-comma and Escape-comma:
      buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "esc ,"

      This binds to Alt-comma but not Escape-comma:
      buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"

      And there's this dash in there. If I put the dash in the other one, it
      fails.

      By using both forms in the right order, I can bind one thing to
      Esc-comma and another thing to Alt-comma:
      buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
      buffer-bind-key uncomment-out-line "esc ,"

      I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I thought I'd throw it
      out there in case anyone cares. I think the "esc-," form is a throwback
      to some older version of MicroEmacs.

      (This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
      USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)

      --
      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
        Thomas Hundt wrote:
        > So I have these routines lying around to comment and un-comment out
        > lines. And I've been playing around with the keybindings a bit this
        > morning and noticed the commands are a little inconsistent:
        >
        > This binds both Alt-comma and Escape-comma:
        > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "esc ,"
        >
        > This binds to Alt-comma but not Escape-comma:
        > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
        >
        > And there's this dash in there. If I put the dash in the other one, it
        > fails.
        >
        > By using both forms in the right order, I can bind one thing to
        > Esc-comma and another thing to Alt-comma:
        > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
        > buffer-bind-key uncomment-out-line "esc ,"
        >

        > I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I thought I'd throw it
        > out there in case anyone cares. I think the "esc-," form is a throwback
        > to some older version of MicroEmacs.

        The '-' is used with key combinations (i.e. that are pressed together)
        i.e. "C-c" is Control + c. "esc x" is <ESC> followed by "x" and they
        are not pressed together, hence the space.

        > (This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
        > USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)

        The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
        stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd
        does!). Europe is typically dd/mm/yy, America is mm/dd/yy so
        the format does not follow either and is supposed to be a little
        more 'international' so to speak (at a push). This stuff is always
        difficult at the best of times !

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
          >>(This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
          >>USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)
          >
          > The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
          > stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd

          Yeah I know, I was mostly teasing with that one, and agree about the
          sorting and that the US is wacky, as usual. YYYY would make it a little
          more clear -- I don't think I've ever seen yyyy-dd-mm.

          BTW: The SQL standard (ISO 9075) uses 'YYYY-MM-DD' and 'YYYY-MM-DD
          HH:MM:SS'.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
            Note also that "A-," == "esc ," when only "esc ," is bound is a feature rather than a bug. When the user presses an A-? key (e.g. A-space) ME first looks for an explicit "A-space" key binding, if it fails to find one it will look for a "esc ?" key binding (i.e. "esc space" -> set-mark). The reverse does not happen, i.e. pressing "esc ," doesn't pick up "A-," binding if not bound.

            This feature can be disabled via the user-setup option "Alt -> Esc Prefix" on the general page.

            Steve

            > So I have these routines lying around to comment and un-comment out
            > lines. And I've been playing around with the keybindings a bit this
            > morning and noticed the commands are a little inconsistent:
            >
            > This binds both Alt-comma and Escape-comma:
            > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "esc ,"
            >
            > This binds to Alt-comma but not Escape-comma:
            > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
            >
            > And there's this dash in there. If I put the dash in the other one, it
            > fails.
            >
            > By using both forms in the right order, I can bind one thing to
            > Esc-comma and another thing to Alt-comma:
            > buffer-bind-key uncomment-hashmark "A-,"
            > buffer-bind-key uncomment-out-line "esc ,"
            >

            > I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I thought I'd throw it
            > out there in case anyone cares. I think the "esc-," form is a throwback
            > to some older version of MicroEmacs.

            The '-' is used with key combinations (i.e. that are pressed together)
            i.e. "C-c" is Control + c. "esc x" is <ESC> followed by "x" and they
            are not pressed together, hence the space.

            > (This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
            > USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)

            The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
            stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd
            does!). Europe is typically dd/mm/yy, America is mm/dd/yy so
            the format does not follow either and is supposed to be a little
            more 'international' so to speak (at a push). This stuff is always
            difficult at the best of times !

            modify your account settings manually.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27, 2004
              Thomas Hundt wrote:
              >>>(This is in ME version "04/03/01" which is 01-Mar-2004 [but to us in the
              >>>USA looks like 03-Apr-2001]. Speaking of confusing inconsistencies.)
              >>
              >>The yy/mm/dd format is supposed to be neutral and follows the date
              >>stamp used in CVS etc (also yymmdd sorts correctly - well yyyymmdd
              >

              > Yeah I know, I was mostly teasing with that one, and agree about the
              > sorting and that the US is wacky, as usual. YYYY would make it a little
              > more clear -- I don't think I've ever seen yyyy-dd-mm.

              Yes you are right, if we used yyyy instead of yy in the version
              display it would be a little more obvious and less open for
              interpretation. Probably a worthy candidate for the 1 minute
              change !

              Jon.