Fedora Linux (Kernel 2.6)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2004
      A binary package for Fedora Linux has been published
      on www.jasspa.com. This resolves the issues with
      the pty setup under Linux Kernel 2.6.

      Jon.
    • first last
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
        Hi. I have found a slight annoyance with ME on Gentoo 2004-2. I am
        using pewkm and so I can join frames in tabs, and have mapped windows
        (Mod4) + l to next tab. On ME. as soon as as I press the windows key I
        get an accented character (ë), so I can't use that method. It only
        happens on me.

        Could it be possible to avoid this behavoiur? Is it a bug in ME or in
        xorgs keyboard handling?

        I am using xorg with 105 keyboard with gb layout.

        Thanks

        Gabriel

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
          first last wrote:
          > Hi. I have found a slight annoyance with ME on Gentoo 2004-2. I am
          > using pewkm and so I can join frames in tabs, and have mapped windows
          > (Mod4) + l to next tab. On ME. as soon as as I press the windows key I
          > get an accented character (ë), so I can't use that method. It only
          > happens on me.
          >
          > Could it be possible to avoid this behavoiur? Is it a bug in ME or in
          > xorgs keyboard handling?
          >
          > I am using xorg with 105 keyboard with gb layout.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Gabriel

          Gabriel,

          Below are a selection of previous psotings on bad keys
          and translations methods. You should be able to map
          (or get rid of) the key using one of the following
          methods. Once you know what the key sequence is then
          it is fairly easy to map it out or translate it to
          something more useful.

          Regards
          Jon

          From: 04/01/14

          M-x describe-key

          Then hit the key giving you a problem.
          Will display the key code that it received.

          If there are multiple keys being sent in then
          use:

          M-x list-variables

          and find the variable $recent-keys this
          will show you all of the keys that
          have come in recently. Trouble with
          $recent-keys is that you have to type
          keys to get to it. What I normally is
          temporarily bind list variables to
          a key i.e.

          M-x global-bind-key<CR>
          global bind:list-variables<CR>
          to:<f9>

          The binding should now be set up, now enter
          the following sequence of keys.

          <f9> - should get variable list with new binding.
          <duff key> - strike duff key once
          <f9> - should update the variable list

          Your duff key codes will be between the two f9's
          in the variable $recent-keys.

          If there are multiple characters received then
          use translate-key to turn them into nothing or
          somethiong else. Could also use translate-key
          to turn a single key into nothing - I think this
          works - if it does translate key is better than
          the void binding to get rid of the key.

          From: 04/01/14

          If you do not want it then globally bind it to "void"

          i.e.

          global-bind-key void "<key code>"

          From: 04/01/17

          Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
          key is to find out the key code and then use
          translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
          translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
          so you can use this as an example of how to
          translate a key i.e.

          translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

          If you want to get rid of a key then use

          global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

          Add the translations and global bindings
          to your <user>.emf file so they are run
          at startup. If you use a single common
          <user>.emf across all platforms then
          use the $platform variable
          to determine the platform and decide
          what translations to apply similar to
          keyboard.emf.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2004
            Gabriel,

            You may also need to get ME to ignore the windows modifier keys, at around 1893 of unixterm.c add the 'Super' key definition, i.e.:

            case XK_Meta_R:
            case XK_Alt_L:
            case XK_Alt_R:
            #ifdef XK_ISO_Level3_Shift
            case XK_ISO_Level3_Shift:
            #endif
            #ifdef XK_Super_L
            /* Windows keys */
            case XK_Super_L:
            case XK_Super_R:
            #endif
            goto ignore_key;

            default:

            Please let me know whether this or something else fixes the problem,

            Steve

            From: 04/01/17

            Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
            key is to find out the key code and then use
            translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
            translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
            so you can use this as an example of how to
            translate a key i.e.

            translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

            If you want to get rid of a key then use

            global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

            Add the translations and global bindings
            to your <user>.emf file so they are run
            at startup. If you use a single common
            <user>.emf across all platforms then
            use the $platform variable
            to determine the platform and decide
            what translations to apply similar to
            keyboard.emf.

            > ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            modify your account settings manually.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • first last
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
              Thanks Jon and Steven, the global-bind-key function did the trick. Now
              I can go back to using tabs :)

              Do you think that it would be a good idea to include a faq entry in the
              help menu? It would probably save you answering the same questions over
              and over in this list...

              Gabriel
              --- Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------

              From: 04/01/17

              Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
              key is to find out the key code and then use
              translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
              translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
              so you can use this as an example of how to
              translate a key i.e.

              translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

              If you want to get rid of a key then use

              global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

              Add the translations and global bindings
              to your <user>.emf file so they are run
              at startup. If you use a single common
              <user>.emf across all platforms then
              use the $platform variable
              to determine the platform and decide
              what translations to apply similar to
              keyboard.emf.

              Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!
              http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

              modify your account settings manually.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT