Re: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
      From: Salman Khilji <salmankhilji@...>
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:33:38 -0700 (PDT)

      Hi,

      ...this is just like a shot in the dark...but...

      A few weeks ago I had a similiar problem with a program stating, that
      it could not find any pty...(I tink it was the tool "screen"...).

      I solved the problem in compiling a new kernel which supports
      both the legacy BSDlike PTY support
      (config help text says:

      Legacy (BSD) PTY support (LEGACY_PTYS)

      A pseudo terminal (PTY) is a software device consisting of two
      halves: a master and a slave. The slave device behaves identical to
      a physical terminal; the master device is used by a process to
      read data from and write data to the slave, thereby emulating a
      terminal. Typical programs for the master side are telnet servers
      and xterms.

      Linux has traditionally used the BSD-like names /dev/ptyxx
      for masters and /dev/ttyxx for slaves of pseudo
      terminals. This scheme has a number of problems, including
      security. This option enables these legacy devices; on most
      systems, it is safe to say N.

      )

      and the modern Unix98 PTYs.

      ..or, in other words...

      ME uses the old style "BSD STYLE LEGACY PTYs"...and on kernels of
      distros this (old and security risky( fearture is switched off....

      Therefore ME hangs in searching for something, which does not exists anymore...

      Keep hacking!
      Meino

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
        That looks about spot on, Salman's 'fix' should allow programs like grep or
        find to run in ME but ishell (a unix shell within ME) is unlikely to work as
        the shell requires proper Job and terminal control which means it needs the
        pseudo terminal. So does anyone have any docs on the new style PTYs? Is there
        a system call to allocate one or is it simply a different naming convension?

        Steve

      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
          From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
          Subject: Re[2]: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
          Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:05:40 +0100

          Unfortunately I am no kernel hacker.
          But my be you will find, what you are looking for, in the
          "Documentation" subtree of a current linux kernel source tree ?

          Keep hacking!
          Meino

        • salmankhilji
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
            --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@j...> wrote:
            > That looks about spot on, Salman's 'fix' should allow programs like
            grep or
            > find to run in ME but ishell (a unix shell within ME) is unlikely to
            work as
            > the shell requires proper Job and terminal control which means it
            needs the
            > pseudo terminal. So does anyone have any docs on the new style PTYs?
            Is there
            > a system call to allocate one or is it simply a different naming
            convension?

            Would it help if I post the result of

            cd /dev
            ls -l pt*

            The results are rather long which is why I don't want to post it here

            Salman