[jasspa] Re: Spelling-improvments

  • Steven Phillips,,,
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1999
      > Subject: [jasspa] Spelling-improvments
      > From: Detlef Groth <dgroth@...>
      > Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:11:23 +0200
      > To: jasspa@egroups.com
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > Here some spelling questions.
      >
      > 1. LaTex allows you to propose or to force the compiler to hyphen special words.
      > It would be nice if ME see these words as single words.
      >
      > But I also like to divide words merged by an `-�. For words like `ME-users�
      >
      > set-char-mask "-1" "-"
      > should divide the word !?
      >
      > But now I like to merge hyphenated words. For LaTex words like
      > `Archaeo\-pterix� ME should spell it as single word !
      >
      > set-char-mask "1" "\\\\-" would conflict with the Division-mask above but alone it is also not working.
      >
      > Any solution for this ?

      The set-char-mask is not meant for this kind of use, what should be used to
      fix this problem is the latex-spell-word function found in hklatex.emf. It can
      be made to do this but its not trivial so if you what to have a stab yourself
      you're more than welcome otherwise I'll add it to my to-do list.

      > 2. Another great advantage for writing of scientific papers would be if a word is written let's say five times in a text it is added to the users dictionary automatically. This avoids borrowing additions of words manually by hand. So the task for ME should be:
      >
      > Count each word in a text; if n > 5 then add it to the dictionary !
      >
      > Any workaround for this, may be also with the aid of a tool like awk or
      whatever ?

      Assuming the word is not written 5 times on the trot, what you are suggesting
      is that ME keeps a big table of all suspicious words somewhere and counts their
      occurrence. Assuming I spell the same document 5 times over (not uncommon for
      me) all bogus words would be added!

      I think this would be a typical MicroSoft feature, i.e. looks and sounds good
      but in practice would be more annoying than beneficial. Couple that with the
      potential enormity of the bogus word list and the simplicity of adding the
      word yourself I propose to leave things as they are.