Weird character

  • first last
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
      Hi. I have found a slight annoyance with ME on Gentoo 2004-2. I am
      using pewkm and so I can join frames in tabs, and have mapped windows
      (Mod4) + l to next tab. On ME. as soon as as I press the windows key I
      get an accented character (ë), so I can't use that method. It only
      happens on me.

      Could it be possible to avoid this behavoiur? Is it a bug in ME or in
      xorgs keyboard handling?

      I am using xorg with 105 keyboard with gb layout.

      Thanks

      Gabriel

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
        first last wrote:
        > Hi. I have found a slight annoyance with ME on Gentoo 2004-2. I am
        > using pewkm and so I can join frames in tabs, and have mapped windows
        > (Mod4) + l to next tab. On ME. as soon as as I press the windows key I
        > get an accented character (ë), so I can't use that method. It only
        > happens on me.
        >
        > Could it be possible to avoid this behavoiur? Is it a bug in ME or in
        > xorgs keyboard handling?
        >
        > I am using xorg with 105 keyboard with gb layout.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Gabriel

        Gabriel,

        Below are a selection of previous psotings on bad keys
        and translations methods. You should be able to map
        (or get rid of) the key using one of the following
        methods. Once you know what the key sequence is then
        it is fairly easy to map it out or translate it to
        something more useful.

        Regards
        Jon

        From: 04/01/14

        M-x describe-key

        Then hit the key giving you a problem.
        Will display the key code that it received.

        If there are multiple keys being sent in then
        use:

        M-x list-variables

        and find the variable $recent-keys this
        will show you all of the keys that
        have come in recently. Trouble with
        $recent-keys is that you have to type
        keys to get to it. What I normally is
        temporarily bind list variables to
        a key i.e.

        M-x global-bind-key<CR>
        global bind:list-variables<CR>
        to:<f9>

        The binding should now be set up, now enter
        the following sequence of keys.

        <f9> - should get variable list with new binding.
        <duff key> - strike duff key once
        <f9> - should update the variable list

        Your duff key codes will be between the two f9's
        in the variable $recent-keys.

        If there are multiple characters received then
        use translate-key to turn them into nothing or
        somethiong else. Could also use translate-key
        to turn a single key into nothing - I think this
        works - if it does translate key is better than
        the void binding to get rid of the key.

        From: 04/01/14

        If you do not want it then globally bind it to "void"

        i.e.

        global-bind-key void "<key code>"

        From: 04/01/17

        Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
        key is to find out the key code and then use
        translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
        translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
        so you can use this as an example of how to
        translate a key i.e.

        translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

        If you want to get rid of a key then use

        global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

        Add the translations and global bindings
        to your <user>.emf file so they are run
        at startup. If you use a single common
        <user>.emf across all platforms then
        use the $platform variable
        to determine the platform and decide
        what translations to apply similar to
        keyboard.emf.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2004
          Gabriel,

          You may also need to get ME to ignore the windows modifier keys, at around 1893 of unixterm.c add the 'Super' key definition, i.e.:

          case XK_Meta_R:
          case XK_Alt_L:
          case XK_Alt_R:
          #ifdef XK_ISO_Level3_Shift
          case XK_ISO_Level3_Shift:
          #endif
          #ifdef XK_Super_L
          /* Windows keys */
          case XK_Super_L:
          case XK_Super_R:
          #endif
          goto ignore_key;

          default:

          Please let me know whether this or something else fixes the problem,

          Steve

          From: 04/01/17

          Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
          key is to find out the key code and then use
          translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
          translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
          so you can use this as an example of how to
          translate a key i.e.

          translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

          If you want to get rid of a key then use

          global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

          Add the translations and global bindings
          to your <user>.emf file so they are run
          at startup. If you use a single common
          <user>.emf across all platforms then
          use the $platform variable
          to determine the platform and decide
          what translations to apply similar to
          keyboard.emf.

          > ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          modify your account settings manually.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • first last
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
            Thanks Jon and Steven, the global-bind-key function did the trick. Now
            I can go back to using tabs :)

            Do you think that it would be a good idea to include a faq entry in the
            help menu? It would probably save you answering the same questions over
            and over in this list...

            Gabriel
            --- Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------

            From: 04/01/17

            Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
            key is to find out the key code and then use
            translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
            translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
            so you can use this as an example of how to
            translate a key i.e.

            translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

            If you want to get rid of a key then use

            global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

            Add the translations and global bindings
            to your <user>.emf file so they are run
            at startup. If you use a single common
            <user>.emf across all platforms then
            use the $platform variable
            to determine the platform and decide
            what translations to apply similar to
            keyboard.emf.

            Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!
            http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            modify your account settings manually.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT