Digging through the system files

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
      Hi,

      while digging through the files, which come with the Jasspa
      Microemacs distribution, I found the following "construction", which
      not clear to me:

      <n> <macro>.....

      For some macros the <n> is explained the manual.

      But -- for example -- for "define-macro-file" I cannot find an explanation.

      What does -- for example -- mean:

      0 define-macro-file ..... ???

      Is there some "global" explanation for those <n>, and all (rare)
      extra explanation for <n> for some macros are exceptions? If yes:
      Where can I find that "global explanation" ?

      Thank you very much for any help in advance! :O)

      Meino
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
        Meino,

        The argument <n> for define-macro-file has the same effect as the argument for define-macro. An argument of 0 is used to avoid polluting the command list with commands the user should not execute/use directly, for example, type 'esc x if tab' this completes to ifill-paragraph even through this macro uses the macros ifill-para1 & ifill-para2. Without this feature 'if tab' would only complete to 'ifill-para' and the user wondering what the other 2 commands do...

      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
          From: "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@...>
          Subject: RE: [jasspa] Digging through the system files
          Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 02:53:49 -0400

          Hi Steve,

          thank you a lot for the info ! :)

          I thought of this but then I found "ascii-time" as well explained in
          the manual (and therefore I thought it would be visible to the user)
          as declared ("defined","set" ot whatever english word is correct.. ;)
          sorry) in the "0 define-macro-file utils.emf"-statement in me.emf,
          and therefore it would be not visible to the user.

          At this point I did no what I should believe: ;)
          The manual, the file me.emf or my own thought about the "0" in front
          of "define-macro-file".

          You see: YOur answer has helped me out of a lot confusion... :) :O) ;-) X-)

          Meino